Chicago pre-empted from taxing tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
That Illinois legislation only pre-empts taxing and tax increasing.

EDIT: My response, I guess, is beside the point. Maybe the best hope is that the Mayor is run out of town, sooner than expected.

I know. I was hoping they'd defined vapor products as tobacco so They would be covered by the inability to tax. Alas, no such luck.

Given Illinois' history maybe he'll be arrested and removed from office.

Reactions: skoony

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Bah humbug ... they did amend tobacco law but defined vapes as "alternative nicotine product" not tobacco.

Kinda shoots the whole "we do not want vaping classified as a tobacco product" advocacy right in the a** :| no matter how it is classified they will find a way to regulate it and tax the living heck out of it.

I know. I was hoping they'd defined vapor products as tobacco so They would be covered by the inability to tax. Alas, no such luck.
Given Illinois' history maybe he'll be arrested and removed from office.

Then it would be taxed as a tobacco product in every other state, maybe a win for IL unless/until they change that law, not so much for the rest of the US but regulation as a tobacco product would still be nation wide.

I think until the FDA deeming takes place, the states and local governments are going to do their best to cash in as much as possible tax wise and control vaping regulation wise.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Kinda shoots the whole "we do not want vaping classified as a tobacco product" advocacy right in the a** :| no matter how it is classified they will find a way to regulate it and tax the living heck out of it.

Then it would be taxed as a tobacco product in every other state, maybe a win for IL unless/until they change that law, not so much for the rest of the US but regulation as a tobacco product would still be nation wide.

I think until the FDA deeming takes place, the states and local governments are going to do their best to cash in as much as possible tax wise and control vaping regulation wise.

I don't advocate for that. I think tobacco product is the right classification. Subclassifications are the next step, with the exorbitant taxes applying only to the ones with proven detrimental health consequences.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Subclassifications are the next step, with the exorbitant taxes applying only to the ones with proven detrimental health consequences.
I kept reading that over and over, trying to figure out what wasn't registering properly in my mind.
And then I realized, it was the part about sub classifications being the next LOGICAL step.

You left out the world "logical" there.
And that sort of messed up my thought process.

Reactions: Myrany

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The hipocrisy is unbelievable where e-cigarettes are concerned. Practically no in depth studies have been performed that show medically detrimental effects from vaping and those that are published seem determined to find fault in ridiculous ways. Vaping is far better than smoking and smoking is a known killer.

It's the same around the world. "We Don't Know what's in them and what effects they will have over time", they say. Test them in an unbiased manner and show us the results. Science has had almost a decade to properly test the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread