Status
Not open for further replies.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
new to this still, had a question.

Would it be effective (or possible) to use two independent strands of kanthal wire and make a micro coil with each strand of wire, and then seat it underneath the screws? Would that be a dual coil setup?? Or would a dual coil be one single strand of kanthal wire wrapped on two separate ends?

Both descriptions sound like dual coil setups. As long as both coils fire correctly and work in your setup. Some atomizers have dual negative posts specifically for dual coils which some use to create quad coils. I think using two separate strands would be the way to go though. Try it both ways though man rebuildables are all about innovation and experimentation

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
For any dual coil set up the resistance is half. This is assuming each coil is the ~ same resistance, and example would be two 1 ohm coils equal a total resistance (at the 510) of 0.50 ohms. Dual coil implies you're running coils in parallel, you can read up on series and parallel resistors if this is unclear as the rule applies. A coil is a resistor.

Nested coils or dual stranded is defiantly achievable. It is somewhat of an advanced build though.

Nested quad micro coils.

28awg Kanthal, 1/16th ID, 7 wraps. Total resistance 0.22 ohms.

If you are gonna attempt something like this make sure you have a mod and batteries that can handle the current draw. I suggest the Sony 30a vtc3's or vtc4's.

I've also done a nested build on a KF/KFL using the carto method. 1/16th fits perfectly in the air hole, usual do 7 or 8 wraps.

I think the over all advantage of a nested build is a low resistance while retaining a larger surface area. Produces thick dense flavorful vapor IMO.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
For any dual coil set up the resistance is half. This is assuming each coil is the ~ same resistance, and example would be two 1 ohm coils equal a total resistance (at the 510) of 0.50 ohms. Dual coil implies you're running coils in parallel, you can read up on series and parallel resistors if this is unclear as the rule applies. A coil is a resistor.

Nested coils or dual stranded is defiantly achievable. It is somewhat of an advanced build though.

Nested quad micro coils.

28awg Kanthal, 1/16th ID, 7 wraps. Total resistance 0.22 ohms.

If you are gonna attempt something like this make sure you have a mod and batteries that can handle the current draw. I suggest the Sony 30a vtc3's or vtc4's.

I've also done a nested build on a KF/KFL using the carto method. 1/16th fits perfectly in the air hole, usual do 7 or 8 wraps.

I think the over all advantage of a nested build is a low resistance while retaining a larger surface area. Produces thick dense flavorful vapor IMO.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it very much. I forgot that you take half the ohm measurement for each of the coils and cut it in half for total resistance.

I currently will be using an evic (I believe the minimum resistance on the evic is somewhere between 1.2-1.5, so I would need to build 3 ohm coils. Would this nested build work on my evic? And these are the batteries I currently have Samsung ICR18650 2600mAh Battery

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Any ICR battery should not be used in a mechanical, however they are pretty safe in a evic or any other regulated device.

Unfortunately until you graduate to a mech you're gonna be limited to single coil builds. Even if you have a DNA20 mod (which I have owned one) you're still limited to 20 watts and 7 amps. You may get it to fire but it's not optimal even for that chip set.

So, I would probably try the carto build on the KF with single wire.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
Any ICR battery should not be used in a mechanical, however they are pretty safe in a evic or any other regulated device.

Unfortunately until you graduate to a mech you're gonna be limited to single coil builds. Even if you have a DNA20 mod (which I have owned one) you're still limited to 20 watts and 7 amps. You may get it to fire but it's not optimal even for that chip set.

So, I would probably try the carto build on the KF with single wire.

Can you explain why dual coil builds will not work on my evic? Pardon my ignorance on the subject.

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
You simply don't have the power to push at both coils. What does the evic top out at, 15 watts (?).

So you'll be pushing ~ 7.5 watts at each ~ 3 ohm coil. It will be way more efficient to build a 14 to 16 wrap, 28awg kanthal micro coil (on 1/16th bit), which should ohm out to ~ 1.7 to 2.0 ohms, then push the full 15 watts at that single coil.

VV an VW are way different then mechs; remember with a mechanical you only get that what the batter has (~3.7v). On the evic you can crank it all the way up, where on a mech you have to sub ohm to hit 15 watts.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
You simply don't have the power to push at both coils. What does the evic top out at, 15 watts (?).

So you'll be pushing ~ 7.5 watts at each ~ 3 ohm coil. It will be way more efficient to build a 14 to 16 wrap, 28awg kanthal micro coil (on 1/16th bit), which should ohm out to ~ 1.7 to 2.0 ohms, then push the full 15 watts at that single coil.

VV an VW are way different then mechs; remember with a mechanical you only get that what the batter has (~3.7v). On the evic you can crank it all the way up, where on a mech you have to sub ohm to hit 15 watts.

this makes sense. thanks!

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Dual Coil Kayfun Setup
this guy is using dual coils on his evic. however his total resistance is .7, I thought the evic minimum resistance was like 1.2?

That guy doesn't even have proper coil placement. If you build a micro over the air hole you'll blow his build out of the water.

No problem man.

ConradM

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Boise ID

Why is that dual coil clearos handle vv/vw just fine?

ConradM

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Boise ID

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
One way to do a single coil duel wire is of course to just twist the wire, then wrap the coil. That works well and some folks prefer it, but I'd rather fold the wire in half and start wrapping the two wires side by side as if you were wrapping one wire. It makes for a longer coil that way but still works well, and worth a try to see which you like best.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
One way to do a single coil duel wire is of course to just twist the wire, then wrap the coil. That works well and some folks prefer it, but I'd rather fold the wire in half and start wrapping the two wires side by side as if you were wrapping one wire. It makes for a longer coil that way but still works well, and worth a try to see which you like best.

would the ohm properties be the same with this method as with a dual coil in parallel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread