Charon. Is the hype real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Hello fellow ecf members :)
Hope everyone's having a great day.

So one of my friends recently shifted to the USA and he wants to upgrade from those IJUST devices to regulated box mods. He told me that he's been looking around at reviews and the charon is really popular these days and i got interested in it too.
So i thought I'll ask you guys before i tell him to get one for himself and one for me.

Also I'd really appreciate if you guys could gimme the links for the website with the best pricing for the same that deliver in the USA :)

PS - one of the problems that i think might be there with the mod is the battery door. It being magnetic, does it come out easily if you hold on just the door to pick it up?
Also i noticed there are two different versions of the charon. The TC and the VV. I know the basic difference between TC and VV but are there any other performance differences that should be pointed out?
Any other comments/pros/cons are welcome. :)
TIA.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I can't say much about the Charon other than I haven't heard *negative* things about it. I'm not aware of too much difference between TC/W only, other than price and if you think you will ever use it in TC mode. If you will, it would probably be worth getting a TC mod.

As far as pricing, just google, you can certainly check for reputable suppliers here at this site (they have their own subforums) not just in the US, but many in the USA, for deals/clearance/etc. I don't have a specific site in mind, but that's usually what I do if I'm interested in a particular mod.

Best of luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Anna

Reactions: Cf11

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
One version of the smoant charon ( charon adjustable 218) has no display screen, no tc ability, uses a potentiometer to adjust voltage output in 5ish differing levels.

The other version (charon TC 218) has info display screen, vw, tc ni, ss, nicr & tcr modes, fully adjustable power/vw & tc output, firmware upgradable.

The performance difference is obvious,

There is really nothing different or better about it than any other similar power device on the market.
Mine (tc218) came with a funky lose 510, battery door won't open if it is picked up by it, but mine fell off several times due to vibration, drops & bumps.
Mine lasted 9 days of my daily use before becoming inoperable, so, close to average compared to similar priced & featured power devices.
For most folks it will live as long as any other similarly priced power device, unless yours also has the lose 510 & mushy up/down buttons.

Hype is never real.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I own both versions of the mod (TC 218 + Adjustable) and no battery door issues at all. Both are great and I haven't had issues with either although I haven't tried TC though and just VW on that one..

Please Note: The Charon Adjustable does NOT have a charging circuit so if you plan on getting it be sure to have a external charger, the Charon TC can be charged via USB though..

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
There are actually 4 Smoant Charon mods. VW, TC, Adjustable and new touch screen. I have tc and Adjustable. Enjoying both. I prefer the Adjustable for sheer simplicity, smidge better battery life. TC working well in power and ss tc. Have no issues with battery door, 510 and fire button responsive on both. Have only had short time so cannot comment on durability. Would recommend.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
One version of the smoant charon ( charon adjustable 218) has no display screen, no tc ability, uses a potentiometer to adjust voltage output in 5ish differing levels.

The other version (charon TC 218) has info display screen, vw, tc ni, ss, nicr & tcr modes, fully adjustable power/vw & tc output, firmware upgradable.

The performance difference is obvious,

There is really nothing different or better about it than any other similar power device on the market.
Mine (tc218) came with a funky lose 510, battery door won't open if it is picked up by it, but mine fell off several times due to vibration, drops & bumps.
Mine lasted 9 days of my daily use before becoming inoperable, so, close to average compared to similar priced & featured power devices.
For most folks it will live as long as any other similarly priced power device, unless yours also has the lose 510 & mushy up/down buttons.

Hype is never real.
9 days? You must have a basement full of broken mods only.

What other mod would you recommend then, if you think the charon is not "too good".?

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I can't say much about the Charon other than I haven't heard *negative* things about it. I'm not aware of too much difference between TC/W only, other than price and if you think you will ever use it in TC mode. If you will, it would probably be worth getting a TC mod.

As far as pricing, just google, you can certainly check for reputable suppliers here at this site (they have their own subforums) not just in the US, but many in the USA, for deals/clearance/etc. I don't have a specific site in mind, but that's usually what I do if I'm interested in a particular mod.

Best of luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Anna
Hey, no apologies necessary. You helped with what you could. Thank you :)

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
There are actually 4 Smoant Charon mods. VW, TC, Adjustable and new touch screen. I have tc and Adjustable. Enjoying both. I prefer the Adjustable for sheer simplicity, smidge better battery life. TC working well in power and ss tc. Have no issues with battery door, 510 and fire button responsive on both. Have only had short time so cannot comment on durability. Would recommend.
Yeh i was aware about touchscreen but i usually try to stay away from them. They break too easily in my hands.
Thanks for your inputs :)

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
Touchscreen stuff today that makes me crazy:

Oven, microwave, washer, dryer, dishwasher, toaster, blender. You know it's going to break and the whole thing is dead. At least you can get a cell phone for free or less than $100.00.

I always wanted to do embedded coding, like washing machines and fridges. After touch screens, forget it. I ended up doing something else programming wise, and guess what? It has touch screens. Big laugh.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Touchscreen stuff today that makes me crazy:

Oven, microwave, washer, dryer, dishwasher, toaster, blender. You know it's going to break and the whole thing is dead. At least you can get a cell phone for free or less than $100.00.

I always wanted to do embedded coding, like washing machines and fridges. After touch screens, forget it. I ended up doing something else programming wise, and guess what? It has touch screens. Big laugh.
There's no escape from those evil screens :p
They break and then they haunt you.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
I was bidding a machine control (big sucker, over 100' long) job, and they wanted the HMI with a touch screen. This is on a hydraulic machine bigger than most houses. I pleaded, "Please don't, let's use switches and lights." After plenty of beer, they finally agreed that outdoors, in the weather, you'd never be able to see the screen. Then they wanted a bluetooth interface to their Iphone. Lol. I bailed after it worked perfectly with switches, buttons and lights.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I was bidding a machine control (big sucker, over 100' long) job, and they wanted the HMI with a touch screen. This is on a hydraulic machine bigger than most houses. I pleaded, "Please don't, let's use switches and lights." After plenty of beer, they finally agreed that outdoors, in the weather, you'd never be able to see the screen. Then they wanted a bluetooth interface to their Iphone. Lol. I bailed after it worked perfectly with switches, buttons and lights.

I hope you at least gave them wifi support. Then could have run it from their office using Alexa through an amazon echo dot. [emoji108]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread