Clones??

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Order from a reputable vendor (and there are certainly some Chinese vendors that are reputable, including Fasttech (clones are marked as styled, vs authentic) 3Fvape and some others. In the US, well you can certainly check out ECF "approved" vendors, you can count on authentic to be authentic and vice versa (unless there are no clones being carried by that vape shop).

Most people run into difficulties using sites like ebay and etc. I'm not going to say there aren't any "bad" vendors, there most certainly are. But, if you check out the vendor list in ECF, they usually have a staff member (or owner) who can respond to any concerns, etc.

If you want to buy in person, I'd say check reviews and google any "real world" vendors before going there, etc.

Sometimes, clones aren't a "bad" thing exactly (well, I'm sure the creators of said vape items feel that they may be) but certain vape gear can be excellent and also pricy, and there are "known" clone makers, some more trusted than others. There are occasional times a "clone" may even be considered "as good or better" than the original, although not always. However, with some atomizers for example which may be highly desired, located overseas, it can sometimes come in useful to have access to a clone, or to try one before buying the original to get a sense of if you might like it or not and etc., etc. So, sometimes it's not so bad to get a clone with the knowledge you are doing so.

However, for entry level vape gear and your purposes, probably getting a clone (especially if sold as an authentic) would be a bad thing. Fortunately, you will have many choices of reputable vendors right here at ECF.

Do you know what you are searching for?

Also, I don't tend to trust vendors (any of them) for removable batteries if that is what you want, I'd advise buying from merchants listed in Mooch's table of battery tests, the last cell will show a list of authentic, reputable battery sellers.

I don't know if you need all this information now, but I will link it, in case you are wanting a removable battery mod. Many people starting vaping don't start out with a removable battery, but since I'm unsure what type of vape you want, I will list the two blogs to follow regarding battery safety. If a removable battery mod is not in your immediate future, you certainly don't have to read through them, but they may be useful for in the future, and etc.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blogs/mooch.256958/

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/baditudes-blogs.7609/

Best of luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with Anna's excellent commentary. Some vendors (brick & mortar and online) do sell authentic and/or cloned gear. Those of us who have been vaping for a number of years have a pretty good idea which online vendors may sell cloned or counterfeit gear, and which ones only sell authentic gear. Being a new vaper, you don't have that experience to fall back on.

Over the years I have ordered from My Vapor Store, Discount Vapers, AltSmoke, Eciggity, and Fast Tech. I've never had issues with any of them. Fast Tech and Eciggity will state if an item they sell is "authentic" or a clone ("styled").

The batteries you choose to use in your mod will be your most important gear choice. There are many counterfeits and re-wrap batteries on the market. Therefore, we recommend to buy only from trusted and reputable vendors that deal specifically with batteries.

Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread