Clearomizer Terrible Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

vaping newb here. About a week and a half ago I got a eGo-T 1100mah battery and a couple of CE4 clearomizers and some ejuice. It worked great until yesterday, when it suddenly started tasting awful, like melted plastic.

I read around on the internet and saw some people posting about similar issues, and they all said the same thing: cut a little bit off the lip of the silicon cap inside the tank. So, I did that. No dice. Still tastes like benzene.

So I decided the clearomizer must just be worn out, and switched to the other one which I hadn't even removed from packaging yet. Right out of the gate, burnt flavor again.

Now I'm at a loss.

Anyone have any ideas for what the issue could be?

Thanks.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I am suspecting your battery is at fault. I had a battery that had some of the protective circuitry burned out of it, and it was burning everything. Your charger may also be the problem, in fact, a bad charger can cause a battery to go bad. Get replacements for both, and sort it out from there.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
If you vape faster then the wicks can wick you will end up burning the coils / wicks and the flavor will never go away. I found that if you tilt the tank (not invert) so that the juice runs up to the atomizer head and roll the tank around you will re saturate the wicks and it helps.
Yeah, I forgot the top coil factor. I switched to bottom coils for that reason. I recoil them in such a way that I hardly ever get a dry hit. I also have four cartotanks, which don't give a dry hit. On any of those, sucking a bit before you hit the power will improve it if it is not a defective battery.

Hi - I got a burnt plastic taste off a CE4 so I breathed the vapour into a carbon monoxide detector - you know the sort you can install in your room. It registered 250ppm. That's enough to poison you. Another CE4 registered 7ppm. same brand. Same e-juice.

I took it back to the shop

There's a lot of talk about dry hits and burnt taste. They are two different things. A dry hit is a stinging in the throat caused by the wick not being saturated. Burnt taste is caused by burning plastic. I'm really shocked that nobody else has tried a CO detector.

The CE4 is made by many manufacturers. I guess some of them use the wrong grade of silicon rubber in their insulators so it burns.
Get a CO detector

IGhost

Jun 7, 2014
USA Tampa, FL
Okay well your battery may be faulty is a thing but before you go out and get a new battery. my Girlfriend had the same issue and i got her a PBC V1 tank like I have and the taste went away. I would suggest checking out your wicks if changing a tank doesnt fix the issue than i would say its most likely you battery. I would also recommend what The Mean Fiddler said and get a CO detector last thing you need is to be poisoned by a faulty tank.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Some curious comments.

I vaped successfully on "legacy" products before I discovered clearomisers. (cartos, atomizer + cartridge)

The day I got a CE4 was a happy day! :)

BUT, and here comes the crunch moment. I never got more than 48 hours from one. They dry out, start dry-burning themselves and then other parts of them (silicone/plastic) start to also get too hot as well.
The taste is vile and the "smoke" that comes off is certainly unhealthy.

Either learn to vape slow and swill the liquid frequently or use a different clearo.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
One other tip is not to vape cinnamon or acidic flavors like fruit because they don't do plastic very well and you don't want to leech plastic. I've always favored Kanger T2 clearos myself. Let that juice have an opp to absorb into the wick and take a 2-3 second drag, hold it in your mouth, then inhale (like your granddad and his pipe). Don't "smoke" it like a cigarette. Also, once the atties burnt, it's burnt, and needs to be replaced. And keep an eye on your equipment - that the brand isn't a knockoff. Good luck and sorry about the rough start.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Anyone have any ideas for what the issue could be?

sarcasm.gif
    Ya ....... it's a clearomizer. So by all means try a different clearomizer.
    Why do you think there are so many different clearomizers?!? ............ answer .......... because they don't work!!!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    sarcasm.gif
    Ya ....... it's a clearomizer. So by all means try a different clearomizer.
    Why do you think there are so many different clearomizers?!? ............ answer .......... because they don't work!!!

Generally speaking, I agree. :unsure:

The very design of the less-expensive clearomizers is faulty, IMHO. Clearos are great for beginning vapers because they are so easy to fill and have easy to replace coil heads. That's not too much to expect beginners to do, and for most part they allow a good start to get into vaping.

However, a moderate to heavy vaper will easily out-vape the tiny silica strings meant to wick e-liquid to the heating coils, leading to the dry/burnt hits often experienced. This is countered by those who draw too hard on their clearomizer, allowing more liquid to coils than they can vaporize, the excess liquid has nowhere to go but the air chamber -- resulting in gurgling, juice in the mouth, or leaking onto the battery. The majority of clearomizers have inconsistant performance.

Silica is not the best flavor carrier. Therefore many clearomizers will mute flavors.

It might be time to consider advancing up to a better juice delivery attachment and overall setup.

Proper Terminology: Juice Attachments

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    Edit: On second thought, could this be the alleged "primer" taste that everyone is talking about?
    I doubt it, but if it goes away, then that is what it is.

Try some different juices, too. Sometimes a juice that you liked at first can suddenly get downright ugly.

DV eGo Twist - 1100mah - Black

You can safely ignore baditude's suggestions. I do all the time.

DV BCC Clearomizer I use these clearos. And heads for them are DV BCC Coil Heads I am in the process of retiring my topcoils. I hate dry hits, and my rememberer for turning them upsidedown for another soaking is broke.

By all means, buy a new charger.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread