Running sub-ohm coil below wattage rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Matthews

Apr 19, 2019
Hi all,

First post. Did a search, but my question seems too specific and hasn't been addressed, according to my research.

I'm running a Geek Vape Aegis Mini (great mod, by the way) and an Aspire cleito Pro tank with the supplied 0.15 ohm coil rated between 60-75 watts.

This thing produces HUGE clouds wide open and at the rated wattage, but I'm a more conservative MTL user.

Is running at 35 watts and vent holes shut down about 90% (which produces a great MTL hit, BTW) going to harm or reduce the coil life?

I heard on a review this can occur, but didn't know if the guy knew his poop.

Thanks so much for the 411 and cheers!

David

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi all,

First post. Did a search, but my question seems too specific and hasn't been addressed, according to my research.

I'm running a Geek Vape Aegis Mini (great mod, by the way) and an Aspire Cleito Pro tank with the supplied 0.15 ohm coil rated between 60-75 watts.

This thing produces HUGE clouds wide open and at the rated wattage, but I'm a more conservative MTL user.

Is running at 35 watts and vent holes shut down about 90% (which produces a great MTL hit, BTW) going to harm or reduce the coil life?

David
Hi David,
In general, yes, using a big air DTL tank/coil at MTL- (lower wattage/air flow) settings may not cool the coil efficiently and may not wick the juice well enough.
Using a higher ohm coil may help a bit, but a dedicated MTL tank will be a better match.

HTH
I

David Matthews

Apr 19, 2019
Hi David,
In general, yes, using a big air DTL tank/coil at MTL- (lower wattage/air flow) settings may not cool the coil efficiently and may not wick the juice well enough.
Using a higher ohm coil may help a bit, but a dedicated MTL tank will be a better match.

HTH
I

Well, I popped it up to 60 watts and opened her up--what a beast! Short MTL hits so far (will take some getting used to), but flavor and "coolness" is much improved.

Thanks all!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I vape dtl, lower ohm coils. I usually vape at minimum recommended wattage or below. I prefer a cool vape, I notice no difference in coil life.
I use the Cerberus tank that came with my Aegis Mini. Its mesh coil calls for at least 40 watts (recommended) but I also prefer a cooler vape and run it at about 20 watts. Using this coil at the recommended 40 watts is too warm and harsh for me. The original coil has been in use for over a month, although I must admit that this setup is my secondary vape and is not used as heavily as my primary setup.

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hi all,

I'm running a Geek Vape Aegis Mini (great mod, by the way) and an Aspire Cleito Pro tank with the supplied 0.15 ohm coil rated between 60-75 watts.

David

There should be verry little concern about this. If it works, then by all means, do it.

What are some negative effects that may occur? Well, many tanks work on a pressure system. Every time you inhale, you create a negative pressure which draws more juice into the wick. Reducing the airflow will create even more of a negative pressure and draw too much eliquid into the wick. It may cause some flooding, but if it's not the flooding, then you don't have to worry about this.

The second thing to worry about, is the heat. Most of the lower ohm coils use a thicker wire. That takes longer for the coil to heat up. So, you won't get the same heat/flavor as you would with it's recommended wattage, but if you think it tastes fine, then no worries.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    There should be verry little concern about this. If it works, then by all means, do it.

What are some negative effects that may occur? Well, many tanks work on a pressure system. Every time you inhale, you create a negative pressure which draws more juice into the wick. Reducing the airflow will create even more of a negative pressure and draw too much eliquid into the wick. It may cause some flooding, but if it's not the flooding, then you don't have to worry about this.

The second thing to worry about, is the heat. Most of the lower ohm coils use a thicker wire. That takes longer for the coil to heat up. So, you won't get the same heat/flavor as you would with it's recommended wattage, but if you think it tastes fine, then no worries.
    Yeah, I remember atty makers stating early on that A/F control was about the wick/coil, not the user's inhalation wants and needs.

Reactions: stols001

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Yeah, I remember atty makers stating early on that A/F control was about the wick/coil, not the user's inhalation wants and needs.

It's actually a balance. I have some attys that work well with a tighter air setting, but when you open up the air, they dry hit. Some atomizers work no matter what the airflow. It depends more on the atomizer than anything else. If you ever start to get dry hits on an atomizer.. block the hole with your thumb and inhale a few times. With the first kanger Subtank, I had to poke holes in the cotton just so I can use it at a more open airflow.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    The relationship between airflow (the fluid dynamics inside the chamber), coil surface area, power level and wicking efficiency in any given atomizer is complex. However using them in most cases is not. Start at a low wattage, and increase the power level and airflow until your mouth hole tells you you have it right.
    Too hot and harsh? Back it off the watts and increase the airflow.
    Too cool or anaemic? Increase power and possibly reduce airflow.
    Your body is the result of several million years of evolution and is equipped with some damn fine senses, use them.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I am also going to point out that raising wattage and airflow is going to increase juice consumption to the point that it may cancel out any (theoretical) loss of life to the coil.

All things are in balance. LOL I can't believe I just typed that. But, I am vaping some RTAs with coils in them that I am going to bet a lot of folks would DOUBLE the resistance AT LEAST. But, I like my vapes the way they are.

Smoke them if you got them= Vape them HOW YOU like them.

Anna

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    I am also going to point out that raising wattage and airflow is going to increase juice consumption to the point that it may cancel out any (theoretical) loss of life to the coil.

All things are in balance. LOL I can't believe I just typed that. But, I am vaping some RTAs with coils in them that I am going to bet a lot of folks would DOUBLE the resistance AT LEAST. But, I like my vapes the way they are.

Smoke them if you got them= Vape them HOW YOU like them.

Anna

Now you understand Luke Skywalker's new outlook on the force. His vape gear is probably working fine now that he understands the balance of the force. :)

Don't be like Darth Vaper though... He always burns his coils. I suspect Kylo Ren uses a bad and expensive pod system.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    All things are in balance
    5ckYXBN.gif

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    Awwww, got my first disagree. :(

But stand by my comment above, which I will expound upon for the reading impaired: The wattage that suits the user may fall outside the recommended wattage printed on the coil, and that is perfectly OK - as long as it works for you. The recommended wattage is just that: a recommendation. Vaping outside that range is fine, and completely at the discretion of the user.

@sonicbomb summed it up beautifully in post #11.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    Awwww, got my first disagree. :(

But stand by my comment above, which I will expound upon for the reading impaired: The wattage that suits the user may fall outside the recommended wattage printed on the coil, and that is perfectly OK - as long as it works for you. The recommended wattage is just that: a recommendation. Vaping outside that range is fine, and completely at the discretion of the user.

@sonicbomb summed it up beautifully in post #11.
    when using a phone its easy to disagree with someone, by accident. Ive hit disagree quite a few times meaning to hit agree, so many times now I just aim for thumbs up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread