Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I've seen people mention they have cloned tanks (I have a kanger toptank mini clone myself) and people have mentioned cloned mods but what about drop in coils(I'm assuming that's what you call the pre-made, screw in coils) ?
I'm disabled so money is tight and most of my gear was given to me . But I only have a few coils left.
My tanks are either kanger toptank minis or smok baby or big baby. Will I be safe ordering a batch of cloned coils from ebay for a drastically reduced price or am I just asking for something to explode in my face or sit there doing nothing?
I can't make my own for reasons too numerous to go into but trust me when I say that the very idea of making my own coils would terrify anyone who knows me ;)

I've seen people mention they have cloned tanks (I have a kanger toptank mini clone myself) and people have mentioned cloned mods but what about drop in coils(I'm assuming that's what you call the pre-made, screw in coils) ?
I'm disabled so money is tight and most of my gear was given to me . But I only have a few coils left.
My tanks are either kanger toptank minis or smok baby or big baby. Will I be safe ordering a batch of cloned coils from ebay for a drastically reduced price or am I just asking for something to explode in my face or sit there doing nothing?
I can't make my own for reasons too numerous to go into but trust me when I say that the very idea of making my own coils would terrify anyone who knows me ;)
Hmmm. I will say that cloned ones are most likely to just be duds to begin with, or won't work for myriads of other reasons...
My suggestion would be to get somebody to build for you if you can't build yourself, which, short of being paraplegic or possibly late stage Parkinson's is not impossible, but I do understand it isn't the easiest thing for everyone.
There are companies that make reasonably priced prebuilt coils as well, so you really aren't 100% stuck with just drop ins.
I honestly recommend getting away from drop in coil tanks if money is a problem. As an added bonus, most rebuildable tanks will provide superior flavor anyway.
My .02, take it or leave it.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
They may not blow up in your face, but most likely they won't taste very good or last any time at all. That has been my experience with the kanger subtanks (really the same as the Toptanks).

Your best bet would be to spend what you have to for a coil or two to last you a few weeks, and order your coils from Fasttech, where you can get a 5 pack of most the authentic coils made for kanger for under $8. Takes a few weeks in most cases, but well worth the wait in the cost savings.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Genuine factory made coils are made for pennies and can have iffy QC. Knock-offs of these, well you can imagine...
If half of them are non functional and the rest are of poor quality, you are looking at a possible false economy.
As suggested, if you plan ahead it's possible to get genuine coils for a good price if you factor in the wait time from China. A better solution long term is to use a rebuildable system, though I can understand if that is impracticable for you.

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I have no problem buying clones of hardware but the one thing i will never again do is buy clone coils. It's relatively easy to give a tank a good clean and change out the o rings if they're poor quality. A drop in coil is different, this is what you will be breathing into your lungs and there is no guarantee that the wire or cotton used is of sufficient quality. Resistances tend to be haphazzard also.
I did try cloned coils once. Just once.

• Agree

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Hmmm. I will say that cloned ones are most likely to just be duds to begin with, or won't work for myriads of other reasons...
My suggestion would be to get somebody to build for you if you can't build yourself, which, short of being paraplegic or possibly late stage Parkinson's is not impossible, but I do understand it isn't the easiest thing for everyone.
There are companies that make reasonably priced prebuilt coils as well, so you really aren't 100% stuck with just drop ins.
I honestly recommend getting away from drop in coil tanks if money is a problem. As an added bonus, most rebuildable tanks will provide superior flavor anyway.
My .02, take it or leave it.
Thanks! I'm blind in one eye, losing sight in the other, serious arthritis in both hands plus they tremble. Anything I try to put together would be laughable and spouse is antivaping and won't help so I'm stuck with something already made.
I wouldn't know how to tell a rebuilt coil from a drop in. I mean it when I say I'm a newbie trying to learn everything at once. Thanks for your help.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
They may not blow up in your face, but most likely they won't taste very good or last any time at all. That has been my experience with the kanger subtanks (really the same as the Toptanks).

Your best bet would be to spend what you have to for a coil or two to last you a few weeks, and order your coils from Fasttech, where you can get a 5 pack of most the authentic coils made for kanger for under $8. Takes a few weeks in most cases, but well worth the wait in the cost savings.
I have a couple coils and don't mind waiting. If worse comes to worse I can go to the local vape shop and get a couple coils to get me through till my order arrives Thanks!

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Genuine factory made coils are made for pennies and can have iffy QC. Knock-offs of these, well you can image...
If half of them are non functional and the rest are of poor quality, you are looking at a possible false economy.
As suggested, if you plan ahead it's possible to get genuine coils for a good price if you factor in the wait time from China. A better solution long term is to use a rebuildable system, though I can understand if that is impracticable for you.
I wish I could build my own but anything I'd produce would probably be worse than the clones lol

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I have no problem buying clones of hardware but the one thing i will never again do is buy clone coils. It's relatively easy to give a tank a good clean and change out the o rings if they're poor quality. A drop in coil is different, this is what you will be breathing into your lungs and there is no guarantee that the wire or cotton used is of sufficient quality. Resistances tend to be haphazzard also.
I did try cloned coils once. Just once.
That's kinda what I was thinking and why I asked. I used the coil in my cloned toptank and it gave me nothing but trouble I just wasn't sure if it was the cloned coil or me ;)
I really appreciate y'all taking the time to help me learn more about vaping and the paraphernalia that goes along with it. Now if I could just learn what all the acronyms mean. ROFL

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yep, biggest problem to me is cloned coils may not work, but they also may be made of subpar materials. Glad you will be going the FT route and etc. If a product is labeled "authentic" on Fasttch, you can be certain that it will be so.

Best of luck, there is a process to "revive" spent coils by cleaning them if you wind up in dire straits waiting for your new coils. You can soak spent coils in everclear (or hot, distilled water) overnight to release burnt "gunk" then rinse and dry thoroughly (some folks use a blowdryer on the low setting for this.

It's not an ideal situation as there may still be some "gunk" in them and they certainly won't last as long and will probably die at an unpredictable moment. I did this for a while myself using nautilus coils to get a bit of extra life in them. I ceased doing it as I did have some concerns, overall, as to how 'relatively" clean they got and the sort of "erratic" amount of time I got vaping wise before they "gunked" again so I'm not really endorsing this as a long term strategy, more in case you run out of funds (and coils) before your new coils arrive, and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Buying Non-OEM Coil Heads can be Hit or Miss. Although I do think there is a Higher Chance that you will receive Coil Heads that are Poor Performers when you go with Non-OEM ones.

Here's My thinking...

If I had a 5-Pack or Two of OEM Coil Heads that I know work well the Drawer, then I would Try a Pack of Non-OEM Coil Heads and see how they work. But if I am down to my Last Couple of Coil Heads, then No, I would Buy what I know Works. Even if they Cost More.

Because I Never want to get to the Point where I'm Trying an Unknown without having something to Fall Back On if things go South on me.

• Useful

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Yep, biggest problem to me is cloned coils may not work, but they also may be made of subpar materials. Glad you will be going the FT route and etc. If a product is labeled "authentic" on Fasttch, you can be certain that it will be so.

Best of luck, there is a process to "revive" spent coils by cleaning them if you wind up in dire straits waiting for your new coils. You can soak spent coils in everclear (or hot, distilled water) overnight to release burnt "gunk" then rinse and dry thoroughly (some folks use a blowdryer on the low setting for this.

It's not an ideal situation as there may still be some "gunk" in them and they certainly won't last as long and will probably die at an unpredictable moment. I did this for a while myself using nautilus coils to get a bit of extra life in them. I ceased doing it as I did have some concerns, overall, as to how 'relatively" clean they got and the sort of "erratic" amount of time I got vaping wise before they "gunked" again so I'm not really endorsing this as a long term strategy, more in case you run out of funds (and coils) before your new coils arrive, and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna
I'm not sure I'm that short of funds at the moment but it's happened and this is a very good technique to know about if I find myself in a bind. I really appreciate it.

I'm so glad I found this site. I'm learning so much helpful information and no one has called me an idiot newbie yet ;)

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Buying Non-OEM Coil Heads can be Hit or Miss. Although I do think there is a Higher Chance that you will receive Coil Heads that are Poor Performers when you go with Non-OEM ones.

Here's My thinking...

If I had a 5-Pack or Two of OEM Coil Heads that I know work well the Drawer, then I would Try a Pack of Non-OEM Coil Heads and see how they work. But if I am down to my Last Couple of Coil Heads, then No, I would Buy what I know Works. Even if they Cost More.

Because I Never want to get to the Point where I'm Trying an Unknown without having something to Fall Back On if things go South on me.
I think I'll stick with the site a few of y'all have mentioned. I didn't even know it existed. Nothing much pisses me off more than someone ripping me off and selling me items that don't work. I wouldn't save much buying the unbranded coils from eBay compared to that site anyway. I'm already working out my first order. You know - what's needed compared to what's wanted :)

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
I once ordered a 5 pack of cloned Nautilus coils from FT.... never again. A 5 week wait and 3 duds. I've still got the other 2 but it's been so long since I used the Nautilus. I actually left eliquid in it when I put it down for my iJust kit (memories :D) and found it the other day... the e-liquid has turned to gunk inside the tank it's been that long.... would still taste better than the clones though.

I'd highly recommend buying the authentic coils over the cloned coils for that reason alone. Your other alternative is to buy premade coils online for an RBA deck.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread