Coil Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Hello All,

Just had a question, how long do coils last for you guys? Most of mine go kaput after two weeks. Just wanted to know if i am doing something wrong, or is it just normal? The smok TFV8 one was my fault, i know. sucked it dry. With the clear liquid didn't realize the tank was empty.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Two weeks seems entirely reasonable. I haven't used pre-made coils in years, but back when I did, I was lucky to get a week. With my own coils, I generally get at least two weeks, and sometimes as many as four before needing to clean the coil and replace the wick, but that's with unflavored juice (just PG, VG, and nicotine).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I typically get about 4 weeks use with my original Crown coils.

I firmly believe you should thoroughly "prime" the coil; just a few drops on the cotton isn't enough.

I also believe you should "break in" each new coil by using a lower than usual wattage for the first half of the tank.

The below video is for the original Crown tank, but the principles used are appropriate for any tank:

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
2 weeks is not bad at all. That's actually pretty good I'd say, for a manufacturer's coil.

For me it varies, but I'd say that it's usually anywhere from about 1 week to 2 weeks, depending on the juice and type of coil that I'm using. I happen to like the heavy VG, sweet desert type juices, and that makes coils last shorter. So be it.

I switch coils as soon as I notice that the taste and flavor is not as good as before.

I don't bother with building my own coils, I order original coils usually from fast tech and mine cost around $3 each, so it's not exactly a huge expense per month.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
It makes more sense to measure coil "life" by amount of juice vaporized than elapsed time.

I have a Subtank coil that has lasted since Christmas but I might use that tank once every two weeks. But if I put a 30ml bottle of MBV Banana Nut Bread through it...

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
It makes more sense to measure coil "life" by amount of juice vaporized than elapsed time.

True, I agree. If two people have the same identical set up, and they are using the same coils, and vaping the same juice and if one guy vapes 5 ml per day, and the other guy vapes 10 ml per day, then the first guy's coils are going to last for twice as long as the second guy's coils.

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Not sure how many ml of juice I suck in two weeks. Never really paid much attention to it. But it should be decent amount. I think I will stock up on coils.

Normally I am around 48-55W. There is a 80% VG one which I can't even do more than 30W. Any higher, and I start choking.

The Smok one runs through 5 ml or more a day. It is a liquid guzzler .

On pre-made coils, can I change the wick? Or they are just one time use stuff?

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
People have rebuilt/rewicked almost everything. Some are not worth the effort. Search in the threads for specific brand and model. Probably someone has done it, if they can get it open!
I can do 5 ml in a couple hours, and I'm at 11-12 watts maximum on MTL(Siren2)!
I tend to chain vape...:)
That's why I used to smoke 3 pak/day.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yep, it's mls and not time.

I mostly concur, but with a caveat:

It would hardly be fair to compare the number of milliliters a person can vape through one of the crazy high-powered, multi-coil heads that have gotten popular of late with the number of milliliters another person gets through from, say, a Nautilus coil.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I mostly concur, but with a caveat:

It would hardly be fair to compare the number of milliliters a person can vape through one of the crazy high-powered, multi-coil heads that have gotten popular of late with the number of milliliters another person gets through from, say, a Nautilus coil.
I would think the relationship still holds. From what I see, they gunk 'em up as fast as they make clouds, no? Maybe some kind of 'self cleaning oven' effect to higher wattages, though!!:D

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I would think the relationship still holds. From what I see, they gunk 'em up as fast as they make clouds, no? Maybe some kind of 'self cleaning oven' effect to higher wattages, though!!:D
My thought with that is: If you have multiple coils in a coil head (or even in an RBA), each coil only sees a proportional fraction of the total juice consumed. So a dual-coil setup should be able to go through twice the volume of juice before it gets unacceptably gunky as a single coil.

Of course there are probably other factors at play too. The surface area of each coil. The heat flux that the coil is run at. The mass of each coil (heat retention after one stops applying power). But I think the number of coils should take precedence over these.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
2 weeks out of a smok coil is awesome mileage. A week and a half i start to get flavor change which is a great time to put in a new one but i vape a lot. If i dont have a spare on hand and payday is still a few days off, ill hardheadedly continue using the old one. After giving this subject a fair amount of thought and observation, its the cotton in these coils that goes bad. Same as in a rebuildable. In rebuildables, we remove the spent wicking, dry burn the coils clean and put in clean wick. With that thought in mind, and i mentioned this in another post, i researched a bit and found it might be possible to re wick and even re coil a smok coil head. It looked tedious and on the smaller coil models, probably mind numbing, but possible. Im using the tfv12 and these coils are considerably larger so im going to attempt to rebuild one. Ill report on my efforts, for sure. But back to main topic, sorry i get carried away at times, coil life depends on several things and 2 weeks is a good go for one regardless of the different factors involved. Whew, im done typin....lol.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
2 weeks out of a smok coil is awesome mileage. A week and a half i start to get flavor change which is a great time to put in a new one but i vape a lot. If i dont have a spare on hand and payday is still a few days off, ill hardheadedly continue using the old one. After giving this subject a fair amount of thought and observation, its the cotton in these coils that goes bad. Same as in a rebuildable. In rebuildables, we remove the spent wicking, dry burn the coils clean and put in clean wick. With that thought in mind, and i mentioned this in another post, i researched a bit and found it might be possible to re wick and even re coil a smok coil head. It looked tedious and on the smaller coil models, probably mind numbing, but possible. Im using the tfv12 and these coils are considerably larger so im going to attempt to rebuild one. Ill report on my efforts, for sure. But back to main topic, sorry i get carried away at times, coil life depends on several things and 2 weeks is a good go for one regardless of the different factors involved. Whew, im done typin....lol.
I remember watching old youtube video of people figuring out how to rewick or re-coil premades, and I decided on a RTA/RDA strategy.
These big shaky hands and bad eyes of mine make tiny work a frustration.
But for someone with the patience and motor skill, there is probably money to be saved.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
My thought with that is: If you have multiple coils in a coil head (or even in an RBA), each coil only sees a proportional fraction of the total juice consumed. So a dual-coil setup should be able to go through twice the volume of juice before it gets unacceptably gunky as a single coil.

Of course there are probably other factors at play too. The surface area of each coil. The heat flux that the coil is run at. The mass of each coil (heat retention after one stops applying power). But I think the number of coils should take precedence over these.
Do the multi coil premade heads cost double?

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Do the multi coil premade heads cost double?
No, not double. I think the six hole, 12 coil things cost a tiny bit more but not much. But i dont like those. The use up a battery faster and they can get fairly hot pretty quick if you chain vape even 3 or 4 hits. But holy moly can those things chuck a cloud. But thats on the tfv12. Coils for the tfv8 are all the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread