Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Can it be CAUSED by vaping? Not that I personally know of or have heard of myself. If you’ve already GOT it, first, my condolences. I’m assuming what you are talking about is also known as severe heart disease. I could be wrong about that though.

The standard advice for anything medical around here is talk to a real doctor and stop poking about on the internet for advice from random laymen.

That said, in theory nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and you’re, I’m assuming, working with barely any vascular function to begin with.
All kinds of things could be enough to kick you over the edge into problems. Nicotine of any kind from any source would be one of them. The nicotine in ecigs is the same stuff as in patches and nicotine gum, and they all do basically the same thing, to your arteries anyway, so if one of those is off the table so is vaping.

Perhaps a bit of backstory on your concerns rather than simply a question about a frequently fatal condition out of the blue might help.

Last edited:

Mobc1990

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2019
Johor Bahru
Can it be CAUSED by vaping? Not that I personally know of or have heard of myself. If you’ve already GOT it, first, my condolences. I’m assuming what you are talking about is also known as severe heart disease. I could be wrong about that though.

The standard advice for anything medical around here is talk to a real doctor and stop poking about on the internet for advice from random laymen.

That said, in theory nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and you’re, I’m assuming, working with barely any vascular function to begin with.
All kinds of things could be enough to kick you over the edge into problems. Nicotine of any kind from any source would be one of them. The nicotine in ecigs is the same stuff as in patches and nicotine gum, and they all do basically the same thing, to your arteries anyway, so if one of those is off the table so is vaping.

Perhaps a bit of backstory on your concerns rather than simply a question about a frequently fatal condition out of the blue might help.
I am healthy,just curious...maybe I shouldn’t ask.The worst disease of smoking is lung cancer followed by COPD

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
For most of us here, vaping is a harm reduction tool. I think you'll find that most are of the opinion that this is the best option to reduce or quit smoking all together. Given that, asking what if, could it, or would it is irrelevant. Nothing is 100% safe.

For people who are on the fence, it may not be the best option for you. Weigh your options, make the best decision for yourself, otherwise you're second guessing yourself. You'll find plenty of information on the inter webs for and against vaping. ECF is a good source for information and a wonderful group of people who have given countless advice on the multiple threads/questions you've been asking.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I am healthy,just curious...maybe I shouldn’t ask.The worst disease of smoking is lung cancer followed by COPD
I do know that I have read posts from people on this fourm that have claimed to have been diagnosed with COPD and ordered to quit smoking by their doctors. They then took up vaping as a way to quit smoking and claim reduction in Their symptoms.

Reactions: Kakakakatie

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I do know that I have read posts from people on this fourm that have claimed to have been diagnosed with COPD and ordered to quit smoking by their doctors. They then took up vaping as a way to quit smoking and claim reduction in Their symptoms.

Were they also prescribed COPD medications?

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
It’s been a month since I vape,is there no risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or there is risk of it when vaping?
Ive been vaping 15months. Lung function has improved. Liver function improved. Platelets level still low at 150000 but within "spec" and better than the 780000 that it as at when I first started vaping. Prostate PSA levels dropped, in this regard the doctor told me I didnt need to have it tested for another 5yrs.
I get blood tests done every 6weeks because of the low platelets levels I was experiencing leading up to quitting cigarettes. The spirometer and lung function tests were at my request while I was still smoking and while I was having so many blood and other tests done I requested them. We also tested for lung disease etc. I worked in mining and construction for all my early life. While my lungs were slighty down in function they were in the realms of what is acceptable for an over 50yr old male with a history of high risk occupations and better than should be expected for a 42 year cigarette smoker.
I will continue with the blood tests at 6month intervals going forward and the spirometer etc at request(more out of curiosity at this point). The positive of it all is that I have an ongoing record of my progress or regressions and over a time period that spans 5yrs including 3.5yrs before I quit smoking.
My local gp knows I vape and can see the improved health results.
I will never know if there would any measurable difference between vaping and not vaping in my situation. About all I can say about it is I have had a decent and relatively speedy recovery even while vaping.
I smoked for 42yrs and dont expect to get off lightly from that. It would be wonderful though if I do.

I researched all I could about vaping and tbh that research didnt really include too many vape forums. Herd mentality, anecdotes and pro/anti shills are a hell of a quagmire to wade through. I say that understanding that my above post is anecdotal. Take it for what you paid for it and weigh it up against the other anecdotes ;)

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I had bronchitis every Winter when I smoked. Whenever I got a headcold it moved to my lungs and I got a hacking cough until Spring. Every year.
I haven't had a cold that lasted more than a few hours since I started vaping/quit smoking in early 2013. No lung involvement from a cold in 6 years compared to every single year when I smoked.
Technically I had chronic bronchitis that has now been relieved.

When I smoked I couldn't take a single full inhale without coughing.
Within a few months of switching I noticed that I could take a few full cycles in-out-in-out...Now I can take full cycles until I get bored of it & dizzy.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
my friend sent me this link about harm of vaping,tobacco product

New heated tobacco device causes same damage to lung cells as e-cigs and smoking
Ah yes, the iQOS. That’s different than vaping. Those things are illegal to sell in the United States. In Some countries, such as Japan they are quite popular though. They tend to have a more cigarette like flavor, and are rumored to only somewhat less dangerous than smoking. The entertaining part of the article for me is that nowhere in the article are ecigs mentioned at all except in the title, and while they say that the iQOS contains damaging compounds they very carefully don’t say HOW MUCH compared to a cigarette. It’s a double conflation. First they confuse ecigs with iQOS by being vague about which product they are talking about, then they confuse a smaller amount with the same amount.

Looking further into the article (specifically at the small print at the very bottom) it turns out that the single footnote is not followed up at all, they admit that eurekaalert and ERJ research are the same company, and that they in no way claim that what they just said is actually true because they didn’t write it (even though they’re the same company).

In short, it’s all total crap to begin with. Welcome to the wonderful world of anti-vaping propaganda. Advertising masquerading as science.

And in this case effectively killing people for money.

Last edited:

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
53ffe9968809d46bf6cf9474c33feadd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread