Child proof cap is stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeteranTrickster

Mar 28, 2018
I sound dumb when I say this, but seriously, it says "press down and turn" and I've have been doing that for 30 minutes now, with different forces of push, fast and slow turns, pull up and so on. BUT IT JUST DOESN'T OPEN. It's 100 ml bottle, it's Atmos lab's Glycerin 0mg. And it does have the arrow where to turn but still doesn't open. What to do? And I am legal of smoking age.

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
Do like I do...Give it to your kid, they will have it off in 5 seconds flat!
I sound dumb when I say this, but seriously, it says "press down and turn" and I've have been doing that for 30 minutes now, with different forces of push, fast and slow turns, pull up and so on. BUT IT JUST DOESN'T OPEN. It's 100 ml bottle, it's Atmos lab's Glycerin 0mg. And it does have the arrow where to turn but still doesn't open. What to do? And I am legal of smoking age.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You have one of those "human proof" caps. The amount of force needed to open them for the first time can be ridiculous. You need to push down really really hard and turn really hard at the same time.
I had this happen to my 1000 ml bottle of nicotine from Wizzard Labs. I tried for almost an hour to get the cap off. I have arthritic fingers, so I probably don't have the strength. I even had my brother try to get it off. Nadda.

We couldn't get it off with a knife. Out of despiration, we used a saw. DO NOT TRY THIS! :facepalm:

I got the lid off, but the liquid had small particles of plastic in it. I had to filter it with a coffee filter. Since my nic was mixed with 100% vegetable glycerin, this was a very LONG process.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will admit to having struggles with "packaging" generally (and child proof caps can suck). I'm liking the suggestion that you just poke a hole in the top, although if it were me, I'd be sawing off the ENTIRE top and then using a funnel to pour it into a different type of juice bottle, one that I could actually open, but would also help prevent flavor loss. If you do poke a hole in the top, duct tape would also make a good seal, as far as your flavors not evaporating out.

My sympathies. Best of luck,,

Anna

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I had this happen to my 1000 ml bottle of nicotine from Wizzard Labs. I tried for almost an hour to get the cap off. I have arthritic fingers, so I probably don't have the strength. I even had my brother try to get it off. Nadda.

We couldn't get it off with a knife. Out of despiration, we used a saw. DO NOT TRY THIS! :facepalm:

I got the lid off, but the liquid had small particles of plastic in it. I had to filter it with a coffee filter. Since my nic was mixed with 100% vegetable glycerin, this was a very LONG process.

That had to be worse then watching paint dry!

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
When I was in 6th grade I had to de-arthritis proof pills caps for my mother, and now I've had to do it for myself.

From the type you're describing you don't have to saw or cut all the way into liquid destroying the container or exposing the liquid to shavings. You need to cut the outer layer of the cap off.
A knife works but is dangerous (you may need to use a knife since it's on the bottle just to get started, be careful, use a lock back or one piece knife if in the UK). Wire cutters are safer. Slow at start while you make some headway.
I usually cut up 2 opposing places but if you can't get far 4, 6 or 8 places with just the edge cut may allow you to spread the base of the outer cap enough to pop it off.
If this is too hard on your hands (it isn't easy) and you can stand the smell you could use a hot knife/soldering iron to melt the outer layer. That way I would start at the top of the cap because it's likely you'll blob enough up that it will lock the layers together. Don't go too deep.
This way you still have a cap and bottle that functions.
0522181155.jpg

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I had this happen only a couple days ago with a 30ml of LorAnn’s cream cheese icing. There’s 2 parts to the child proof cap. In my case, the 2 parts broke loose from one another, thus keeping it from catching and opening. Much like @Myk described, I pried it loose with a pocket knife. I slid the knife between the cap and the bottle and slowly but sternly and carefully pushed up, cutting the outer cap. Once this part of the cap was off, the inner part which broke came off easily. They can be a pain! I strongly dislike all the child safety caps! Seems we should get a choice but, it is what it is. Good luck!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I sound dumb when I say this, but seriously, it says "press down and turn" and I've have been doing that for 30 minutes now, with different forces of push, fast and slow turns, pull up and so on. BUT IT JUST DOESN'T OPEN.

I can empathize with you! I have a horrible time with the child safety caps on the unicorn bottles that some vendors are using for flavorings now. Pushing down hard while turning those pointed caps hurts! Getting 1 to open definitely results in some less than nice words being said, lots of frustration, etc. Have worked trying to get 1 of them open for 15-20 minutes before success. Luckily I don't have a problem with the regular round child safety caps though, for some reason.

RedBullBabe

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Ireland.
I've had that happen - so annoying. I even took it back to the vape shop, and they immediately produced a pair of pliers, gripped the cap with it, then twisted it open as easy as pie.

I felt like a fool as I had literally tried everything I could think of at home to try and get it open. And it wasn't for lack of gripping it either with like say latex gloves, as the seal was broken too, but the cap was just swiveling around together with the inside bit.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
4586421A-11A5-46D2-A8BA-598A7A2975DB.jpeg
I had this happen to me again today with my new nonna’s cake. I’ve got a pretty good grip myself and it wouldn’t budge! A couple friends tried but nope, not happening! Told them, it’s okay Jared (hubby) will get it when he gets in. He can open anything! Guess what... he couldn’t open it either! Pliers didn’t even work for top cap part of the child safety. Once he barbarically pried it off with a box cutting knife, then there was the other cap. This cap (pictured) is so slick you can’t possibly get a grip on it. Pliers brought it right off, for him, undamaged and still usable. These child safety caps though... I have zero need for them!

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
View attachment 744821 I had this happen to me again today with my new nonna’s cake. I’ve got a pretty good grip myself and it wouldn’t budge! A couple friends tried but nope, not happening! Told them, it’s okay Jared (hubby) will get it when he gets in. He can open anything! Guess what... he couldn’t open it either! Pliers didn’t even work for top cap part of the child safety. Once he barbarically pried it off with a box cutting knife, then there was the other cap. This cap (pictured) is so slick you can’t possibly get a grip on it. Pliers brought it right off, for him, undamaged and still usable. These child safety caps though... I have zero need for them!

About a year ago it was nerve damage in my neck taking away grip. Some time around 2 months ago my knuckles are hurting too much, especially on these small diameter caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread