Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
cool pictures for sure.
now what is the point? we get build up on our
coils no mater what we use or how we use it.
the $64.00 dollar question is,how much transfers
to the juice if any? have any of these compounds
been found in vapor in comparable amounts?
still there good pictures.
regards
mike
All debris we see on the pictures came from juice. First step: gunk is accumulated on a coil; gunk = caramelized sugars + "caramelized" whatever else is in juice. Then - dry burining. It removes (burn out) most of organic component and about all of the carbon. What remains (what wee see as debris on picture) is what was in juice but was impossible to remove by burning. Sure, high temperature changes things, and what we see after looks rather like ceramics than gunk.

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
All debris we see on the pictures came from juice. First step: gunk is accumulated on a coil; gunk = caramelized sugars + "caramelized" whatever else is in juice. Then - dry burining. It removes (burn out) most of organic component and about all of the carbon. What remains (what wee see as debris on picture) is what was in juice but was impossible to remove by burning. Sure, high temperature changes things, and what we see after looks rather like ceramics than gunk.
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! The XRF analysis was a nice touch.

My question is; are you confident the contamination is from the juice and not the wick? It seems more likely the metals would come from the cotton since the are used in several biological pathways, pesticides, fertilizers, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! The XRF analysis was a nice touch.

My question is; are you confident the contamination is from the juice and not the wick? It seems more likely the metals would come from the cotton since the are used in several biological pathways, pesticides, fertilizers, etc.

I think if it would be from the cotton the derbis would be on the inner walls not on the outside

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

This seems to suggest that we might be better off using some other method to clean the coils and remove the juice residue. Washing or mechanical cleaning or solvents. Then dry burn after that. Regular operating temp of the coil is presumably a lot lower than dry burning temp, so maybe the residue isn't as hard or as well adhered to the metal before dry burning.

Reactions: nebulis

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
I think if it would be from the cotton the derbis would be on the inner walls not on the outside
I don't disagree. The same is true for the juice (should be on inner wall as well). It certainly is possible running cotton through knocked off the contamination. I would think it would take something more abrasive to do so. It certainly has me wondering.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I don't disagree. The same is true for the juice (should be on inner wall as well). It certainly is possible running cotton through knocked off the contamination. I would think it would take something more abrasive to do so. It certainly has me wondering.

The inner wall runs much cooler than the outer wall due to evaporative cooling and contact with a wet wick.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

seems more likely the metals would come from trace contaminants
in the coil itself.
:2c:
regards
mike

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Sorry for not being articulate enough. I did not mean the unused coil, I meant: before the first dry burn, but after you used it long enough to want to make a dry burn.
Yes, it is interesting, but not healthy for electron microscope - its vacuum system could be badly contaminated by PG and VG. Of course, I can wash coil in water or alcohol, but then I may remove a lot of interesting staff. May be I'll try it, but right now I have switched to unflavored...

Reactions: nebulis

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
seems more likely the metals would come from trace contaminants
in the coil itself.
:2c:
regards
mike
Sure there are trace elements in the metal, but visually we don't see them in the first image. If the surface contamination came from the metal, what made it migrate to the outside? Many metals are purified by heating but they are typically molten? Think this could be the possibility here? When i dry burn, my coils don't get soft but i do pinch and reshape turn. Perhaps these contaminants are "squeezed" out? Interesting to say the least.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Sure there are trace elements in the metal, but visually we don't see them in the first image. If the surface contamination came from the metal, what made it migrate to the outside? Many metals are purified by heating but they are typically molten? Think this could be the possibility here? When i dry burn, my coils don't get soft but i do pinch and reshape turn. Perhaps these contaminants are "squeezed" out? Interesting to say the least.

i am assuming any trace contaminants in the metal
would be dispersed evenly inside and out.
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread