Claptons coil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Exotic builds aren't always "best" in a mech mod, because you are depending wholly on your battery to "heat" the build, and if it's a large mass of wire, that is going to take time to heat up. With a regulated mod, you can set your wattage where it is comfortable to vape at and forget about "metal mass" although generally, if you have a higher mass build, it may need more wattage to heat up faster, depending on which regulated mod and etc.

Maybe try some simpler builds in your mech and see what happens?

Anna

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
It sounds like you need lower mass coils (less material). What gauge wire are you using?
ok ..... now i understand ....

Exotic builds aren't always "best" in a mech mod, because you are depending wholly on your battery to "heat" the build, and if it's a large mass of wire, that is going to take time to heat up. With a regulated mod, you can set your wattage where it is comfortable to vape at and forget about "metal mass" although generally, if you have a higher mass build, it may need more wattage to heat up faster, depending on which regulated mod and etc.

Maybe try some simpler builds in your mech and see what happens?

Anna
with normal SS or kanthal i have no issue, even as low as 0.1-0.2 ohm .....
now i understand why, thought is just abt ohm ....
thanks

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I've had luck with SS Clapton's on a mech but kanthal is pretty slow.

Simple round wire is my preferred coil though. I build Clapton wire after I forget that it didn't yield any advantage for me the last time I built them. (Usually every 2 months)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
i make some clapton coil 0.78 6 raps 2.5mm with kanthal, but firing seem like slow (very slow) on my mech mod, with regulator mod fire at 40w have no issue .....
any one can tell me or guide me to right direction ?
thanks
.78 is roughly 20 watts on a mech mod, if that helps? (Or 80, if it's a series box. But then you wouldn't be asking this, probably.)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah it doesn't draw the power.

Clapton wire is actually a solution for heat up problems, to use a bunch of thinner wire and yet still make a large coil. Its reputation for slow heat up relates to more fundamental issues, like often it makes effectively a very large coil. Few are really working in the power range it is needed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread