• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Change in coil Ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
I'm now starting to find that my coils fior my Cleomizer I30s are drastically changing from 2.1 Ohms all the way up to 5.4 within a 10 days or so. Could it be the fact the I'm rinsing then in water every time I change the juice (every few days) or just a crappy box of fake FT Ikkon coils, or my mod ( E-Holly). I just don't know??

In any event, the burning taste becomes sickening after each vape, that I have to change the coils much more often now.

My Volts are usually set at around 5,and the watts usually around 10, but when the Ohms go all wonky, so do the volts and watts. Volts much higher and watts lower. Terribly bad taste...

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Sounds like a bad connection between the PV and the head. Make sure all the connections are clean.

If your PV mis-reads the coil resistance, it will try to drive the coil much harder than you want it to. (In other words, if the coil is really 2.1 ohms, but the mod thinks it's 5 ohms, it will drive it with a lot more power than you wanted, which will burn the juice).

Will your mod run in VV mode? You might want to try that and see if the problem goes away. Make sure your head is tightly screwed together, and not too tight on the PV.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Connections at the rubber insulators contribute to resistance rise. The solder joints also fail slowly from heat.

That problem is what made me quit buying premade coils. They'd taste fine the first day, maybe two if you got a good one, then they'd rise in resistance, taste bad, and fail. The failure mode is at the solder (hopefully silver solder) junction where the resistance wire meets the non-resistive wire on each side. The non-resistive legs are there to prevent heating of the rubber insulators in the coil head.

I changed to a Kayfun and never looked back. Kayfun and other screw connection type heads don't need non-resistive legs for safety since the wire goes to a screw down point with nothing that can burn. Kanthal coils get better connections and last a month or more with twice a week cotton wick changes.

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Sounds like a bad connection between the PV and the head. Make sure all the connections are clean.

If your PV mis-reads the coil resistance, it will try to drive the coil much harder than you want it to. (In other words, if the coil is really 2.1 ohms, but the mod thinks it's 5 ohms, it will drive it with a lot more power than you wanted, which will burn the juice).

Will your mod run in VV mode? You might want to try that and see if the problem goes away. Make sure your head is tightly screwed together, and not too tight on the PV.

Could very well be a bad connection. I'll check that again next time it happens.

Thanks guys..

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
That problem is what made me quit buying premade coils. They'd taste fine the first day, maybe two if you got a good one, then they'd rise in resistance, taste bad, and fail. The failure mode is at the solder (hopefully silver solder) junction where the resistance wire meets the non-resistive wire on each side. The non-resistive legs are there to prevent heating of the rubber insulators in the coil head.

I changed to a Kayfun and never looked back. Kayfun and other screw connection type heads don't need non-resistive legs for safety since the wire goes to a screw down point with nothing that can burn. Kanthal coils get better connections and last a month or more with twice a week cotton wick changes.

Learning how to do that will be my winter goal. Should be enough YouTube videos on instructing me. Still having problems installing the premade wicks to my smaller Korean coils. I'm following the video on FT to a tee, but failing to get an electric connection every time. Makes me feel quite useless, as the video is very well made, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm repeatedly doing wrong. Seems as simple as pie, and truly is, but no heat yet.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Learning how to do that will be my winter goal. Should be enough YouTube videos on instructing me. Still having problems installing the premade wicks to my smaller Korean coils. I'm following the video on FT to a tee, but failing to get an electric connection every time. Makes me feel quite useless, as the video is very well made, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm repeatedly doing wrong. Seems as simple as pie, and truly is, but no heat yet.

The link below is a very good step by step pictorial guide for recoiling a Kayfun 3.1. It's one of the easier RBA's to work with. There's plenty of room. You just have to make sure your coil leads are tight in the screws and that there's no ragged wire ends hanging out to touch the chimney when you install it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tutorials/503153-kayfun-3-1-microcoil-cotton-guide.html

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
The link below is a very good step by step pictorial guide for recoiling a Kayfun 3.1. It's one of the easier RBA's to work with. There's plenty of room. You just have to make sure your coil leads are tight in the screws and that there's no ragged wire ends hanging out to touch the chimney when you install it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tutorials/503153-kayfun-3-1-microcoil-cotton-guide.html

Thanks for that my friend. That link is exactly what I needed.

Cheers...

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014

Finally, success. My mistake all along with replacing the wicks with the pre-made wired ones from FT, was having the center wrapped wires, touching the side of the coil itself. Thus causing a short. Now I'm very careful to position it correctly and even squish the 'wrap-around' of wire as they are a wee bit too wide for my iddy bitty Korean Hakamizer. The only reason I haven't thrown the thing in the trash yet, is because I spent a ridiculous 100,000 won for the pathetic thing. Now that I don't have to buy the overpriced once a week cloned coils for it from the local e-cigarette shop, it might come in handy for a backup of a backup of a backup. Or, I'll just give it to my Korean Brother in law. Come to think of it, he'd have troubles charging it, putting liquid in it, and no doubt lose it in the Room Salon. Forget that idea.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014

Quick question. Are these things available to be bought pre-assembled, or do I need to buy piece by piece?

If you know of a decent FT link for such a unit, do you mind posting the link?

Good vibes will be sent you way. I promise :)

Thanks so much...

UPDATE: Is this the thing I need here?

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10006473/1494700-svoemesto-kayfun-v3-1-es-styled-rebuildable

Or,

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10006473/1494700-svoemesto-kayfun-v3-1-es-styled-rebuildable

Now I've heard some talk about the "cotton" for possibly the wicks. Is that something that FT doesn't sell, which I'll need? How about wire? Are there pre-made wick and wire sets available?

From looking through the site, under "Related Items", I can't seem to find those things.

Thanks again my friends....

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
$26.58 Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Style Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5ml) - 1:1 clone / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I believe this is the clone from (SXK) Infinite. I'd recommend this one over the 3.1 for a number of reasons.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10011393/1981101

Even better an authentic Eleaf Lemo. Coils and wicks like a Kayfun. Glass tank for your juice crackers.

$2.48 Authentic Kanthal A1 Nichrome Resistance Wire for RBA RDA RTA Rebuildable Atomizers - 27 AWG / 0.38mm*5m / 12.8ohm/m at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

or

$3.94 Authentic Kanthal A1 Nichrome Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (50-Pack) 50-pack - 1.5ohm / 0.3mm dia. / 20*30mm leads at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

It's nichrome not Kanthal A1 but it will work. Myself personally I don't see any difference between the two as far as taste.

$2.10 Cotton Wick for Rebuildable Atomizers (50-Pack) 50-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Not organic but will do you till you can find.

$12.72 BEST DT-9205M Digital Multimeter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Only suggestion. But for your builds it would work. Good for checking your batteries too.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009160/1448300-nemesis-style-mechanical-mod

Excellent mech mod. Will take a kick if you want. I have two of them and they are my go to when I'm out and about.

Best of all, all can be bought on fasttech.

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014

Thanks Waddle. Many many thanks. Am I gonna need the extra cotton you posted as a link, if I buy the Pre-coiled wires?

I noticed some Pre-coiled wires for atonimizers with cotton already attached.

Such as these. Would they work?

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007181/1591604-pre-made-wires-and-wicks-for-atomizer-50-pack

Thanks Waddle. I'm hoping for a premade wick and wire combo.

Cheers..

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
The link you listed are not micro-coils. They are just wrapped silica. They will work. But I would say the vast majority of people use cotton with microcoils these days. The wicking properties are just so much better.

You won't get pre-wicked coils with cotton. Depending on how much you vape and what kind of juice will determine how often you change your wicks. I'm a heavy vaper and high VG so I change mine out every day. But for most a few days to a week. YMMV. Once you get the hang of it, changing out the cotton takes 5 minutes. Wrapping coils has a bit of a learning curve unless you buy pre-wrapped.

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
The link you listed are not micro-coils. They are just wrapped silica. They will work. But I would say the vast majority of people use cotton with microcoils these days. The wicking properties are just so much better.

You won't get pre-wicked coils with cotton. Depending on how much you vape and what kind of juice will determine how often you change your wicks. I'm a heavy vaper and high VG so I change mine out every day. But for most a few days to a week. YMMV. Once you get the hang of it, changing out the cotton takes 5 minutes. Wrapping coils has a bit of a learning curve unless you buy pre-wrapped.

So, is basically a silica wrapped wire in an atomizer be better or worse than sticking to a Protank 2 or a Clearomizer i30c with coils that burn out and bereplaced over and over. It wouldn't be one step above? What's the problems with silica, just minor?

For I have no idea how to wrap cotton, and the energy or patience to be searching around for the appropriate cotton possibly from Japan? Is the cotton you listed not recommended?

Thanks for you patience Waddle. This site is very fortunate to have members like you, to help with people like me. Truly I appreciate it.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Everything I listed is fine. You don't absolutely need organic cotton. Its a choice. Some people swear by silica on their Kayfuns. Again a personal choice. I just dont find it that much more convenient to change out the coil with silica. You can't just replace the silica, you need to remove it and screw it down new everytime. Once you have built a proper micro-coil it will last a month or more. Remove cotton, dry burn, replace cotton.

You always get a little wire and silica when you buy an RTA. See which one you like best. Buy the wrapped silica..its only $2.00 :) None of the items I listed will break the bank. And you will spend less in time and money in the long run with an RTA...without the hassle of clearomizers.

There are tons of youtube videos on how to wick kayfuns with silica or cotton. Its really not that difficult. But it does take some patience in the beginning.

To answer your question. Absoulutely, even a Kayfun with silica is better than your clearomizers. Both for taste and vapor production.

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Everything I listed is fine. You don't absolutely need organic cotton. Its a choice. Some people swear by silica on their Kayfuns. Again a personal choice. I just dont find it that much more convenient to change out the coil with silica. You can't just replace the silica, you need to remove it and screw it down new everytime. Once you have built a proper micro-coil it will last a month or more. Remove cotton, dry burn, replace cotton.

You always get a little wire and silica when you buy an RTA. See which one you like best. Buy the wrapped silica..its only $2.00 :) None of the items I listed will break the bank. And you will spend less in time and money in the long run with an RTA...without the hassle of clearomizers.

There are tons of youtube videos on how to wick kayfuns with silica or cotton. Its really not that difficult. But it does take some patience in the beginning.

To answer your question. Absoulutely, even a Kayfun with silica is better than your clearomizers. Both for taste and vapor production.

Thanks for ALL that info and links. I'm gonna order that Kayfun Lite Plus V2 (even though there seems to many cheaper atomizers - I value respect your experience. Also, will order that Digital Multimeter for as you say it will come in handy for many things. And for $12, that's a bargain. As for mods, I already have about 6 of them. Newest one being the E-Holly 20W and the iTaste VTR (not sure if that's technically called a mod, nor the other). In any event, I have too many of them and if my wife sees another one, she'll breath fire.

Again, thanks my friend. Hope I can help you one day in some way or another, as you have for me.

goodnight..

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Personally I would go with authentic Eleaf Lemo over the Kayfuns. Yes it's more money but it's authentic, easier to refill, and it has a glass tank. Plastic tanks can crack or deterioate with some juices.

The Kayfuns are good, but a bit dated. There is a new Kayfun 4 just released but their are no clones out yet. And honestly it doesn't look all that great...to many parts for my liking.

And a good night to you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread