Chicago Tribune: Teens find a big loophole

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Oh boy, Puff Bars could be next. And so it continues... And this piece seems intentionally written to reinforce all aspects of ANTZ propaganda. However, if these are teens, they are not 21 -- so who's buying? Perhaps the real issue is the new law doesn't permit underage purchase with doctor's prescription so the hardcore don't return to cigarettes or other desperate measures.

Teens find a big loophole in the new flavored vaping ban and the news has caught on fast

But a footnote on Page 9 of the new policy permits all flavors to continue to be sold in devices that cannot be refilled and are designed to be disposed of after the flavored nicotine has run dry.

Teenagers have caught on fast.

“Students were telling me that everybody had gone to Puff Bars, which are disposable,” said Lauren W. Williams, a teacher at McCracken, near Paducah, Kentucky. “The one we confiscated here this week is Banana Ice. Students are not using Juuls anymore because no one wants menthol or tobacco.”

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
"Puff Bars"?

Had to do a web-search.

Puff_Bar__97200.1559159890_warning__68191.1569595121.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
While this loophole may make it easier on for the teens, they would be getting it anyway. There is always an adult to get it for them somewhere

And that is the 1200 lbs Social Sources Elephant in the room that None of the Anti e-Cigarette people want to Talk About.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
This is what teens do imho and bans do make things more desireable to the young.

I'll put my hand up - I was managing to buy cigarettes well before I had reached the then legal age of 16, and now I don't live too far away from the pub where my cousin and I bought pints of export strength lager when we were two years under age back in the early 60s.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't see this as "Teens finding a loophole" but rather some manufacturer's marketing department doing so.

However, I question whether this loophole actually exists. Juul was clearly on the market prior to the 8/8/2016 "No new products without a PMTA" deadline, but I rather doubt that products like Puff Bar and Buzz were.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I too was today year's old when learning what a Puff Bar is.

I predict by June of 2020 (if not sooner), Puff Bar will be under as much scrutiny (from ANTZ types) as Juul was, or still is. That vague loophole will be closed rather quickly.

And yet, kids are still going to continue vaping.

Thank God.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
You sell stuff to minors in NYC you will lose your business.

They are very tough with enforcement around these parts, including sending in undercover personnel to bars, bodegas, gas stations, etc..

I don’t think that is going to be the case everywhere. A lot of places just don’t have the budget.

Enforcement is going to be a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread