The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cleaning coils with vodka

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by Jackstraw, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Jackstraw

Jackstraw Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2012
    Out West
    I generally toss my coils out and simply replace when the taste is muted. But I've decided to try cleaning with vodka and re-using.

How long do you bath them in alcohol?

Do you rinse in water before or after the vodka bath?

Can you "batch clean* them in groups in the vodka and then put them away for later use, or do they need to stay wet and immediately go into the clearo? Someone said they might rust if you do not immediately use it.

For what it's worth I use CE 5+ short wick coils. ( I like warm vape).

2. EL Pistoffo

EL Pistoffo Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2013
    S. FL
    I rinse my kanger PT heads with hot water first, then dunk on cheap vodka for about 15 min, then rinse again and let dry. Lastly, a quick dry burn and ready to go.

3. AmandaD

AmandaD Vaping Master ECF Veteran Verified Member

Dec 9, 2013
    So Cal
    I generally soak mine overnight in vodka, leave out next day to dry, then store in a ziplock until I'm ready to use them again.

4. Papa_Lazarou

Papa_Lazarou MKUltra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Water -> vodka (1/2 hour) -> water -> air dry -> dry burn. I've had no problem doing multiples in the same bath.

5. Jackstraw

Oct 30, 2012
    Out West
    Thanks for the responses so far!

6. HairyNinja

HairyNinja Full Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Spring, TX
    Yeah, I have many customers, myself included, that use vodka. What I understand is that you do need that dry burn to make sure the alchohol is completely cleared out of the coil and wick.

HairyNinja

7. Miata GT

Miata GT Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Largo, FL
    I do this except that I have already taken them apart before soaking and threw away the flavor coil (replaced since new with cotton). I rebuild them with cotton then store them in a tiny Tupperware box. I always have a few in rotation so that I can clean a few at a time and replace them immediately in my tanks.

BTW in 2 months of vaping T3Ss I have never had to replace an atomizer coil.

8. Alter

Alter Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I read somewhere that the alcohol weakens the rubber parts like the insulators so they get crispy over time and fail. If you intend to rebuild those heads then those insulators are like gold and hard to replace. I just use the hottest tap water in a tupperware bowl in the sink and tweezers to hold the parts and when finished I run the water out through a seive, its saved me from loosing orings that have slipped off.

9. 03FXDWG

03FXDWG Super Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jul 22, 2013
    East Central, Missouri
    I soak overnight or all day in vodka, then rinse with hot water and let air dry. I only dry burn when the vapor production drops. In 6 months--5 coils have gone completely kaput. I re-wicked 3 with cotton and 2 were factory duds--the wire burnt up in them immediately after installation. The 3 I successfully re-wicked with cotton had the silica scorched & tasted horrible. They were my oldest & most used/abused.

I have all EVODs & Protanks.

10. Jonner

Jonner Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'd like to know how to do a "dry" burn and not scorch the silica, never worked for me.

11. Jackstraw

Oct 30, 2012
    Out West
    Me too. I have tried doing the dry burn, but it's never gone well for me.

12. Meggiewegs

Meggiewegs Full Member

Nov 18, 2013
    California
    Me too. I always end up scorching it or not burning it enough. Hard to find the sweet spot that people talk about.

13. Jackstraw

Oct 30, 2012
    Out West
    Glad I'm not the only dummy. I can hit a 2-iron down a one way street, but I can't dry burn a 2 buck coil.

14. twolostminds

twolostminds Senior Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I rinse my coils with hot water, soak them for an hour in Everclear and then let them air dry for an hour or two. Haven't had to do a dry burn since switching from vodka to everclear. This works great for me because I stink at trying to do a dry burn.

15. erikbal

erikbal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 31, 2013
    Olean, NY
    I also usually let mine soak over night in the vodka. Then I rinse really well with very warm water. Seems to work well for me for the most part.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

16. Jackstraw

Oct 30, 2012
    Out West
    Thanks for all the advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.