Cleaning and drying attys (again... sigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
OK, I ran into trouble with one of my juices, and being stupid and stubborn, I just *had* to try it in all of my five attys to make sure it was the juice and not the atty... Well, now I have to pretty much sterilize all of them.

I am currently soaking them in alcohol, to get everything out. I'll do that for two or three hours (is that long enough?), then I'll wash them well in hot-ish water and blow them out very, very diligently.

I'd like to dry them faster than for 16 hours, though - I have nothing to vape with right now.

Last time I used a hair dryer, but still left it drying overnight. I read somewhere that I can put them in an oven at 150 degrees. Can someone tell me for how long to make sure they are dry? If I can't vape at all for the rest of the day, I'll go mad, I swear! 8-o

Briar.

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
OK, I ran into trouble with one of my juices, and being stupid and stubborn, I just *had* to try it in all of my five attys to make sure it was the juice and not the atty... Well, now I have to pretty much sterilize all of them.

I am currently soaking them in alcohol, to get everything out. I'll do that for two or three hours (is that long enough?), then I'll wash them well in hot-ish water and blow them out very, very diligently.

I'd like to dry them faster than for 16 hours, though - I have nothing to vape with right now.

Last time I used a hair dryer, but still left it drying overnight. I read somewhere that I can put them in an oven at 150 degrees. Can someone tell me for how long to make sure they are dry? If I can't vape at all for the rest of the day, I'll go mad, I swear! 8-o

Briar.

your leading me to believe you gunked up your atty's in an hour. You may have another problem. If what you're doing with the alcohol is working, your alcohol should "get dirty" or you'll see small carbon balls in your juice, alcohol alone, imo,doesn't do much more than take off the varnish on the sidewalls

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
your leading me to believe you gunked up your atty's in an hour.

In a word: yes, I think I did. What happened was this (sorry for taking up the time, but maybe someone will be patient an take pity on this inept newb):

I was trying to vape Vermont Vapor Maple juice. (I turned up sensitive to PG, and VV is VG based, and it does taste really good). I was having problems with it wicking. When I could get a puff out of it, it tasted fantastic. But at best it was a puff every half an hour, and I constantly got dry atty symptoms. I tried different cart mods: PTB, straw, different heights of the fill... I tried all five attys with these variations. No diff. So I tried direct dripping. Things go even worse. Two drops, and the atty chokes up - no vapor to speak of and no draw. Then I tried going back to my PG liquids, that wicked fine previously (I figured I can handle burning mouth just to see what's going on), and things didn't improve much. I figure - clogged up attys. So I followed the vid and blew them out, and followed up by gently stuffing paper towels into them. Primed with PG stuff, tried again. Now not only clogged atty symptoms, but they all smell burnt - sometimes like burnt paper, and sometimes like burn metal, and sometimes with this acrid taste like burning plastic (and no, the carts were not melting, I checked).

So I got fed up, and decided to sterilize all of them. It worked for me once before with my first atty. Yes, it does take some paint off, but that's better than what I'm having now... 8-o

I was desperate. And mad. I haven't had a single "normal" day since I started this adventure. And to make matters worse, I got my ecopure today (which wicks good and tastes good and is VG), and *the entire shipment* was bad - smells like bad medicine and vapes worse. :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, it's just really beginning to get to me...

Anyways, that's why the alcohol. I wasn't going to do a dry burn, and that's the only way I could figure to get all the c**p out of the attys.

If it doesn't work, I'll just bang my head on the wall, thank you very much... Ack. Grrrr. Yikes. :-x

Can you tell my stress level is waaaaaaay up?
:)

Cheers,
Briar.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
I bake clean attys dry before long term storage because I don't want to risk any corrosion issues or mold issues.

Could also bake them in a hot car, attic, etc.

The factory puts the primer on them for storage, which should protect them. Anyhoo - With attys being the mysterous things that they are, you may be on to something. Only time will tell.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The factory puts the primer on them for storage, which should protect them. Anyhoo - With attys being the mysterous things that they are, you may be on to something. Only time will tell.
There was another thread somewhere around here where someone asked Ruyan Direct (Heaven Gifts) about putting some juice on the atomizer before storing it away, and they replied that you should just store it dry, and that is how they store theirs.

I have yet to see any logical explanation from anyone why they should not be stored dry, but there may be some logical explanation for this floating around out there somewhere that I may have missed.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
As for the dry time, total drying isn't necessary since water is one of the ingredients of juice anyways. I rinse out my 901 attys, blow out the excess water and then prop them in a open window or heater vent for a little air circulation for an hour and a half or so. Then prime and vape.

Heater vent. Okay, that's clever. You should always let your atomizer dry for at least 24 hours before using. =) Yeah, like that's going to happen. I usually roll up a paper towel and slide it up in to the opening and leave it propped up. It tends to suck the liquid out. About an hour or two later and I'm ready to go. It doesn't vape straight away, some of the water has to "burn off" but I'm back to vaping in about 5 minutes. I know I should wait, but who wants to waste vaping time!

--Daffy

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
When you think about it, how do you know you should wait? I blow mine out with canned air, and hit it right away. No one really has a proven method.

Your air blow out is proof enough for me; hard to argue with the instant confirmation.

Talk to you in two years about the atty storage; I think they will all be fine.

More worried about the juice storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread