charging overnight (unattended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighEnergyProton

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Germany
All lithium batteries are at risk of overcharging when left unattended. I do NOT leave my phone, laptop, or ecig to charge unattended. Ever. Under any circumstances. If I had a Tesla automobile, I would not charge that overnight either. Yes, all of these use the same lithium battery technology, and in some cases, they use multiple lithium batteries run in series, which increases the risk exponentially.

I don't think people have enough respect for the sheer amount of energy that lithium batteries can hold in such a small package. I can only imagine the disasters that await us once Mr. Fusion comes to market.

krup2.jpg

Marty's facial expression is priceless! If I look at this I can picture him thinking ''has time machine, always in a rush :confused:''

As for the post, I charge my batteries from my laptop while I use it, and check if it's getting hot every so often. I don't trust the Ego charger too much.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Depends on your risk tolerance. Being awake and there you can mitigate the damage.

As to why websites and stores say not to? Litigation. Some doofus will sue because there wasn't a warning to not charge overnight when something goes wrong.

I charge mine in my basement on a baking sheet on cinder blocks. If you walk around my house there are iphones, ipods and ipads charging everywhere. I am constantly unplugging things, especially hair straightners, curlers and hair dryers. Drives me bonkers. It seems the ladies in my family don't listen to me. Ohh I hate apple products too.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I have never had nor do I know anyone that has had a battery explode or catch fire. For every example I see on utube I wonder what the real story was. The main reason you see all the warnings is because there are lawyers just waiting to make you an unknowing victim of the "evil battery companies" whose only real existence is to kill you and burn down your house with an 18650. I charge my motorcycle, my cell phone, my laptop and yes, ecig batteries, unattended overnight and sleep like a baby. If there comes a time when the first 15 minutes every night of the national news is dedicated to battery explosions then I may rethink this.

BTW: Unless your charger cost less than $0.99 it has a diode that prevents the reverse flow from the battery back to the charger. It is the similar to the diode that prevents it from attempting to charge a battery that is inserted backwards.

Just my $0.02.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Chances are leaving your batteries charging overnight or even unattended during the day will be just fine. Lots of people do it every day and have for years without ever having a problem. There ARE verified battery charging accidents with ecig batteries, lap top batteries, and cell phone batteries. Not a single person that had their battery go bad while charging ever thought it would happen to them. The problem is, we all think it will never happen to "me" because it's not something that happens often, but it does happen. Yes, I've accidentally left batteries charging overnight without ever having a problem, but I try hard to never leave any of my ecig or phone or tablet batteries charging unattended so IF something goes wrong I have the best chance possible to prevent it from becoming a major disaster.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Can you say you have NEVER charged a cordless home phone, or a cell phone overnight? The eCig batteries are no different than those in your cell phone or even your cordless home phone.

Call me what you will but I charge phones, laptops, tablets, Wii-Remote batteries, and yes eCig batteries overnight and have done so my whole life. Yes there COULD be some problem but the probability is EXTREMELY low. If batteries were really that dangerous, with as many devices as we all have charging, there would be crying in the streets to ban them...to save the children.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Sorry, I have to repeat myself, WHY TAKE A CHANCE???

Why drive? You risk your life every time you get into a car.
Why have anything plugged into a wall? One of my old neighbors house burned down due to a normal Lamp.
Everything has some risk associated with it. You are taking chances every day.

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
Why have anything plugged into a wall? One of my old neighbors house burned down due to a normal Lamp.

this^

You can get killed walking out the front door, you can die in your sleep, you can die breathing in bad fumes you can die in your car. You can, however, prevent certain things from happening that could cause serious harm or even death. You can not text and drive or talk on the phone and drive(I also call these people the scum of the earth, had a couple friends die because of idiot middle aged people talking or texting on their phones and hitting them...not teenagers[pathetic, right?]sorry I get a little carried away on this subject). A ton of accidental deaths each year can be prevented, sometimes it's truly just terrible luck, but sometimes it's people being stupid - even for a brief second.

In short, use your brain. Your safest bet is to charge when you are awake and in the house. I'd say there's a 97% chance it would be fine to leave for a short while as you run an errand or two, but there will always be that 3%. Be careful, don't be careless. Preventive accidents are what haunt people the most afterwards.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Very true, we do take chances all the time. Everything has some measure of risk associated with it.

IMO there is a huge difference in the risk/benefit ratio of some activities though. There is a large gain of freedom and life style improvement to driving a car. While there is also a real risk of you being injured or killed in a car, the benefit of taking that risk is also large.

There is a small risk of a charger going bad. The risk is fire. Charging a battery generally takes 1 to a few hours. What is the benefit to letting that run overnight? I gain maybe 2 minutes a week because I didn't take the time to pull plugs and plug them back in later. The benefit to not charging unattended is I eliminate the small risk of an unattended fire in my home.

We do a lot of little things every day to minimize risk. There is essentially no cost to me in not charging unattended so it's worth it for me. But as always, YMMV ;)

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I was charging mine overnight but now I'm wondering if others recommend against it.

In a Perfect World, where Products are tested using Strict Quality Control Standards and Contain the Highest Quality Components, there shouldn't be a Problem, or an Extremely Small Problem, with leaving Batteries Unattended while Charging.

But in a World where Products are Churned Out as Fast as Possible many Times with Little or No Real QC, and Genuine OEM Products are Sometimes Very Difficult, if Not Impossible, to tell, I would be Leery of Charging Batteries Unattended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread