Cleaning pcb inside mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper41

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Maine USA
I have been looking for a way to clean the pcb, under the buttons, etc...
with out damaging the pcb or display screen.
I have a tesla and the buttons have been getting a bit sticky.
probably from some dust/dirt getting in from cut outs and from some juice
leaking down into the mod.

I might be able to get a long qtip up to the pcb through the battery opening.
other than that I have not found a safe way to remove the top cap to disassemble
the mod.

Is there some thing I can spray into the mod then blow out with an air compressor?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Interesting question. The problem with dissolving "gunk" is that it tends to migrate somewhere else... so constant movement (of the device being cleaned) and drainage are considerations. An APV is a relatively simple electronic device, so other than issues of creating a distortion within an OLED screen, the chances of success are pretty good.

LPS makes an electrical contact cleaner called "Micro-X". It contains no chlorinated solvents and is (very) fast evaporating. I've used it to clean, successfully, classic & rare aircraft and motorcycle instruments (both of which are exposed to the elements) that cannot be disassembled without destroying them.

Understand that this is but one brand of product. It may be easier to find other brands... but it's critical that the chemical composition is such that it not harm any type of plastic or assembly adhesives, dry quickly and leave no residue of it's own behind.

You may have the best success with multiple light clean and dry sessions. Speaking of "clean and dry"... make certain that your air supply is a one. No benefit to blasting water or oil contaminated air into your clean APV.

Good luck. ;-)

Viper41

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Maine USA
I finally picked up some Precision Electronics Cleaner, I sprayed it into my tesla. let it sit for just a few seconds then blew out the cleaner with air. waited to make sure it was dried and put a battery in and tried it. the buttons worked like new and the oled screen so far seems to be working fine. one thing i did notice is the plastic screen above the oled screen was not glued in place. it is only pressed in. so the force of the spray and/or the air will pop it out. after cleaning it just popped right back into place.

this is my results. this product and cleaning process was my choice and I do not know a lot about this product or way of cleaning.
So use this method at your own risk.

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Heh. I have built circuit boards for a living for almost 15 years now. The board itself is mostly impervious to anything, the components on it are another matter. We actually used to wash completed boards in an industrial dish washer with Cascade detergent to clean them before assembly. Make sure the PCB is removed from power, then use alcohol. I would then bake it at about 100 degrees for a couple of hours to remove any residual moisture before firing it up. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread