Cosmetic Mods via Sandblaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I posted some of my stuff in the Super T section after I did some cosmetic modifications and personalizations to my P10. I thought I'd share the stuff I did to the others as well.

Left: Black TW SD MKII etched w/ Decepticon insignia
Center: Chrome TW SD MKII with custom hard acrylic avatar insignia
Right: PS Icon with etched lines and bordered Decepticon insignia
dsc00656lr.jpg

dsc00647dr.jpg

Left: PS Icon with black simulated carbon fiber wrap from Nhaler and chrome Decepticon insignia from Fastdecals.com
Right: Super T P10 with etched Decepticon insignia outline.
dsc00640k.jpg

The wrap on the last Icon was just to test the idea. Nhaler carries quite a few different types. I used the skins cut for the large Xhaler. They are a metal foil type and work very well on clean smooth surfaces. They weren't so good for the curvacious SD's though.

The chrome SD was done by ordering a Mon design from Makie-sticker.com. The specialize in gold and silver flake suspension hard acrylic decals. These have incredibly strong adhesives on them. They resist wear and peeling extremely well. They are to be considered nearly permanent once applied. I was told that they will do custom designs in quantity. Other designs are found by searching "makie sticker" on eBay.

To etch the designs, I used the 1" decals as a mask, then masked around the edges with electrical tape trimmed with a razor blade to follow the edges of the decal. Once masked off, I used a standard air compressor attached to a gravity feed media blaster from Sears. I used ultra fine silica (sand) on the Icon and SD's and ultra fine aluminum oxide on the P10. Both types of media produced the same results. The sand tends to be cheaper though.

Basically, you can etch any design you like if you can find a 1" sized vinyl decal (ebay, amazon, or just google "vinyl decals" or "vinyl car window decals"). A friend also suggested using a Cricut scrapbooking vinyl cutting device for making custom lettering. I haven't tried this yet, but can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Etching takes more abuse than wraps or stickers, but is rather monochromatic. Using ultra fine media does not produce much "texture". You don't really feel any difference in the surfaces unless you really try to.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread