My first solo coil build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
After my first 48 hours here I received more open arm welcomes than I ever have anywhere n my life and thank u all from the bottom of my heart. I’m here with y’all for life lol. Ok so I watched tons of videos and reviewed all the wonderful advice from u all several times over and decided to go with 9 wraps with my 24A1/32A1 Clapton wire and the result is a dual coil setup that runs at .45 ohms. I started priming it at 70 Watts and when I reached 150 Watts I realized I would never actually vape that high anyways so I finally set it to 105 Watts. 2 hours I spent to carefully prime the cotton and I got absolutely no burnt hits. My first build is better tasting than any prebuilt I’ve had n my life to date. I just wanted to share my first experience with the people that made it possible for me. I love u all already and thank u for helping achieve my goal of safe and successful coil builds ❣️❣️❣️❣️❣️

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Awesome! Nothing succeeds like sucess. At .45ohms, ya might wanna back the wattage down to 70 or 80ish. Youll still get a good vape and it will give you a little better battery life. 100+ watts will draw your batteries down pretty quick. But congratulations on your first build. I bet it wasnt as hard as you thought it would be, huh? Just remember to change the wicks out at the first sign of tasting bad, dry fire the coils to burn off the crud and rewick with fresh cotton. Youll be amazed how long the coils will last with proper maintenance. Vape on!!

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
Awesome! Nothing succeeds like sucess. At .45ohms, ya might wanna back the wattage down to 70 or 80ish. Youll still get a good vape and it will give you a little better battery life. 100+ watts will draw your batteries down pretty quick. But congratulations on your first build. I bet it wasnt as hard as you thought it would be, huh? Just remember to change the wicks out at the first sign of tasting bad, dry fire the coils to burn off the crud and rewick with fresh cotton. Youll be amazed how long the coils will last with proper maintenance. Vape on!!
Thank you my friend. Yea I definitely noticed the batteries dropped drastically lol. So far I’ve gotten 110 hits on this set,which I put these in fresh when I moved tank from my tester to my mod for its debut run lol. I’m down to 40-50% power left which is still a lot better than I thought it would b after that many 100+ watt hits. Every single hit is still a shock as to how much more flavor I’m getting than ever before. I guess that’s the NOOB n me lmao. If Kanthal can do this.....I can’t wait til I get quick and consistent enough to try other metal types. You’re 110% right bout the difficulty being less than I thought. I believe my fear was making it harder to do than it actually was. The thing I struggled the most with was after I got them tightened into the deck. That final tweak to get them to glow the same was kinda aggravating lol. It was well worth the time it took to learn it through.......thank u for ur info and patience to help me learn the process my friend

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It has now been a number of years, but I well remember my first successful coil build. Eureka! It works! The sheer joy of it was indescribable, and particularly so in my case as this is so long ago there was then no way to get more than 15 watts of power out of a regulated mod, or on a prebuilt coil of any type. If you wanted more-- I needed more-- you had to go mechanical mods and become a coil builder. That coil convinced me I could quit smoking with a vape mod and was, therefore, a life saver. Enjoy, my friend, and many happy returns.

(As an aside, I will echo @Coyote628 's advice. The mod in my hand has a .45Ω built dualie set and the mod is set for 32 watts. I don't normally vape a lot higher than that, but even if I did I wouldn't take that coil much above 60ish watts. The issue is radiated power from the coil surface, usually called milliwatts per millimeter squared [mW/mm2]. As power increases for any given coil value, each square millimeter of coil surface radiates more power into the juiced-soaked wick [or wastes it into the atmosphere]. Many juices are particular about how much power they like in that regime. Too little can fail to vaporize some of the denser flavor molecules; too much can flash them away and you can't taste them. This is much more noticeable in juices with complex flavor profiles, particularly those with tiny "grace notes" hidden inside to enhance certain parts of the flavor; and less so with simpler one-flavor juices. Play around with the settings some, see where the flavor is best. If you find the best flavor setting doesn't product the volume and temperature of the vape you want all it means is you need a different coil, to duplicate the radiated power at the wattage you desire.)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Congratulations on your first build!

I'll 3rd @Coyote628 's advice..

My son vapes at 100 watts but keeping enough batteries charged to get through a day for him is very difficult...

Backing off the watts is preferable if you can and still stay off the smokes.... better for juice consumption as well as batteries.

Less power = lower ejuice consumption

Good luck to you.. I'm sure if your vaping at those wattages that someone's already given you the links to @Mooch 's YouTube channel as well as his blog here on ECF?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Congrats on conquering coil building! And welcome to ECF. I can vividly remember my very first coil, and it was over 7 years ago. I can’t even count how many coils I’ve wrapped since then. I’ve never used a pre-wrapped coil since. Flavor, flavor, flavor.

JanTee

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Congrats! I admire you, what a brilliant first go at it! I understand how empowering and enjoyable coil building can be. I agree with you nothing tastes better then a self made coil. I don't have the patience or talent to build much, I have very poor vision, but when I do I consider my kayfun or berserker to be a real treat and pull out my premium fancy pants juices and usually cook up some lobster or the like and a nice bottle of vino! I usually 'cheat' with a coil master but it's mounting and wicking that I find requires much patience.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Congrats! How well I remember my first coilbuild, LOL. It was fantastic.

Then came... wicking. LOL, I built my first real dripper and it was a dual coil but I went with a single coil and I kept insisting it would leak.... I mean, there was this GAPING airhole just open. It didn't. LOL, I'm kinda glad I started with RTAs, but man... Wicking.

Congrats to you that is fantastic! Well done, and the more you do it the easier it gets (usually) so congrats on your first one.

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Congrats Jonathan :thumbs:

I'm 5 months into vaping and built my first coil in an rta a couple of weeks ago.

I agree on how much better the flavour is and how awesome it is using your first build successfully. My trouble is I keep wanting to practise - I've now rebuilt this same RTA at least 6 times ;)

• Winner
    Reactions: Letitia
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread