The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

Cholesterol & Nicotine

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by Yankee802, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Yankee802

Yankee802 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2010
    Panama City, Florida
    My wife and doctor are glad I quit analogs, but still tell me nicotine is bad. I thought that nicotine by itself is like caffine and no more dangerous. Recently I was told that nicotine elevates cholesterol, my wife (next to me when told this) agreed. I told her (wife) you never (nor the doctor) explained to me WHY nicotine was bad, just that it was. My blood tests have shown my cholesterol levels much higher than when I was smoking a year ago. My doctor put me on meds because of my cholesterol levels. :(

So, any truth to this, has anyone else experienced elevations in their cholesterol levels?

2. otrpu

otrpu Account closed on request Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 5, 2010
    Colorado
    I had a heart attack neigh onto 10 years ago. Had an angioplasty. Heart Doc put me on Diltiazem & Simvastatin for both blood pressure and cholestrol. Been vapin since May 2010. Last checkup, month ago, Doc reduced my Diltiazem because my BP was lower than she wanted. She ain't thrilled with my vapin, but figures it's better than smokin tobbacco. JMHO

Cheers,
    otrpu

3. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    The worst part of nicotine is that it constricts your arteries but so does caffeine. You have something else going on IMO and I would sure figure out what. Please keep us posted but I've never heard it raising cholesterol...vaping lowered most of the members' from what I've read.

4. AnaCat

AnaCat Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I found this article that seems to contradict the notion that nicotine increases cholesterol. It seems it's the other toxins in cigarettes that do that, not the nicotine. What's your diet like? If your cholesterol is going up, that is probably the culprit, not nicotine.

From the Journal of the American College of Cardiology (1997) (bold emphasis at end of quote mine) ScienceDirect - Journal of the American College of Cardiology : Cardiovascular Toxicity of Nicotine: Implications for Nicotine Replacement Therapy:

5. Yankee802

Yankee802 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2010
    Panama City, Florida
    Well, my diet is crap, but it was crap before I started vaping. I sure hope it has nothing to do with vaping, I enjoy it too much, not to mention the $ of stuff I got. :)

6. GregH

GregH Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 28, 2009
    Georgia USA
    I smoked for 21 years and have been vaping for 2. I had a follow-up with my doctor today to go over major bloodwork results. (It was an overdue check for everything.) She remarked that most people would kill to have cholesterol numbers like mine. I know I'm only one person, but at least for me, nicotine has not adversely affected my cholesterol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.