Cleaning coils with vodka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackstraw

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2012
Out West
I generally toss my coils out and simply replace when the taste is muted. But I've decided to try cleaning with vodka and re-using.

How long do you bath them in alcohol?

Do you rinse in water before or after the vodka bath?

Can you "batch clean* them in groups in the vodka and then put them away for later use, or do they need to stay wet and immediately go into the clearo? Someone said they might rust if you do not immediately use it.

For what it's worth I use CE 5+ short wick coils. ( I like warm vape).

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
I generally soak mine overnight in vodka, leave out next day to dry, then store in a ziplock until I'm ready to use them again.

I do this except that I have already taken them apart before soaking and threw away the flavor coil (replaced since new with cotton). I rebuild them with cotton then store them in a tiny Tupperware box. I always have a few in rotation so that I can clean a few at a time and replace them immediately in my tanks.

BTW in 2 months of vaping T3Ss I have never had to replace an atomizer coil.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I read somewhere that the alcohol weakens the rubber parts like the insulators so they get crispy over time and fail. If you intend to rebuild those heads then those insulators are like gold and hard to replace. I just use the hottest tap water in a tupperware bowl in the sink and tweezers to hold the parts and when finished I run the water out through a seive, its saved me from loosing orings that have slipped off.

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
I soak overnight or all day in vodka, then rinse with hot water and let air dry. I only dry burn when the vapor production drops. In 6 months--5 coils have gone completely kaput. I re-wicked 3 with cotton and 2 were factory duds--the wire burnt up in them immediately after installation. The 3 I successfully re-wicked with cotton had the silica scorched & tasted horrible. They were my oldest & most used/abused.

I have all EVODs & Protanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread