coil build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Eh, try it. Btw,You will also notice how RiP takes massive hits off single coil build on his DNA20. But anyways, one test is worth a thousand expert options.

However, in my experience the more kanthal, call it "wire mass", you have the more current you need to get it to glow/vape. Typically in a dual setup you need a lot of wire to reach ~ 1.5ohm. Seems to me pushing all that power at one coil will, net-net, give you an as good or better vape.

Who knows, maybe you'll find a sweet spot to your liking. Maybe it would just be cool to vape on "duals". But one thing that is just a fact is dual, single, triple coil, all of that doesn't mean too much on a regulated device. What matters is optimizing your build to it's limitations. On a regulated device you have a certain ban to play in, like (?) 5 - 15 watts, plus the amp limit.

Let me ask you this, with the evic set to 15 watts, if you had a dual coil set up that was (2x) 6 wraps, so 12 wraps total, would it vape any different then a 12 wrap single coil on a KF (where the air flow is exactly the same for both) ?

We use duals to lower the resistance on a mech so we can get a sub ohm or SLR build and achieve 20+, 40+, I've even built stuff that was theoretically drawing 80+ watts, but if you have a watt limiting device the more coils you through in there the more legs or leads you will have, which don't produce any vapor, and the more voltage drop your build will have.

Just my :2c:, try it.

Last edited:

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
I don't understand exactly what JD1 is saying but, if the coils are connected at one end and not to the posts it would be in series which is basically like one big coil. Also, a twisted wire coil is nothing like a dual coil. People do that to drop the resistance on a single coil even lower.

Twisted wire will drop the resistance typically by 2 gauges. Nested/dual stranded wire will half the resistance of the coil. But yeah, why are you guys concerned about dropping your build resistance if you'er using VV/VW?

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I prefer single coil to dual - just feels like the battery is working harder to get those two coils glowing than it is on a single, even when the single is nested or twisted. My preferred is drill-twisted 26 gauge. That will get you the resistance you want as well as the wick coverage while producing stellar vapor and flavor, and heating quickly.

However, I have yet to try this in my KFL+ because the missing ingredient is air flow. All the coil configurations we are talking about don't mean squat if you can't get enough air moving over them.

Even with the air flow control screw/post totally removed from my KFL+, the draw is still tight. This is going to limit your vapor production severely, and preempts going under .8 IMO. What I'm trying to say is, unless there's a way to drill out the air hole (is there?) there's no point in building a dual coil in there. And as has been mentioned, there's also no point if you're not on a mechanical mod with the right batteries.

ConradM

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Boise ID
I prefer single coil to dual - just feels like the battery is working harder to get those two coils glowing than it is on a single, even when the single is nested or twisted. My preferred is drill-twisted 26 gauge. That will get you the resistance you want as well as the wick coverage while producing stellar vapor and flavor, and heating quickly.

However, I have yet to try this in my KFL+ because the missing ingredient is air flow. All the coil configurations we are talking about don't mean squat if you can't get enough air moving over them.

Even with the air flow control screw/post totally removed from my KFL+, the draw is still tight. This is going to limit your vapor production severely, and preempts going under .8 IMO. What I'm trying to say is, unless there's a way to drill out the air hole (is there?) there's no point in building a dual coil in there. And as has been mentioned, there's also no point if you're not on a mechanical mod with the right batteries.

I've tried a handful of coils since getting my Mech saturday. I found that my 18350's struggled with twisted coils. Single coils heat up quick but I'm getting more flavor with dual micros.

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I would like to point out that in that .7 ohms KFL build that you linked the guy is using the evic as an ohm meter. If you look at the first and second pics, you'll see the mods are switched. He was firing that off a mech, not that evic. I have owned 2 evic's and they are limited at 1.2-1.3ohms. Because of that you would have to have twin 2.4-2.6 ohm coils. if you attempt that high of a resistance with 28 gauge you will have heating lag bad. If you are going to attempt something like that guy did, you need smaller wire than he used. I would suggest 32 gauge, but you might get 30 gauge to work. :vapor:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread