Coffee flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
1) No more concern than any of the other flavorings we use in our juices I think. The question is kind of subjective based on who answers it. Generally we dont know so we cant really say for sure. I havent encountered any overtly odd issues with using flavored coffees.

2) Yes, yes... and definitely yes. The same methods have been tried, tested and used for teas and herbs.

FunInAlaska

Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Alaska
So we made an extract from a flavored coffee that is a local roast here in Alaska and mixed up some juice from it. We tried the suggested 3% mix suggested in this thread but found that to be a bit weak but my wife LOVES the flavor of it. on Saturday we mixed up another batch of juice from the same extract bumping it up to 10% to try to get more the right flavor strength. I think I may have not let the extract sit hot long enough and am going to make another batch of the extract soon. I am also going to try a batch of my personal favorite roast which is Sumatra French Roast :) Love those dark roasts.

I think this new method of getting coffee flavor will be my new obsession and once we start on teas I think I am in trouble as my wife has some 50 different teas o_O

Hossam

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
cairo
Jeapa, I am guessing about the citric acid as a preservative. I use it at 1 or 2% in all my DIY to bring out flavor; really works for me.

Please... Do you mean by citric acid a lemon juice? And what flavors it will bring it out. I read it is good for fruit flavors but do you think it is also good for coffee. Sorry I'm newbie but I'm trying hard to do good DIY juice.

rockymtnrobin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Colorado
So we made an extract from a flavored coffee that is a local roast here in Alaska and mixed up some juice from it. We tried the suggested 3% mix suggested in this thread but found that to be a bit weak but my wife LOVES the flavor of it. on Saturday we mixed up another batch of juice from the same extract bumping it up to 10% to try to get more the right flavor strength. I think I may have not let the extract sit hot long enough and am going to make another batch of the extract soon. I am also going to try a batch of my personal favorite roast which is Sumatra French Roast :) Love those dark roasts.

I think this new method of getting coffee flavor will be my new obsession and once we start on teas I think I am in trouble as my wife has some 50 different teas o_O
I did Starbucks Sumatra fresh ground in PG. Can't tell any different from my morning coffee! It's great!

Whiplash

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Idaho
Please... Do you mean by citric acid a lemon juice? And what flavors it will bring it out. I read it is good for fruit flavors but do you think it is also good for coffee. Sorry I'm newbie but I'm trying hard to do good DIY juice.

Yes, Citric Acid. I started experimenting with it after noticing that it is in the list of ingredients for Blucigs juice made by Johnson Creek. Hard to describe exactly what it does for the flavor. It seems cleaner, clearer, sharper.
I work with a 20% solution (1/4 tsp Citric Acid powder dissolved in 10ml PGA) to make it easier. My target is less than 0.5%. So, 2% of the 20% solution works. If you go over 2% it gets a little rough on the throat.

Forgot to mention: Steeping! Don't expect instant gratification. To evaluate the flavor, let it set for at least ten days. (or use the ultrasonic method)

Last edited:

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
I did my first coffee extraction last night and tried it out tonight and WOW! I've finally got a coffee flavor juice that has the chance to be my ADV! I've just mixed it with another liquid, (Yaeliq snickers/vanilla) and it is awesome! I've got Bavarian Cream and caramel here and just waiting on some Ethyl Maltol that should be here on Tuesday.

I followed the original instructions with the exception that I allowed it to steep for an hour before I strained it. When I strained it I used a cone coffee filter and suspended it in a pyrex cup with a chip clip and put the cup in a pot of hot water to ensure as much of the PV would filter as possible. It smelled kinda weak but dripping it was WAY too strong so I mixed it in with my normal drip juice at about 10% and BAM! Gotta love it! Next up are some flavored coffees and herbal teas.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread, wouldn't be enjoying my vaping as much right now without it.

Reactions: kross8

Necrosis

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Decided to give this a shot. I'm a coffee roaster with commercial espresso gear, so I cringed my way through this thread at people buying grocery store shelf coffee. But coffee snobbery aside, I have been roasting my own blend of 75% brazil yellow icatu and 25% sumatra blue batak, so ground some out of my k30 vario at an espresso grind, did the 30ml half filled, 10sec nuke, top off, hot bath, etc and am currently straining it through a coffee filter.

I'm curious to taste the end results. My concern is the grind of the coffee, people buying pre-ground coffee or grinding their own at home have a drip brew grind and not a fine espresso grind. Hopefully following all the same steps in extraction wont cause an over extraction (I rather under extract then over extract coffee). Perhaps an espresso grind on my commercial grinder, producing extremely uniform grounds, will make for a more predictable and consistent result since there wont be large and small particles to under/over extract, we'll see.

Eager to see what kind of juice mixes come out of this. Besides trying it on it's own, I wanna try the 3% coffee with the 1% bavarian cream/caramel I saw mentioned early in the thread, and perhaps a batch using tfa sweet cream at some ratio, wonder if my tfa malted milk would be of use. Any other recipes with this stuff that might be killer? I only have a billion different TFA flavors lying around in a box :p

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
Howdy Necrosis, my first extraction that I posted about above was home ground. The other ones I did were store ground and not real fresh. For some reason the last two were rather weak so I searched for another method and found one.

Do the extraction as described here and simply repeat it by placing the filter in another cup and pouring the extract over the grinds again. Once you pour the extract over the grinds, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and let it filter for about 30 minutes, I nuked them again after about 20 minutes to help the last bit drain. Do that 3x for a nice dark flavorful extract. Also, I used about 1/4 cup of ground coffee and about the same amount of PG.

Courtesy of FranC, although this is slightly different than her method.

Necrosis

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Just an update, I haven't tried the method you mentioned since I was already finishing up the original method. Ended up with 15ml of flavoring. Mixed 3% into 50/50 pg/vg and after a hot bath ultrasonic session, couldn't really taste anything. Bumped it up to 6%, another hot bath/ultrasonic and I could taste some, repeated again for 9% which seemed just about there in strength, ended up at 10% in the end.

Not really digging it so far, it doesn't taste like my coffee if I brewed it or pulled an espresso with it, it tastes like coffee flavored candy which I hate (note: I avoid coffee flavored anything like a plague, probably the coffee snobbery at work). Didn't feel like mixing a second batch, so I just took that and added 2% of bavarian cream, caramel, and sweet cream respectively figuring I may as well try turning it into a dessert type juice and try covering up the coffee flavor. Day later, still not digging it; either needs time to age or I simply don't like coffee "flavor" vapor anymore than coffee flavored food. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I'm mainly a straight ristretto shot drinker and can't drink coffee if it's got any flavoring or sweetener added to it (though I do enjoy my cappuccinos/lattes that get sweetened by milk). Considering that vaping straight vg/pg is already sweet on it's own, not much that can be done.

For now this is going on the backburners, got other recipes to work on this week when my latest shipment arrives. I'll take the juice I made yesterday and guinea-pig my friends on thanksgiving and see what they think. They seem to enjoy my various flavor concoctions far more than I do.

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
There has got to be a way to make a variety of coffee extracts.

I did a caramel toffee one that smells divine but is too weak to mix. The last extract I did is strong enough to mix, but I haven't come up with a good recipe for it yet. I think I'm going to get some maple and try that out and maybe a few more chocolates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread