The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Coil Question.

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by hell_storm2004, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. hell_storm2004

hell_storm2004 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    Hello All,

Just had a question, how long do coils last for you guys? Most of mine go kaput after two weeks. Just wanted to know if i am doing something wrong, or is it just normal? The Smok TFV8 one was my fault, i know. sucked it dry. With the clear liquid didn't realize the tank was empty.

• Like Like x 2
  2. john1211

john1211 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2013
    Troy, NY
    Depends on liquid, wattage you use and MLS per day

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Two weeks seems entirely reasonable. I haven't used pre-made coils in years, but back when I did, I was lucky to get a week. With my own coils, I generally get at least two weeks, and sometimes as many as four before needing to clean the coil and replace the wick, but that's with unflavored juice (just PG, VG, and nicotine).

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Using rayon, water, VG and Nicotine in VG - no flavors my coils are two to three weeks, I usually end up cleaning or building them because I just want to.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I typically get about 4 weeks use with my original Crown coils.

I firmly believe you should thoroughly "prime" the coil; just a few drops on the cotton isn't enough.

I also believe you should "break in" each new coil by using a lower than usual wattage for the first half of the tank.

The below video is for the original Crown tank, but the principles used are appropriate for any tank:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. IgnorantCig

IgnorantCig Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2015
    new york
    2 weeks is not bad at all. That's actually pretty good I'd say, for a manufacturer's coil.

For me it varies, but I'd say that it's usually anywhere from about 1 week to 2 weeks, depending on the juice and type of coil that I'm using. I happen to like the heavy VG, sweet desert type juices, and that makes coils last shorter. So be it.

I switch coils as soon as I notice that the taste and flavor is not as good as before.

I don't bother with building my own coils, I order original coils usually from fast tech and mine cost around $3 each, so it's not exactly a huge expense per month.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    It makes more sense to measure coil "life" by amount of juice vaporized than elapsed time.

I have a Subtank coil that has lasted since Christmas but I might use that tank once every two weeks. But if I put a 30ml bottle of MBV Banana Nut Bread through it...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. IgnorantCig

IgnorantCig Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2015
    new york
    True, I agree. If two people have the same identical set up, and they are using the same coils, and vaping the same juice and if one guy vapes 5 ml per day, and the other guy vapes 10 ml per day, then the first guy's coils are going to last for twice as long as the second guy's coils.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Yep, it's mls and not time. It's also the type of juice, some are just known coil killers. But honestly, 2 weeks is not bad unless you are vaping 1 ml per day or something (which I highly doubt) so congrats.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  10. ilporcupine

ilporcupine Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    For former smokers, just think of it as Bic lighters, or lighter fluid. It's just a consumable expense in service of the actual desired outcome...your nicotine and flavor fix. And staying off of the 'stinkies'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. hell_storm2004

hell_storm2004 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    Not sure how many ml of juice I suck in two weeks. Never really paid much attention to it. But it should be decent amount. I think I will stock up on coils.

Normally I am around 48-55W. There is a 80% VG one which I can't even do more than 30W. Any higher, and I start choking.

The Smok one runs through 5 ml or more a day. It is a liquid guzzler .

On pre-made coils, can I change the wick? Or they are just one time use stuff?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ilporcupine

Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    People have rebuilt/rewicked almost everything. Some are not worth the effort. Search in the threads for specific brand and model. Probably someone has done it, if they can get it open!
    I can do 5 ml in a couple hours, and I'm at 11-12 watts maximum on MTL(Siren2)!
    I tend to chain vape...:)
    That's why I used to smoke 3 pak/day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    I mostly concur, but with a caveat:

It would hardly be fair to compare the number of milliliters a person can vape through one of the crazy high-powered, multi-coil heads that have gotten popular of late with the number of milliliters another person gets through from, say, a Nautilus coil.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ilporcupine

Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    I would think the relationship still holds. From what I see, they gunk 'em up as fast as they make clouds, no? Maybe some kind of 'self cleaning oven' effect to higher wattages, though!!:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    My thought with that is: If you have multiple coils in a coil head (or even in an RBA), each coil only sees a proportional fraction of the total juice consumed. So a dual-coil setup should be able to go through twice the volume of juice before it gets unacceptably gunky as a single coil.

Of course there are probably other factors at play too. The surface area of each coil. The heat flux that the coil is run at. The mass of each coil (heat retention after one stops applying power). But I think the number of coils should take precedence over these.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ilporcupine

Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    NVRMind. Not relevant.My bad. I got off the path.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    2 weeks out of a smok coil is awesome mileage. A week and a half i start to get flavor change which is a great time to put in a new one but i vape a lot. If i dont have a spare on hand and payday is still a few days off, ill hardheadedly continue using the old one. After giving this subject a fair amount of thought and observation, its the cotton in these coils that goes bad. Same as in a rebuildable. In rebuildables, we remove the spent wicking, dry burn the coils clean and put in clean wick. With that thought in mind, and i mentioned this in another post, i researched a bit and found it might be possible to re wick and even re coil a smok coil head. It looked tedious and on the smaller coil models, probably mind numbing, but possible. Im using the tfv12 and these coils are considerably larger so im going to attempt to rebuild one. Ill report on my efforts, for sure. But back to main topic, sorry i get carried away at times, coil life depends on several things and 2 weeks is a good go for one regardless of the different factors involved. Whew, im done typin....lol.

• Like Like x 4
  18. ilporcupine

Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    I remember watching old youtube video of people figuring out how to rewick or re-coil premades, and I decided on a RTA/RDA strategy.
    These big shaky hands and bad eyes of mine make tiny work a frustration.
    But for someone with the patience and motor skill, there is probably money to be saved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ilporcupine

Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    Do the multi coil premade heads cost double?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    No, not double. I think the six hole, 12 coil things cost a tiny bit more but not much. But i dont like those. The use up a battery faster and they can get fairly hot pretty quick if you chain vape even 3 or 4 hits. But holy moly can those things chuck a cloud. But thats on the tfv12. Coils for the tfv8 are all the same price.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.