Classy looking, easy vinyl skin mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
These are some pics of my mods which were "skinned" using automotive grade vinyl decals. I picked up the vinyl sheets from Metrodecals.com. As far as the supplier is concerned, the ordering process, shipping, and price were excellent. I ordered the blue and black carbon fiber sheets, and a sheet of simulated burlwood.

The burlwood came printed on a glossy vinyl. The carbon fiber sheets were actually a thin metallic looking material with a glossy smooth surface. The pics really don't do these justice (my crappy photo skills probably don't help either).

dsc00680sq.jpg

dsc00685y.jpg

dsc00686cv.jpg

All three sheets came in a size around 12"x15". Each was rolled and shipped in a very thick cardboard shipping tube. Prices were around $5 each on average. Each sheet has enough material to skin several mods with a lot left over to also skin your attys or cartos (see the pic of my PS Icon to see an example).

The adhesive used on these sheets is incredibly good. Adhesion was far superior to any of the skin materials I've purchased to date from several other manufacturers/dealers.

I have always had a love for the classy look of burlwood and have outfitted several of my pistols with exotic burlwood grips. Until now, I had thought that the only way to get a nice burlwood tube-mod would be to try and custom order one. These skins have filled that particular desire quite well. It may not be evident in the pics, but the burlwood skins appear to have "depth" to the image. Almost 3D.

The blue carbon fiber is still unused at this moment as I just haven't really decided which mod to use it with. The carbon fiber skins really look impressive. They are definitely 3D as the weave appears to float and change depending upon angle and lighting.

I intend to order more sheets from this supplier for other projects and have no reservations about recommending their products to my friends. They are durable, easy to use/apply, and are positively stunning to see in person.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks,

Tinstar

PS: In case anyone was wondering, the Cobra/Decepticon insignias were ordered from Cobrastickers.com. Great stuff for refurbishing old GI Joe toys.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Thanks for all the comments.

The vinyl handles slightly curvy surfaces pretty well. The metallic decals like the carbon fibers I picked up, not so much. They do carry a carbon fiber printed on flexible vinyl that would probably work. The burl vinyl is working well as a skin on my Phillips MP3 player. I would imagine it would work just as well on the Tekk. You can use a heat gun/hair dryer to make the vinyl decals very pliant before application. Still haven't managed to get it to work on the SD MKII yet. I get about 50-60% covered before it starts getting wrinkles. Might have to split the difference and use a section for one half and a separate section for the other.

A little more overlap than I wanted but I suppose it wouldn't matter much as the material blends really well. I have to put it up to a bright light and intentionally look for the seam. The material is really well made. For around $5 a sheet I figured people would love this stuff. I've got more on order for doing my attys/cartos. Just wrap it on and trim with a razor. I won't have to bother ordering different color attys from one place and other colors from others. Just buy a load from one place and skin em all to match. I can finally dig in to that pile of pink attys I got by accident.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
tinstar15
they are awesome. The tube mods looks really classy. May i ask in the 1st picture name the mods from left to right please. really look fantastic

From left to right:
1. Totally Wicked Screwdriver (aka SD) MKII with a TW tank adapter (901->510) and an eGo XL atty
2. Super T Precise 10440 stainless (aka P10)
3. Puresmoker Icon
4. Chrome TW SDMKII with adapter and 510 atty
5. Ecigsupply Alloy mini (basically an unbranded Icon)

All, except the black SD, are fitted with drip tips from Super T.

Bulli: Thanks for the info, I'm thinking of picking up the same ones. On a side note, The seam isn't really all that noticable with the vinyl sheets. The carbon fiber sheets using the metal foil material is sorta kinda noticable, but not bad.

One thing I have noticed regarding the metallic carbon fiber style sheets is that they really want to return to a flat shape which causes them to peel away after a while. I fixed this by taking a small section from an old set of "bunny ear" antennas and tightly wrapping the section of decal around it without removing the backing. After doing this several times, it rolls up if released and resists peeling up when applied.

Thanks for all the replies :)

BigBulli

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
I've worked w/ vinyl and often you want the overlap because you can cut over it and then it's perfect. Should show it on youtube. There's also a liquid to put under it that allows movement for positioning and no wrinkles.

Makes sense and I'm sure with a pattern like the burl wood it'd be real hard to see the seam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread