CNN to discuss E-cigs in the next hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
where the problem occurs is the media tends to see something and just call out the standard "run with the story".. dr gupta admitted that he knew little about ecigs.. i read into it that he seemed actually interested in the concept.. the lack of knowledge blame is firmly placed on cnn..

as far as the daffy duck in office?.... i believe the law states he couldn't run for a 3rd term and that's why he's back in Texas :p

Hummm, I was never a big Bush the 2nd fan but I'm definitely not an ultra liberal, either. When you realize what a President's #1 responsiblity is and the only area where he has unfettered power, this current administration just scares the hell out of me.

taukimada

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Tullahoma, Tn
www.youtube.com

Hummm, I was never a big Bush the 2nd fan but I'm definitely not an ultra liberal, either. When you realize what a President's #1 responsiblity is and the only area where he has unfettered power, this current administration just scares the hell out of me.

good luck with the politics :evil:

taukimada

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Tullahoma, Tn
www.youtube.com
WTF is with the politics, suddenly? If you want to play that game, I happen to very much like the current administration. Of course, I'm not seeing the relevance to e-cig discussions, but if you have a problem with Obama and want to bring that discussion here instead of talking about e-cigs, I'm outta here.

i apologize caywen... my jab was simply for humorous effect and was in no way intended to start a political debate

Oceaneco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Santa Fe, NM
i had posted the vid in a thread i started at almost the exact same time as this one... :)

either way... the overall content of both the story and the video was actually rather positive... in the story itself you see an admittance by the FDA and WHO that other than the testing factor.. ecigs COULD be helpful.. it's not going to get ANY more positive than that until the tests are done conclusively for them..

i like gupta... always have.. he's a realist.. doesn't usually go for the hype that cnn seem to have turned too lately.. he was openly honest in his opinion that the ecig MAY be more healthy than analogs.. but he wasn't going to jump the gun without testing and say they ARE.. i even liked the fact that the correspondant seemd VERY receptive to ecigs.. even though she is a "never-smoker"..

it's easy to pick at the things that weren't said... but sadly.. this is the best we're going to get until companies step up to the plate and put some of the well earned cash we've sent them and get these tests done and into the proper hands.. it's in thier hands now...

again.. overall positive story... for once recently i can say "kudos" to cnn for not putting this story with the anchors who overreact to stories and place their own false opinionated claims and accusations into the "news"
I am right there with you on your comments about this CNN Report! I think getting the e-Cig out there with some possitive comments is a good thing. I think they could have put a little more thought into it, but what they said was some what possitive and an unbiased quick little ditty on e-Cigs.

caywen

Mar 4, 2009
It's all good!

I think the CNN report was pretty guarded, but definitely an attention getter. Gupta was pretty careful with his words, but he wasn't negative nor positive on the topic. I thought CNN did a good job with it.

I think that there has to be some sensible regulations put in place. Flavored nicotine liquid, for example - that's just asking for trouble if it's not restricted to 18+. Also, I think there has to be some quality control, just like we now check for lead paint in Chinese toys. I'd like to know I'm not going to keel over next month...

The CNN should report should get people talking, and I think the majority o people will have enough common sense to see the hypocrisy in banning these but not banning actual cigarettes.

"It's out there...and anything to help people to stop smoking because that's obviously the worst thing..."

I think this as a good piece with Dr. Gupta. I mean really, he's not going to jump up and down and say this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The impression I walked away with is that while we may not know if it's safe, it's got to be better than burning a real cigarette.

I think we should all contact him and thank him for a putting out a balanced piece. While we're at it, we should point out a few errors...like calling it smoke not vapor, and saying that no studies have been carried out on ecigs. There have been very few, but the few that have been done are encouraging. We need to send supportive comments to him, because we all know he's going to get a lot of hate mail from a lot of different people for not saying things will kill you with one puff.

We should also include some of our personal stories about quitting or reducing the numbers of cigarettes smoked. Who knows, if we send him enough positive comments, he may revisit the subject on his mail bag segment.

Remember that media relations is not just going after people who get it wrong, but also encouraging people who get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread