Classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
It’s been an issue longer than you’ve been a member. Not an issue of getting past it as you say. It’s an issue of the entire staff being inconsiderate and non-responsive to the question of the status of the classifieds.

I've known of ECF for several years and fully understand the politics. But they don't owe any of us a dam thing.

A forum is just that. A place to gather and talk about things with like-minded folks such as you and I but....

The owner(s) and staff run the place the way they see fit. Nothing more nothing less.

And I do not recall the word "please" being used anywhere in this thread as if those who want something from the staff here are entitled to such.

All I'm saying is that things are what they are here. Good or bad is one's opinion and frankly opinions are like noses...everybody has at least one and they all differ.

So I repeat myself: get past it.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I've known of ECF for several years and fully understand the politics. But they don't owe any of us a dam thing.

A forum is just that. A place to gather and talk about things with like-minded folks such as you and I but....

The owner(s) and staff run the place the way they see fit. Nothing more nothing less.

And I do not recall the word "please" being used anywhere in this thread as if those who want something from the staff here are entitled to such.

All I'm saying is that things are what they are here. Good or bad is one's opinion and frankly opinions are like noses...everybody has at least one and they all differ.

So I repeat myself: get past it.
I do hear you. I also know that it is the thousands of members who made this site money and made it successful. Let's not forget that. Personally, I actually do not give a hoot either way. It would be nice to see because of all the members here that have great stuff so it could be a good marketplace but again no huge deal and I sure will not forgo any sleep because of it.

I had some extra stuff and I just gave it away here on the PIF forum just to be nice.

The reason that I chimed in and what you X'ed was that one of the admins/leaders for a different part of the forum pretty much said that because folks had an issue with the procedure of being verified (privacy concerns) that it just sort of dropped and sort of, read between the lines, seemed to indicate that it was "tough nuggies" because folks complained and I did and do object to that part.

I'm a very upfront person and if it were me (and I know it is not) I would address it head-on. I'd communicate and be upfront. I'd tell the truth whether that is ....

---F u folks it is too much for me to be bothered with because you are complaining about privacy concerns and I do not care to address them
--- It is just too much work and it is not a priority for me.

or maybe because there does appear to be interest - I'd ask for a volunteer to coordinate it all.

or maybe I would say --- We are done with the classifieds. Those that have accounts can remain - there will be no new additions.

That is not too much to ask whether they are the owners or not. It is a most reasonable request.

I truly live by the golden rule ---treat others the way you wish to be treated.

Last edited:

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Agreed that a vibrant classified would be most excellent. Lots of my best flashlights came from other members of a flashlight forum, and I'd be pleased to scoop up some classic gear here.

But I aint gonna trip over the way things are. And see-ing how some seemed to take it personal just reminded me why that 'other' famous forum came to be.

To me, there are numerous things in life way more important than the status of a classified section at a forum I have zero stake in and zero admin ability.

I've seen owners and upper management at other forums come right out and call members names, post unwarranted personal attacks and ban folks they disagreed with on a post. So when I see folks here presuming the silence as a thumb in their eye my thoughts turn to "yeah, you shoulda seen what the owner of the (insert name here) forum said to a member who asked if it was possible to have like buttons."

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
Agreed that a vibrant classified would be most excellent. Lots of my best flashlights came from other members of a flashlight forum, and I'd be pleased to scoop up some classic gear here.

But I aint gonna trip over the way things are. And see-ing how some seemed to take it personal just reminded me why that 'other' famous forum came to be.

To me, there are numerous things in life way more important than the status of a classified section at a forum I have zero stake in and zero admin ability.

I've seen owners and upper management at other forums come right out and call members names, post unwarranted personal attacks and ban folks they disagreed with on a post. So when I see folks here presuming the silence as a thumb in their eye my thoughts turn to "yeah, you shoulda seen what the owner of the (insert name here) forum said to a member who asked if it was possible to have like buttons."
We get it. You don’t care about the classifieds. We know this because you repeat it every third post on this thread. The classifieds provide the absolute cheapest, best examples of Provaris, as an example. Too bad newer members desiring one of these can’t get access. Since you have zero stake in it, possibly you should move on from the topic.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
We get it. You don’t care about the classifieds. We know this because you repeat it every third post on this thread. The classifieds provide the absolute cheapest, best examples of Provaris, as an example. Too bad newer members desiring one of these can’t get access. Since you have zero stake in it, possibly you should move on from the topic.

You should read what I actually said and not assume what you think I said.
Or;
Perhaps YOU should buy the place and then YOU can set up the classifieds.

See, I do care about the classifieds. I've lurked the place for years before joining actually. Since you've decided that since I'm ok with things done by the staff here the way they see fit, that means I don't have a valid input in the matter nor do I care....

Not the case at all. Nor have I said that.
When you can gain control then solve the problem, until then getting all aflutter serves no purpose. I'll leave it at that.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm thinking to put my Dicodes 2380 w/extras in the classifieds but what's the use if the buyer pool is so small these days

I don't think the buyer pool "is so small". People are still successfully selling a variety of things in the Classies...for the price they ask for them. I could see where a smaller potential buyer pool would affect the price of a Dicodes if there was bidding for it, like on eBay. But since you set the price you want for it, either you'll get that price from the people interested in it, or you won't. It wouldn't cost you anything, except a little time to list it, to give it a try.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Ugh !
Firstly...
I am moving this to Site Feedback and Help.

Secondly...
A little history...the Verification process is something that Members came up with because of the theft and fraud that was happening.

Last...
I am sorry but nothing has changed - still no contact with @j0ker since :
Verified Member Explained With More Detail (FAQ included)

Per the Verification page access to Classifieds is still on hold :
How To Become A Verified Member
"***FYI***
Verified member request are currently on hold. Due to some security changes I have no access to the Control Panel to perform Verified Member upgrades. As soon as this issue is resolved, I will begin processing requests."

It's not as simple as someone taking things over. There are access issues that haven't been resolved for j0ker.
Also, permissions under the hood are not an all encompassing thing...everyone can't access someone else's stuff. Even tho I am the Assistant Classified Manager, I can't access j0ker's stuff, nor do I have the permissions he has (had).
About the best way I can explain it is kind of like a shopping mall...
There are many stores in the Mall all owned by different companies. If one store is closed, another store can't go open it so you can shop there.

I am so sorry but we are still stuck.
I just called and left a message for him to call me.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Running a marketplace is never easy for a forum.

Best ones I've seen so far were 1 PC forum, and 1 car forum - no special requirements to participate, but an iron set of "best practices" to go by with any trade (including things like mandatory exchange of verifiable personal/contact data), and a small reputation plugin so members could see how a person was conducting themselves in the marketplace. That made it as reliable as it could get. Ofc you'll never be able to stop 100% of all bad things happening, but if you can catch 95%, that seems good enough.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Ugh !
    Firstly...
    I am moving this to Site Feedback and Help.

Secondly...
    A little history...the Verification process is something that Members came up with because of the theft and fraud that was happening.

Last...
    I am sorry but nothing has changed - still no contact with @j0ker since :
    Verified Member Explained With More Detail (FAQ included)

Per the Verification page access to Classifieds is still on hold :
    How To Become A Verified Member
    "***FYI***
    Verified member request are currently on hold. Due to some security changes I have no access to the Control Panel to perform Verified Member upgrades. As soon as this issue is resolved, I will begin processing requests."

It's not as simple as someone taking things over. There are access issues that haven't been resolved for j0ker.
    Also, permissions under the hood are not an all encompassing thing...everyone can't access someone else's stuff. Even tho I am the Assistant Classified Manager, I can't access j0ker's stuff, nor do I have the permissions he has (had).
    About the best way I can explain it is kind of like a shopping mall...
    There are many stores in the Mall all owned by different companies. If one store is closed, another store can't go open it so you can shop there.

Thank you for the update.

Those of us who went through the verification process in May etc, knew of some of the problems via you updating the Verified Member thread you quoted above.

:thumb:

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Don't mind me, I've been wanting access for a while also. But, if this is above joker's pay grade to change/fix, wouldn't the site owner be able to resolve the Control panel issues?

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread