Cloud Chasing the safe way

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBaby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
West GA
I just shot this one, and I will say that this coil is a winner. The vapor production is huge and extremely dense, it heats up quickly, vape is warm, and there is no lack of flavor. I shot this at my full nicotine strength of 12mg, which proved to be a bit high for something like this. This is my style and with everything going on now I just thought I would share. I build solid medium resistance coils, give them plenty of air, and rock them on protected devices....all at only 2.9 amps.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Don't confuse output amps with battery draw ... 15 watts is 15 watts on the battery, this is pulling up to ~4.7 amps.

This is about equal to a ~0.9-1 ohm coil on a mech, and it makes a comparable cloud.

Pretty 100% sure you got that wrong, Ohm's law rarely lies:

The higher the resistance the lower the amps draw for a given voltage.

His provari would not have fired a 4+ amp draw. Behold the E1 error!

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Pretty 100% sure you got that wrong, Ohm's law rarely lies:

The higher the resistance the lower the amps draw for a given voltage.

His provari would not have fired a 4+ amp draw.

The provari is capable of doing 3.5A OUTPUT, the input draw on the battery side of the booster is different from that. Ohms law applies directly only if it's a direct connection to the battery, i.e. unregulated/mech. There is no free lunch here, the power is coming from the battery to fire that 1.8 ohm coil at 15w. And my calculation assumed 100% converter efficiency, which is never the case.

So in reality as far as battery draw, this is as "safe" as a 0.9-1.0 range coil on a mech.

BigBaby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
West GA
Don't confuse output amps with battery draw ... 15 watts is 15 watts on the battery, this is pulling up to ~4.7 amps.

While I understand what you are saying, I am not confusing anything. In this case, the amount of current that the electronics of my provari is drawing from the battery to do its thing is irreverent as it will always be within a safe range. Even at the same draws the provari and other mods have numerous built protections....what happens if that .9 coil shorts and becomes a .15 coil? Well I can tell you that my provari will no longer fire it where as your mech will... If we start taking an inception approach to vaping theory, and dissecting the levels even more than we already do, we are going to start making things even more confusing for a lot of people.

I am also not comparing this to peoples' .9ohm coils, for what it is worth I vape 1.0ohm coils on that provari. This is in response to people who are going to extreme measures to achieve similar results (if even that) and particularly multi coil setups which is where massive amounts of current really start to come into play.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
While I understand what you are saying, I am not confusing anything. In this case, the amount of current that the electronics of my provari is drawing from the battery to do its thing is irreverent as it will always be within a safe range. If we start taking an inception approach to vaping theory, things we are going to start making things even more confusing for a lot of people.

Safe range for what? Not any ICR 18350s. This isn't inception in the least, you put forth the 2.9 amp number and it is 100% irrelevant to any safety question.

what happens if that .9 coil shorts and becomes a .15 coil?

How, by the coils touching? :laugh:

I am also not comparing this to peoples' .9ohm coils, for what it is worth I vape 1.0ohm coils on that provari. This is in response to people who are going to extreme measures to achieve similar results (if even that) and particularly multi coil setups which is where massive amounts of current really start to come into play.

I'm not going to get into any kind of pissing match over this, but your results are comparable to about the equivalent watt output on a mech. People can always get better or worse results dependinng on how they set their stuff up but there is no magic going on here and no different battery draw to a slightly subohm coil on a mech.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread