CNBC No Smoking In Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL
I can't beleive I am hearing this, they want to ban our military from smoking! They are protecting our freedom and they are trying to take away their freedom to smoke. All they need is a soldier with nicotine fits. How far are we going to let these guys go?:-x
WOW. I can see the drill Sargent telling his crew, 10 days in the Brig if you are caught with a Marlboro. What A crock. The Nam guys must be laughing about this one. The use to smoke the other stuff in the service.

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
I was the last cycle of basic training that was allowed to smoke. Those that were coming after me were not going to be allowed to smoke during training.. that was 85.. Honestly don't think if they asking no one in the military to smoke, don't think they could truly enforce it..
Sure they could. They could add nicotine to the substances they test for. If they can stop em from smoking pot they can stop em from smoking tobacco.

WorM

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2009
Alabama, United States
that would be absolutely insane...
these guys are fighting for our freedom and theirs...
and they want to take away some of that freedom???

not only that if the soldier wants to smoke a cig before heading into a danger zone let him! unfortunately it could very well be his last...

let him enjoy whatever gives him anykind of pleasure while not at home, not being with his family, while not having many comforts.

i hate our government!
i love our military, but f*** the government.

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
Sure they could. They could add nicotine to the substances they test for. If they can stop em from smoking pot they can stop em from smoking tobacco.

Your joking right... ???? All the military has ever done about drugs in the military is raise the amount you can have in your system before a test reads positive,, so it doesn't pop as many soldiers.. That and everyone knowing there is a test coming up..... I'ts a numbers game (no numbers,, oh there isn't a drug problem in the military lol ))

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Its no joke Ban on tobacco urged in military - USATODAY.com
yeah here catch a bullet but cigs are bad for you.

There's no chance in hell that this will ever happen. Look at the proposal. They want to phase it in over as many as 20 years. With a horizon that far in the future, the obvious conclusion is that this is just hot air. Bean counters are concerned about health care costs and lost productivity. That's their job. Implementing a policy that goes so directly to the hart of the military culture simply isn't realistic.

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
taking away our rights even being in the military is against what this country stands for. I believe what they are doing is wrong. The stress in the military can be very intense and if they take away there smoke there looking a lot of fights and a lot of our arm forces will pop hot on a piss test. You cant just tell them they have to quit and expected them to. I know a lot of the infantry guys smoke b/c of stress. I know guess who came in and never smoked a cig in there life and started because of stress.

Moved On
May 10, 2009
Pacific NW
Many employers won't let you smoke while on the clock. The military is an employer where the employees are basically on the clock 24/7.

This is true. In fact I was in the military recently (2003) and they CAN tell you already not to smoke, it's called disobeying a direct order. Also being on the clock 24/7 I calculated hourly rate of pay, it came out to $3.40 as an E5 sgt. in the army. I joined at 17 years old, just wanted to fight, boy did I get what I asked for.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
taking away our rights even being in the military is against what this country stands for.

Except that you give up practically all your rights when you join. While serving you have no right to free speech, no right to public assembly... the list goes on. You get those rights back when your duty is completed, but realistically, joining the military already involves giving up a whole range of rights that you enjoy as a private citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread