cleaning sub tank coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
I have seen several youtube videos on how to clean the coils. When my coils get off a bit from use. Not abused. I put them in some vodka let them soak over night maybe a little longer. I then rinse them thoroughly let them dry for a few days. When I go to use them I prep them almost like a new coil. All of them have a funky taste even after a couple of tanks. I have tried this with the crown the kanger and smok tfv. Has anyone had any luck bringing back a used coil to life?
I know it is not going to be like brand new but it shouldn't be off that bad.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I cleaned my coils in the beginning. Now that I'm using a wider variety of devices including RTAs the extra day or two of life isn't worth the effort for me. I'm thrilled with the Joytech CLR coil as it can be both rewicked and rebuilt very easily. Of course, that isn't the case with ALL storebought coils and I don't know a ton about the sub0hm ones and how easy/difficult they may be to clean/rebuild.

I do still keep all my spent Nautilus coils, but mainly because a) I'm a hoarder b) They can be rebuilt with great effort, but I may have some time on my hands if I wind up in the vacopalypse bunker.

You should use distilled water to rinse the coils, or soak them in everclear, then just dry them and/or, well, boiling appears to work for some of those coils. I would experiment a bit, but if you don't find a method that works, I'm not sure it is worth it. To me, in the end it was not.

Anna

Reactions: KC0YNU

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
While I have saved almost every coil from my Melo devices (Melo 2, Melo 3, Melo 4 and Ijusts), I just don't see me making a big effort to clean them.
I may get desperate enough, one day, to do so, but I would probably try to rebuild them instead.

But then, I only need enough for the wife.. I switched to OBS Engine Nano's for the most part, and of course, Oumier Wasp Nano RDA's for squonking..

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
A 30 minute boil in tap water usually gets out what's coming out. My water is pH neutral and no hard water here. I've gotten several additional tanks full out of Kanger and Smok Baby coils this way. Almost all of my tanks have rebuildable atomizers in them so I'm not going through factory coil like I used to.

The longer you use factory coils in coil gunking liquids (those would be the ones that taste so good), the less gunk is coming out of them. Twice through is my limit.

Boiling a coil clean is not much more or less time consuming than disassembling an RTA, dry burning the coil(s) and installing new wicks. It's actually less time consuming because all you do is boil water. And wicking an RTA is an acquired skill.

Don't use vodka, PGA, Isopropyl or vinegar. None of that stuff works like 30 minutes in boiling water.

Don't let anyone tell you that you'll save tons of money! rebuilding, either. It's cheaper, yes. Tons cheaper? New tanks... wire... tools... wick material... the value of your time... no.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread