Coil Diameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyofskittles

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Norflk, VA
Before I go off wasting a bunch of supplies does anyone know if the diameter of you coil can change throat hit, flavor, and vapor? Example.. does a 1.5 ohm coil wrapped on a 1mm drill bit perform the same as a cl1.5 ohm coil wrapped on a 3mm (hypothetically speaking) drill bit??

-Sent from outer space using DNA20 and kayfun Lite

Snapdragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Great question. I just received a KFL+ today and was planning to micro-coil it using the same threaded screw for wrapping as I aways do for RDAs. Its fairly small and I've wondered if a larger one with the capacity for a bit more cotton might make a positive difference.

Hope someone(s) will share their experiences/results/conclusions.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
from my limited experience on this subject i can say i dont think it makes much difference. I have tried small and large coils in my dripping attys and i dont see a noticeable difference. Logically i would think that the only difference would be from a very small to medium coil because of the amount of wick inbetween. the coils i make wrapped around 5/64 and 3/32 diameter nails dont seem to have any difference between the vape quality or quantity. That being said, there is a difference between spacing your coils evenly and tightly wrapped microcoils. I have found microcoils are way better for vapor and flavor. I am curious to see other's opinions on this subject though. Good thread.

armyofskittles

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Norflk, VA
I feel like having a smaller diameter coil would perform better because there's more surface area for the coils to produce vapor but with that you can't use as much wick so you wouldn't get as rapid wicking as a slightly bigger coil. But I'm fishing for more opinions :)

-Sent from outer space using DNA20 and Kayfun Lite

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
seems to me that 1.5 ohm large coil and 1.5 ohm small coil would have the same surface area. The only difference being the amount of wick in the middle of the coil. Same length of kanthal = same surface area assuming the wick is touching the coil throughout. But like you i am anxious to hear other opinions

Last edited:

DexO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
Springfield, MO
Go to Ace Hardware and get a #6, #8 and a #10 machine screw. Wrap your coils around their threads and experiment. The screws will cost maybe a $1 for all 3. Get an Ohm meter like THIS one to check out your coils. Kanathal wire is is like $1.50 for 3 feet so experiment. I ordered the 28, 30 and 32 gauge. I also got this to see the coils because the threads are tiny.

That is $15 well spent and when you report back, others will learn from your experiments!

armyofskittles

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Norflk, VA
seems to me that 1.5 ohm large coil and 1.5 ohm small coil would have the same surface area. The only difference being the amount of wick in the middle of the coil. Same length of kanthal = same surface area assuming the wick is touching the coil throughout. But like you i am anxious to hear other opinions

I know they technically have thensame surface area, but you're getting more length wise surface with a small coil which makes me think there could be a difference

-Sent from outer space using DNA20 and Kayfun Lite

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Go to Ace Hardware and get a #6, #8 and a #10 machine screw. Wrap your coils around their threads and experiment. The screws will cost maybe a $1 for all 3. Get an Ohm meter like THIS one to check out your coils. Kanathal wire is is like $1.50 for 3 feet so experiment. I ordered the 28, 30 and 32 gauge. I also got this to see the coils because the threads are tiny.

That is $15 well spent and when you report back, others will learn from your experiments!

Check this out. $4 for 100ft. of kanthal shipped. This is where i get mine. Lot cheaper and the exact same stuff that they sell you for $1.50 for 3 feet. They have all different sizes too.

http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/products/Resistance_Wire/RW0097.html

DexO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
Springfield, MO

armyofskittles

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Norflk, VA
Status
Not open for further replies.