Cholesterol & Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankee802

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Panama City, Florida
My wife and doctor are glad I quit analogs, but still tell me nicotine is bad. I thought that nicotine by itself is like caffine and no more dangerous. Recently I was told that nicotine elevates cholesterol, my wife (next to me when told this) agreed. I told her (wife) you never (nor the doctor) explained to me WHY nicotine was bad, just that it was. My blood tests have shown my cholesterol levels much higher than when I was smoking a year ago. My doctor put me on meds because of my cholesterol levels. :(

So, any truth to this, has anyone else experienced elevations in their cholesterol levels?

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I had a heart attack neigh onto 10 years ago. Had an angioplasty. Heart Doc put me on Diltiazem & Simvastatin for both blood pressure and cholestrol. Been vapin since May 2010. Last checkup, month ago, Doc reduced my Diltiazem because my BP was lower than she wanted. She ain't thrilled with my vapin, but figures it's better than smokin tobbacco. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

AnaCat

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
Chicago, IL
I found this article that seems to contradict the notion that nicotine increases cholesterol. It seems it's the other toxins in cigarettes that do that, not the nicotine. What's your diet like? If your cholesterol is going up, that is probably the culprit, not nicotine.

From the Journal of the American College of Cardiology (1997) (bold emphasis at end of quote mine) ScienceDirect - Journal of the American College of Cardiology : Cardiovascular Toxicity of Nicotine: Implications for Nicotine Replacement Therapy:

5.3. Nicotine and Lipids.
Nicotine, by release of catecholamines, induces lipolysis and releases plasma free fatty acids. There is evidence that these free fatty acids are primarily taken up by the liver, which might be expected to increase the synthesis of VLDL, consistent with changes described in cigarette smokers ([93]).
Results of studies of the effects of nicotine on lipids in animals are conflicting. Injection of nicotine or feeding of nicotine has been reported ([83, 84, 88]) to increase total cholesterol in rabbits and monkeys receiving a high cholesterol diet. Nicotine feeding in squirrel monkeys for 2 years has been shown ([94]) to increase plasma levels of LDL. The mechanism in monkeys included both accelerated synthesis of LDL through lipolysis of HDL and VLDL and impaired clearance of LDL. Of importance in interpreting these animal studies is that high doses of nicotine have been administered, often by an oral route, and without measurement of blood levels of nicotine to determine exposure adequately.
Most studies in humans given nicotine preparations suggest that nicotine delivered in these forms does not have an adverse effect on lipid profiles. In one study ([95]), nicotine chewing gum (2 mg eight times a day) was given to healthy nonsmokers for 2 weeks. No changes in plasma concentrations of triglycerides; total, HDL or LDL cholesterol; or apolipoprotein A1 or B were noted. In another study ([96]), 20 nonsmokers with ulcerative colitis received transdermal nicotine (15 mg/day) for 12 weeks. No changes in plasma lipids were found. Also, there were no changes in white cell count or platelet activation (assessed by platelet volume and expression of P-selectin), and no evidence of endothelial damage (assessed by plasma Von Willebrand factor antigen levels) was detected. Data from smokers who stop smoking and use transdermal nicotine indicate that lipids change toward normal while taking nicotine ([97]).

Last edited:

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I smoked for 21 years and have been vaping for 2. I had a follow-up with my doctor today to go over major bloodwork results. (It was an overdue check for everything.) She remarked that most people would kill to have cholesterol numbers like mine. I know I'm only one person, but at least for me, nicotine has not adversely affected my cholesterol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread