Changed to another coil that was rated for higher wattage and it got burnt. Nooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2022
So I was using a coil rated 75-85 watts, used it for like a week. Never turned brown. I smoked it a lot too, about the same as this new one I put in. It's rated for 80-90 watts. I've only had it on 80. The juice inside turned brown and the cotton too, same as what happened with my old vape that went bad. On top of this, the guy at the smoke shop sold me the wrong coil. He said "flavor or clouds?" I was like. "Flavor" and he gave me the 80-90 watt coils that produced way more vapor... So the ones for bigger clouds. ~_~ on top of that, their system came up and charged me 20$ and it said 3 coils on the computer. I only got two in the box.. AND ON TOP OF THAT! the seal on the box was broken, someone had already opened it.

I'm really disappointed. My old coil with lower wattage seemed way more tolerant of the way I was vaping. I should also add.. this new coil seems like it's really using a lot more juice.

Is there a way I can clean this coil and remove the taste? I can't taste the juice now, it's just sweet with little bit of vague flavor. It sucks, cause the first two guys were really good, the third dude must have been really high or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superuser187

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2022
So I was using a coil rated 75-85 watts, used it for like a week. Never turned brown. I smoked it a lot too, about the same as this new one I put in. It's rated for 80-90 watts. I've only had it on 80. The juice inside turned brown and the cotton too, same as what happened with my old vape that went bad. On top of this, the guy at the smoke shop sold me the wrong coil. He said "flavor or clouds?" I was like. "Flavor" and he gave me the 80-90 watt coils that produced way more vapor... So the ones for bigger clouds. ~_~ on top of that, their system came up and charged me 20$ and it said 3 coils on the computer. I only got two in the box.. AND ON TOP OF THAT! the seal on the box was broken, someone had already opened it.

I'm really disappointed. My old coil with lower wattage seemed way more tolerant of the way I was vaping.

Is there a way I can clean this coil and remove the taste? I can't taste the juice now, it's just sweet with little bit of vague flavor. It sucks, cause the first two guys were really good, the third dude must have been really high or something.
I also just noticed, I can see air bubbles come out in the tank, literally after I take one hit. It's got a different wick in it. I guess it's not as good at sucking up the juice.

Reactions: Superuser187

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I also just noticed, I can see air bubbles come out in the tank, literally after I take one hit. It's got a different wick in it. I guess it's not as good at sucking up the juice.
Air bubbles after taking a hit is normal. It means that the wick is wicking.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    First of all you done smoke it, you vape it. You gave up smoking. Your second coil might have been a dud, but if you enjoyed the vape that you got from the first one, why not stick with it. I'd go back to the store where you bought the coils, explain the problem you had with the bad coil, plus the problem of the missing coil. Try and get an exchange for the type of coils you had before. Keep in mind that a dud coil sometimes occurs in any batch of coils. You could always get one again in the future. There's no trick to bringing them alive.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Is there a way I can clean this coil and remove the taste?

The taste of burnt cotton? Not really.

I'm really disappointed.

Yeah, well welcome to the world of factory coil heads. Quality control has always been an issue. Some companies are better than others, but you will always get dud coils, even whole packs.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Just a point with mentioning....just because a coil is rated at a wattage it doesnt mean you have to vape it at that wattage.
    I use lots of different coils below the minimum recommended wattage.
    Always start off low and take a few draws. Slowly up the wattage until you find the wattage that your happy with. This will also slowly bed the coil in and hopefully make it last longer.
    As reference, my Freemax coil is rated at 60W minimum, I vape it at 35W and gives me a perfect vape.

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
    Mar 23, 2022
    Just a point with mentioning....just because a coil is rated at a wattage it doesnt mean you have to vape it at that wattage.
    I use lots of different coils below the minimum recommended wattage.
    Always start off low and take a few draws. Slowly up the wattage until you find the wattage that your happy with. This will also slowly bed the coil in and hopefully make it last longer.
    As reference, my Freemax coil is rated at 60W minimum, I vape it at 35W and gives me a perfect vape.

I really need to try this. Unfortunately I've totally spoiled myself cause at high wattage it's so sweet and flavorful, and I've probably given myself bad vapers tounge cause I can't taste anything when I turn down the wattage.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I really need to try this. Unfortunately I've totally spoiled myself cause at high wattage it's so sweet and flavorful, and I've probably given myself bad vapers tounge cause I can't taste anything when I turn down the wattage.
    The flavor should still come through just not as intense. I increase from low then go higher until I'm happy with the vape. Its definitely worth starting low on a new coil first then slowly increasing it.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    It does depend on the juice though. Some juices produce very little flavor if vaped at a low temperature.
    However, even with these juices, it’s better to start low and ‘work’ your way up until you hit the sweet spot. Personally I vape at around 30W, maximum 35, but with a new coil I always start at 10-15W, just for a few puffs.

The flavor should still come through just not as intense. I increase from low then go higher until I'm happy with the vape. Its definitely worth starting low on a new coil first then slowly increasing it.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    There's also a coil longevity trick that I feel works for me and also makes some logical sense. Instead of stopping pulling once you release the power button continue pulling air through it after you let off the power and it will cool down the metal coil a little bit faster which in my opinion it makes sense to want to do. If you're no longer pulling air through and the coil is still hot it's going to caramelize the juice more than it would if it cools down fast. Maybe it's all in my head but doing that improves my coil longevity at least a little maybe a couple days extra on a coil if I do that compared to if I don't.

The slow break-in that someone mentioned when you have a new coil absolutely spot-on. I think that also increases coil life.

As far as the coils you were sold I would be very upset if I paid $20 for three coils and only got two It sounds like it's one of the shops that sells single coils as well and that was just one of the packages that they took one of the coils out already. You should absolutely go back in and explain the situation and try to get the coils that you were very happy with before but at the very least they owe you a coil

Northernshrink

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2012
    Bracebridge Ont Canada
    You also don’t have to vape the range the coil states. I would suggest starting out pretty low and work up in small increments until you find your sweet spot. You can always go up but if you start high and fry it it’s done unless you like the flavour of burnt cotton. I use 0.4 coils primarily and generally stay between 30-35.

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
    Mar 23, 2022
    Both my tanks with single mesh coils are still holding up amazingly. And I especially been chain vaping the f outta the Valyrian. The juice is even a very sweet one. Yellow in color. Still no caramelization or browning of the cotton like I experienced with the dual mesh. Maybe they heat up too much and just don't have enough airflow. I've also been taking peoples advice in sucking air thru. It definitely also seems to help it's cooler outside.

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
    Mar 23, 2022
    Both my tanks with single mesh coils are still holding up amazingly. And I especially been chain vaping the f outta the Valyrian. The juice is even a very sweet one. Yellow in color. Still no caramelization or browning of the cotton like I experienced with the dual mesh. Maybe they heat up too much and just don't have enough airflow. I've also been taking peoples advice in sucking air thru. It definitely also seems to help it's cooler outside.

I can't find the post where someone asked me about it he Valyrian coils longevity. But since I made that post, it's been like nearly a week and a half I think, still going strong, no burning, white cotton, and I chain. Vape the f out of it at about 75watts. Still good flavor as well. appearantly it's not too uncommon to have problems with dual mesh coils burning out very quick.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I can't find the post where someone asked me about it he Valyrian coils longevity. But since I made that post, it's been like nearly a week and a half I think, still going strong, no burning, white cotton, and I chain. Vape the f out of it at about 75watts. Still good flavor as well. appearantly it's not too uncommon to have problems with dual mesh coils burning out very quick.

It's a little hard to tell when a new factory coil is completely saturated. I wind my own coils these days, but when I used factory coils I would pour about a half inch of juice into a shot glass and put the atomizer into the glass (tank up) and let the atomizer bottom soak up the juice for about 30 minutes. That was the best way I found to completely soak the cotton thoroughly. Some attys are harder than others to prime.

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
    Mar 23, 2022
    It's a little hard to tell when a new factory coil is completely saturated. I wind my own coils these days, but when I used factory coils I would pour about a half inch of juice into a shot glass and put the atomizer into the glass (tank up) and let the atomizer bottom soak up the juice for about 30 minutes. That was the best way I found to completely soak the cotton thoroughly. Some attys are harder than others to prime.

I make sure I prime them well, and let it sit for 15-30 min. But I think I spoke my coil going into exsisence, right after I updated that post I got a hit with a burned taste. Weird enough, it's sometimes like that for 1 then Its fine. I think it's definitely time to change it now tho. I really wanna build my wake RTA and try it out tho. I could end up liking RTAs way better.

Edit: I don't know why it tasted a little burnt yesterday. It could be cause of the cold I had, cause as of today, this coil is still working great. Still lots of flavor and not burnt at all.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread