0.45 ohm coils fused Clapton reading as 0.78 - 1.0 ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysephsavage

May 5, 2018
Hey guys thanks for letting me join, Im Jay been vaping about 4 years now and have finally moved to building my tank but I’m having issues atm I have the Geekvapes Zeus single coil RTA tank and to start with I bought some fused Clapton pre made coils to get me used to how it works they are steam shark brand I’ll post a pic of the specifics about them but they say they are 0.45 ohm but the lowest out of my three mods was 0.78 to 1.0 ohms but I can’t figure out why as I’m a Noob at this part so if anyone can help please PM me.

Kind regards

Jay

Attachments

• 686B7A66-14B2-410F-B483-CB7340536009.jpeg
    686B7A66-14B2-410F-B483-CB7340536009.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • 8111811D-F105-42C3-BA6A-1C8A6A925A47.jpeg
    8111811D-F105-42C3-BA6A-1C8A6A925A47.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Reactions: VapourFlavour

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Resistance on pre-wound coils like that can vary significantly from their labeling. How much variation is there from mod to mod? If they're a coming in close to the same, it may well be that the coils are mislabeled. If they're all over the place check your deck and be sure the grub screws are tight, and your coil is properly positioned, not touching any part of the deck or the chamber. Chances are it's not screwed in tight enough for a solid connection to the posts.

If you can't see anything improve with tightening and checking it over, post photos of the actual coil and deck.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Rating on the container for the coils is probably taking into account of using 2 per build on a deck. Using steam engine's wire wizard tool, a single coil using 28awg inner wire cores X2 and 32awg wrap wire both kanthal A1 (assumed), as the container claims, and seeing they have what looks like 6 wraps, at 2mm diameter a single coil should ohm around 0.622ohms, at 2.5mm around 0.705 ohms, at plus or minus 0.1ohms that gives a range of about 0.522 to 0.805ohms, at 3.5mm a single coil is about 0.867ohms. Now add a second parallel identical coil into the mix, 0.867ohms almost 0.9ohms/2 coils = 0.45ohms as parallel dual coils divides the resistance roughly in half.

Steam Engine Site
Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

• Winner
Reactions: Letitia

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Rating on the container for the coils is probably taking into account of using 2 per build on a deck. Using steam engine's wire wizard tool, a single coil using 28awg inner wire cores X2 and 32awg wrap wire both kanthal A1 (assumed), as the container claims, and seeing they have what looks like 6 wraps, at 2mm diameter a single coil should ohm around 0.622ohms, at 2.5mm around 0.705 ohms, at plus or minus 0.1ohms that gives a range of about 0.522 to 0.805ohms, at 3.5mm a single coil is about 0.867ohms. Now add a second parallel identical coil into the mix, 0.867ohms almost 0.9ohms/2 coils = 0.45ohms as parallel dual coils divides the resistance roughly in half.

Steam Engine Site
Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
I was gonna say that. But with less words. As in, use two coils to get .45ohm. Or they truly are mislabeled.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hey guys thanks for letting me join, Im Jay been vaping about 4 years now and have finally moved to building my tank but I’m having issues atm I have the Geekvapes Zeus single coil RTA tank and to start with I bought some fused Clapton pre made coils to get me used to how it works they are steam shark brand I’ll post a pic of the specifics about them but they say they are 0.45 ohm but the lowest out of my three mods was 0.78 to 1.0 ohms but I can’t figure out why as I’m a Noob at this part so if anyone can help please PM me.

Kind regards

Jay

Hi Jay,
How does it vape?

Since you are using a regulated device, resistance is not so important.

Please post a photo of the build/deck.

Cheers
I

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada

Yep, that's in a dual set up. .7 ohm is fine, just lower your wattage.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Resistance on pre-wound coils like that can vary significantly from their labeling. How much variation is there from mod to mod? If they're a coming in close to the same, it may well be that the coils are mislabeled. If they're all over the place check your deck and be sure the grub screws are tight, and your coil is properly positioned, not touching any part of the deck or the chamber. Chances are it's not screwed in tight enough for a solid connection to the posts.

If you can't see anything improve with tightening and checking it over, post photos of the actual coil and deck.
I recently bought an OBS Engine locally that I suspect is a fake. Hive coils I put in started reading right at .35. After a few vapes screws would pop and read double that. Unfortunately the post threads are done. It's going to the garbage.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I recently bought an OBS Engine locally that I suspect is a fake. Hive coils I put in started reading right at .35. After a few vapes screws would pop and read double that. Unfortunately the post threads are done. It's going to the garbage.

No idea if it's fake or not, but if it can't maintain a solid connection it's pretty much toast. Maybe it was used, and the prior owner messed up with the grub screws and damaged the threading on the posts. Or a flat out manufacturing defect. No reason why a connection cannot remain tight and solid.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yep, you're one of those rare breeds that still uses single coils ... We're antiques! :thumbs:

I'm sure the .45 rating is for dual coil builds. .8 to 1.0 ohms would be completely normal for a single coil.
Our single coil builds are gaining in popularity with the surge of new squonkers. We just have to be patient.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hive coils can be finicky. Could just as easily be the build.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I hate to cast aspersions on anyone, but pre-made coils like that, especially lesser known brands, can really vary in quality, and rarely for the better. For that reason I avoid them outside of proven suppliers like AVS, where everything is well made and a they work with is SS. Nothing wrong with other metals, and it's just my personal preference, but there is too much crappy work on the market with that stuff, especially the bargain priced fancy coils.

Of course the best way to assure you know exactly what you're using is to make your own, but not everyone wants to or can. If you are going the prespun stuff look for quality and not the cheapest prices stuff. Making a quality complex coil requires skill, and fks with good skills don't work on the cheap.

You can also check out the suppliers forums here. There are some folks who specialize in building complex coils to your requested specs and turn out nice coils, but not necessarily the cheapest. However if a bargain coil doesn't work well the more expensive coil looks like the better value. Besides, if you take care of your coil and clean it regularly, it can last months, so it's not like a)3 drop in coil you have to toss in 2 weeks. That makes the better quality builds an even better value as for a few dollars you have something to keep you running much longer.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hive coils can be finicky. Could just as easily be the build.
I'll try rebuilding it, but it's something about the whole thing. Produces little vapor and odd flavor, very much unlike others in the past, even compared to the Crius I. I never had OBS screws strip on me, I might as well change the build, but, something about it is just not right.

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread