Status
Not open for further replies.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I read it on PBusardo's site the day it was posted. I don't trust GM or any other companies sales numbers, especially their failure numbers. Failures and recalls cost money and loss of profits. Keep in mind some of the reported failures by users happened after various time periods, some sooner, some much later. So there is a real potential that any failure figures could grow, but only Clouper knows these numbers. And since I have not seen any Clouper posted info on actual serial numbers that were deemed defective, that alone is less then satisfying to me in terms of manufacturing accountability. And while I might not believe companies "figures", I would assume GM might be slightly more accountable then Clouper. Folks keep saying serial numbers "002", etc. point me to a post by Clouper that lists serial numbers. What they did post was how to test your unit, and if one wants to report user board posts, there were several that said theirs passed the long firing test, but then later had a melt down. What I did see with my own eyes was my friends Clouper Mini 30, with the plastic melted not under the inner label, but higher up near where the pin would be underneath. No fire, looked like heat was slowly melting it, and I made him perform the Clouper test the day after he bought it, and it passed that "test". I returned mine to WOV, before I had any issues. They emailed me, sent a link to print out a pre-paid USPS label, good customer service in my eyes.

MY OPINION: "Risk versus reward". While I liked the unit, small size, replaceable battery, a $35.00 device (we all know it's real value is much less then it's selling price), was not worth the risk, no matter how many or few melted. There is no one on this board or on the Internet that can guarantee there is no chance of a fire. And yes I realize there are no guarantees of any of our electronic devices not going bad and potentially causeing a fire. But I certainly would not tell others that they should have no concerns. Personally I would rather err on the side of caution, as there are other products I can use that work as well or better and hence my own decision to return it. Some may feel the odds are in their favor, I just don't see the point in betting on it. Phil was not impressed with Clouper's response for good reason, read it again.

And FWIW, I woke up one night, not sure what woke me, but I thought I was in a dream, as I found myself looking down at the X10 remote module my air conditioner was plugged into, glowing red, as I watched it, a small flame started to come out of it. I felt frozen as I was still more then half asleep, then jumped up and knocked it out of the wall outlet, and stomped out the burning plastic. If I did not wake up there is a real good chance the wall would have caught fire. I did a lot of google searching and could not find one report of an X10 remote catching fire. Maybe I'm the only person in the world that this happened to, but there was no more "reward" in using these devices, only risk, and I removed the other 6 I had. And as an electrician the appliance module was rated for more then the current draw of the AC unit it was connected to.
For the record I'm not a fanboy of any company, I recommed what works for me, after researching and personal use, if there are any safety issues I would not recommend a product no matter who makes it, or how small the risk may appear to be. I never heard of Clouper before, and have no ill will toward them, but I will not be giving them a 2nd chance, same as X10 remotes. There are many other choices out there, and if I hear or read of any istick Minis melting, I'll toss mine in 1 second, just another $35 bucks, no big deal. I certainly hope nothing bad ever happens to my fellow vapors, be SAFE!

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Please You have no clue !! The mini has nearly 1 million units sold. And only a handful were bad. NO BODY was or will never be hurt since the unit is in a metal box. Do us a favor and DON' T buy one . I will however stop defending the mini when I find something better. How could you think a finger would be blown off ? Is there gun power or firecrackers inside ???

An 18650 battery is like a pipe bomb. Look at what happened at that vape blast in Texas. A guy had a battery vent. It blew his mod into shrapnel and put HOLES in the freaking ceiling. It looked like the unabomber had paid the place a visit. Then that guy recently in Cali. His mech mod was torn to shreds and he had some pretty serious injuries on his hands. Indeed, mech mod accidents aren't all that uncommon. It's a dangerous game, pushing these batteries to 40, 50, 60 amps no matter how smart you think you are.

Point is, this industry requires a lot of safety testing because of the volatile nature of Lithium batteries. Regulated mods are supposed to protect us from most of this stuff, but when I hear stories of batches of them catching fire, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the QC of said company. Keep in mind this wasn't a 1 in 10,000 incident like you hear with some car defects, but affected entire batches.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
I also have a 0002 unit that's been in daily use for going on three months now, running sub-ohm builds exclusively, I'm a chain vaper, and the Mini is going through at least two batteries worth of charge daily.

The only, and I mean only problems I have with it (other than initial battery door fitment issues) is that press-fitting of the 510 connector got a little loose after literally hundreds of atty swaps (fixed with hot glue for now), and the silver finish finally starting showing a lot of wear, after a couple months of looking relatively decent despite pocket abuse. And even that I can live with, considering the fact that most days, it's practically an extension of my left hand.

SS stingray

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
Port Charlotte. Florida
I also have a 0002 unit that's been in daily use for going on three months now, running sub-ohm builds exclusively, I'm a chain vaper, and the Mini is going through at least two batteries worth of charge daily.

The only, and I mean only problems I have with it (other than initial battery door fitment issues) is that press-fitting of the 510 connector got a little loose after literally hundreds of atty swaps

Now Croak don't forget the broken toe issue . We were about to issue a warring about having steel toe shoes for vaping .:facepalm:

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
  • Deleted by Technonut
  • Reason: Cleaning Up...

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
Edited by ECF Moderator...

I never had anything catch on fire.
Been vaping for 5 years now.

Edited by ECF Moderator.. Please cut it out..

Also, you keep saying a small number of devices have had this happen.
There should be None having this issue Period.

As pbusardo said, No devices should be melting, they should be protecting the user.
And he considers this device a ( Use at your own Risk) piece.
In other words.
Perhaps a pack of cigs ain't so bad after all, compared to house engulfed in flames.
--------
Vaping manufacturers need to adhere to a good level of quality control on these items, especially given the level of scrutiny that vaping is under. Failure to do so could damage the entire industry.

How can you not get that? Quit defending this device, like it's a family member or something.

Professorvapes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z31vAgU1R1Y

Last edited by a moderator:

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
  • Deleted by Technonut
  • Reason: Cleaning Up..

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
  • Deleted by Technonut
  • Reason: Disruption...

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
SN: 0008xxxxx
image.jpg
A little hard to see, but looks like the heat near the the positive connector is deforming the plastic directly above it, note the shiny glean and curvature. My friend uses an Atlantis .5 ohm between 25-30 watts, within its stated specs. One can assume over time this would only get worse. He is returning it and is now happy with his iStick 50w. Make of it, what you will.

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
SN: 0008xxxxx
View attachment 422949
A little hard to see, but looks like the heat near the the positive connector is deforming the plastic directly above it, note the shiny glean and curvature. My friend uses an Atlantis .5 ohm between 25-30 watts, within its stated specs. One can assume over time this would only get worse. He is returning it and is now happy with his iStick 50w. Make of it, what you will.

That isn't melted from the positive connector, that is a black glue used to keep the connector in place. Mine has it as well and it has been flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread