Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I am also glad you are OK. This could have been disasterous.

I am also having a problem with my mini. 17 days after every day use along with my istick and it's (the mini) almost dead. Contacted cloupor and they want a video. I guess my receipt and my "VIP" cloupor card isn't enough. Mine did not blow up or catch fire, but it it won't fire hardly at all. Takes a few seconds. Then, when it does start to fire the atomizer, it's very low. I mean, if I have a 1.8 coil (which is what I always used on it, I'm not a big sub-ohm vaper) set at say 15 watts, The amount of vapor I get out of it is less than that same coil on a 3.6 ego battery. Just after a minute of use, you can feel a bit of heat right underneath the silver cloupor sticker just under the battery door (you know, right on top of the chipset housing). Once I get around to getting an ecig volt meter I will be making a video and I will be sending it to them. Just so busy, I'm not even sure it's worth if if I would have to pay to ship the thing to China.

I was using a brand new efest IMR 18650 purple 2500MaH High Drain battery that has a 35A discharge current. I thought this was OK to use with the mini but maybe someone can chime in here about that. I bought 2 and the Cloupor mini still acts the same on both batteries. And I have tried many different tanks with no dice, so I know it is the Cloupor.

I also admit that I have used it as passthrough while charging and always charged the battery in the device using the supplied charging cable.

I'll never buy any Cloupor products again because of this and because of the ill-engineered body that makes the battery door unstable. I was told by a local vaper that has been vaping years longer than I have not to buy anything cloupor, but I really wanted a small unit with a replaceable battery and this seemed perfect. I guess I learned a lesson.

Will try to keep you all posted as to what Cloupor does after I send a video to them, but I don't expect much. $55 down the drain. Maybe I might try to change the innards, but not sure I want to try really.

Glad I saw this thread, I rarely pay attention to the new members forum anymore. My cloupor will sit on the shelf with NO BATTERY until I get around to filling it with a meter for Cloupor.

I hope this does not discourage the OP or anyone else from vaping. I know it doesn't phase me, I will just stay away from Cloupor from now on. I also will never charge batteries inside devices like this or use them as passthroughs. But can you really blame consumers for doing these things when they tell you that you can and they supply the cable for it?

I'd hate to say it, but it's stuff like this that makes governments intervene. And for good reason. Units like these should cost more becasue they need to be built safer. I would pay $30 or $40 more than I did for the same but safer unit. I'm not joking. That's how much I love vaping over smoking.

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2014
    Williamsport, PA
    -SNIP-

I'd hate to say it, but it's stuff like this that makes governments intervene. And for good reason. Units like these should cost more becasue they need to be built safer. I would pay $30 or $40 more than I did for the same but safer unit. I'm not joking. That's how much I love vaping over smoking.

I respect your conclusion, but I disagree. Safety is not an acceptable item to compromise solely for the pace of innovation and engineering. All they had to do was test it longer and revise bugs as they found them that doesn't really increase your costs by a lot. That kind of arrogance in product design and engineering is unacceptable from anyone, but from Cloupor, it's almost truth being stranger than fiction when you consider their track record. Early Canas, T5, T6 and T8. I had high hopes for them to make headway with improving their products and reputation based on how happy people were with the Cana v3s.

Oh well. I'm glad the OP made it out safely and that the shop is taking care of it. I'm also sorry for your inconvenience cxm. That's a bummer about having to get a volt meter and record it. I've never understood that. You, as the manufacturer are liable for your product and its warrantable items. If it's bad, replace or repair it. If it's not, just have the customer pay the shipping and mail it back. (Doubly so for common issues, like Cloupor Minis setting themselves alight.) (Edit: maybe not super common for it, but it's not exactly rare at this point.)

Last edited:

Nepenthy

ECF Veteran
    Jun 16, 2009
    Cbus, Ohio
    I had my mini for a week and was really liking it. This morning I smell something funny and look over at my mod to find smoke coming out of the vent hole. This was while the mod was just sitting there, not being used or charged. Melted a sizable hole in the plastic cover that covers the electronics and took my 2 day old vtc5 with it. I took it to the shop I bought it from and noticed they didnt have any mini's in the display case any longer. Apparently Im the 5th person THIS WEEK, that has had a mini meltdown and now they refuse to carry it. 2 days leading up to this I noticed the unit would reboot every time I plugged the charger in, so watch out if thats currently happening to you. The shop swapped me with a IPV 30 watt, form factor not that great and not as stealthy, but probably isnt going to catch on fire.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I had my mini for a week and was really liking it. This morning I smell something funny and look over at my mod to find smoke coming out of the vent hole. This was while the mod was just sitting there, not being used or charged. Melted a sizable hole in the plastic cover that covers the electronics and took my 2 day old vtc5 with it. I took it to the shop I bought it from and noticed they didnt have any mini's in the display case any longer. Apparently Im the 5th person THIS WEEK, that has had a mini meltdown and now they refuse to carry it. 2 days leading up to this I noticed the unit would reboot every time I plugged the charger in, so watch out if thats currently happening to you. The shop swapped me with a IPV 30 watt, form factor not that great and not as stealthy, but probably isnt going to catch on fire.

Did you take any Pictures of the Insides?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Yes, PBusardo said Clouper reported 40-50 units have set on fire :( Terrible. I would ask for a refund and buy something else.

50 out of 100,000 and counting................. Thanks but I'll keep mine.
    There is the possibility that a single run or single machine process was defective and only very small number were processed. Cloupor has said, in their broken English, they are trying to compile the information an locate the defective units.
    It may be as simple as recalling from a few Venders that received Batch(X) from a particular Day or shift.

Never seen so much cackling over a under $40 mod.
    Would hate to see if this was an Auto forum and someone had an issue:facepalm:

I don't like to see issues any more than the next person. That said, if you want perfection Guarantied - Get off your wallet.:laugh:

Eric Auer

ECF Veteran
    Dec 14, 2014
    PA
    There is the possibility that a single run or single machine process was defective and only very small number were processed. Cloupor has said, in their broken English, they are trying to compile the information an locate the defective units.
    It may be as simple as recalling from a few Venders that received Batch(X) from a particular Day or shift.

I don't like to see issues any more than the next person. That said, if you want perfection Guarantied - Get off your wallet.:laugh:

Price should not be an excuse for poor QC.

I was considering a Cloupor but with so many other options available in the market I see no need to.

Just not worth the potential hassle, I got enough of other things to deal with in my daily life.

Eric

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Price should not be an excuse for poor QC.

I was considering a Cloupor but with so many other options available in the market I see no need to.

Just not worth the potential hassle, I got enough of other things to deal with in my daily life.

Eric

If you knew Jack about manufacturing, you might understand it may well be an issue that would not show under normal Q.C. conditions.
    Not exactly like the problem with the eVic which immediately showed by refusing to fire after entering any menu.

It is EASY to blame everything on POOR Q.C. - Reality is it just doesn't always work that way.

Yes, I have worked in a Few manufacturing facilities.
    General Electric ring any bells?

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 5, 2009
    Minnesota, USA

If this was an automobile it would be headlining the news right now. How many of those 100,000 are still sitting on site shelves?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    If this was an automobile it would be headlining the news right now. How many of those 100,000 are still sitting on site shelves?

Second 1/2 first.
    Damn near every Dealer was sold out on Pre-orders - First 50K shipped and most dealers that listed in stock cleared out the popular colors in 48-72hrs.
    I'd say not to many when you consider - WORLD WIDE Sales

Now part 1:
    If this was an Automobile - in the news or not - there would be a recall by serial number from xxa to xxz effecting no other units.(once the DATA has been compiled)
    40+ years in the Automotive business:D

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    If you knew Jack about manufacturing, you might understand it may well be an issue that would not show under normal Q.C. conditions.
    Not exactly like the problem with the eVic which immediately showed by refusing to fire after entering any menu.

It is EASY to blame everything on POOR Q.C. - Reality is it just doesn't always work that way.

Yes, I have worked in a Few manufacturing facilities.
    General Electric ring any bells?

If you Worked for GE than you Probably know that Fire is NEVER Considered an Expectable Failure.

Sure, a 2% Failure Rate may be Considered Expectable when the Failure means that the APV just Doesn't Turn On. But a Report of a Failure that caused Fire?

That is what Boeing would call a "Line Stopper".

And would prompt Departments to soon receive an ADCN.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio

I hope yours is fine. But, if it burns down your house or sets on fire in your pocket, you will likely feel differently.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I hope yours is fine. But, if it burns down your house or sets on fire in your pocket, you will likely feel differently.

Yeah... And the Liability if a APV Catches your Bed on Fire and you Die in you Sleep is a Tad more than if the Screen just goes Blank One Day.

:blink:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    If you Worked for GE than you Probably know that Fire is NEVER Considered an Expectable Failure.

Sure, a 2% Failure Rate may be Considered Expectable when the Failure means that the APV just Doesn't Turn On. But a Report of a Failure that caused Fire?

That is what Boeing would call a "Line Stopper".

And would prompt Departments to soon receive an ADCN.

Not your every day Idiot, thanks. I am smart enough to disable ALL my MODS when not in use.
    I Do NOT pocket the Cloupor
    I do power it OFF if transporting
    I pull my Battery when not actually in use - easy with magnetic back.

As to ANY fire is unacceptable - Agreed, even though only one I have read up on claimed FIRE. The others so far(that I have checked out) MELTED DOWN
    The one in the yard with EFEST battery, smoking like mad - Melted
    There isn't much in there to actually Burn:
    Fibreglass Board
    Carbon/silicon Chips
    a Bit of Plastic
    Lots of Hot Glue
    Seriously - very little to burn. But I understand a person panicking - where there is smoke...............you know.

I'm still curious about the one battery, unless it just melted the wrap.
    None of the others exhibited this battery issue.(that I've seen)

Again - Not justifying CRAP
    Cloupor Needs to take care of every customer and validate the WHAT and WHY of this issue so the rest can have theirs replaced or rest easy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread