The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Checking ohm resistance on a carto

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by oplholik, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. oplholik

oplholik ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

How do you check the resistance with a multi tester? I have some that I would like to know what they are.

2. ancient puffer

ancient puffer EX PV Collector Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    Its done the same for cartomizers or attys.

Set your tester for testing resistance (how to do that depends on your particular tester, but if you're unsure, check the manual that came with it). It should be reading all the way to the top of the scale. Now touch the two probes to each other. It should read 0 ohms. Once that's working, place one probe on the threads being careful not to touch the center of the atty/carto with it. Then touch the 2nd probe to the center connector. It should read the resistance of that particular atty/carto (usually about 3.2 ohms for a standard atty/carto).

3. cskent

cskent Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2010
    Ohio
    I've got a cheap meter which never quite goes to zero. I just touch the leads together and get a reading before measuring, and it's usually 0.4 ohms. I subtract this from reading I get on my atty or carto. It seems to be accurate when I do it this way as my measurements fall within the specified tolerance.

4. ancient puffer

ancient puffer EX PV Collector Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    Mines a RadioShack one from 30 years ago, but its got a small "wheel" on the front to adjust it to zero. Just a thought.

5. cskent

cskent Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Mine is a really cheap one, I think I paid $1.99 for it at Harbor Freight about 5 years ago. It doesn't have any method of zeroing it out. It isn't that big a deal to just subtract the 0.4 ohms from my reading and it seems to be accurate enough otherwise.

6. drewk302

drewk302 Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    nh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.