Coil under electron microscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe
This seems to suggest that we might be better off using some other method to clean the coils and remove the juice residue. Washing or mechanical cleaning or solvents. Then dry burn after that.
This is what I am doing, "bathing" the coil overnight, but I do not dry burn it afterwards. No idea if it is better in any way, I just never trusted dry burn so instead I reduced flavor instead to a really tiny amount. Of course, I cannot verify if it is better in any way.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! The XRF analysis was a nice touch.

My question is; are you confident the contamination is from the juice and not the wick? It seems more likely the metals would come from the cotton since the are used in several biological pathways, pesticides, fertilizers, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Yes, I am pretty confident contaminations are not from cotton. I used Japanese cotton, KGD, and spectrum is below. Only O and C were detected (Au and Pd are from my coating).

KGD_cot_sp.a.jpg

Reactions: Iffy

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
Yes, I am pretty confident contaminations are not from cotton. I used Japanese cotton, KGD, and spectrum is below. Only O and C were detected (Au and Pd are from my coating).

View attachment 465219
You forgot H! Only kidding. Good job on thinking this experiment through. I'm a bit surprised to find that many inorganics, presumably from juice. I was getting ready to start DIY since gravimetric dilutions are part of my daily routine. Looks like you just expedited the process for me!

Again, thanks for you help!

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
First - a fresh kanthal coil, never worked (not a coil, really). Mostly clean, but some contamination visible.

View attachment 464979
===================================================================================
Now - a coil that worked for 20 days, 3 times it was dry burned (last time - before going under microscope).

View attachment 464980

I was disappointed to see that picture.So much dirt... If contamination consists of carbohydrates and/or hydrocarbons it should be removed removed completely by dry burning (converting to CO2 and H2O). Not so here. Sure I wanted to know what was in this stuff. So I used X-ray analysis.

View attachment 464983

We got a good chunk of Periodic Table here after all organic stuff was burnt out: calcium, phosphorus, silicon, magnesium, and sodium. Cr and Fe - from wire. Gold and palladium - from special coating I applied to coil before placing in under microscope. We have a lot of interesting stuff in our juices... I am not a chemist or dietologist, so I'd better refrain from any comments about whether it is healthy or not.
Now, how it looks:

View attachment 464986

Looks like poorly sintered ceramic
=================================================================

Finally - about oxides on kanthal.
Spectrum or fresh wire:

View attachment 464991

And old wire:

View attachment 464992

These spectra show that aluminum oxide layer on new wire is thin and semitransparent for electrons, and oxide layer on old wire is much thicker.

Well, if you compare fresh wire, which has never been fired, to wire which has been fired once, I would suspect that the oxide layer would already have gotten much thicker. It would be interesting to see the spectrographic analysis including the "Fired Once" case.

However, for the EM photographs, this is clearly not something coming off the coil. The exposed areas of the coil still appear to be as smooth as the original. Seeing extra scale left over from vaping e-liquid really shouldn't surprise anybody, it's entirely dependent on how the coil was cleaned and what was in the e-liquid. The visible scale is clearly loosely attached to the wire (and also is clearly not coming from the wire, but is residual gunk from the e-liquid).

Not sure what this is trying to show, and I am particularly confused by "Looks like poorly sintered ceramic". Where is the SI coming from? (I suspect this was done using a silica wick, which would explain a lot).

It's distressing to me to see this kind of "Scientific" data put out, without enough details to understand what is really going on. To me it seems quite possible that the flaky material is stuff that rubbed off of a silica wick - and the wicking material was NOT spectrographically tested (or at least you didn't show the results). Was the wick dry-burned, and then pulled out after dry-burning? Would explain a lot.

The smoking gun is the high concentration of silicon. Points right at the wicking material, and exactly in the other direction from either the coil wire or the juice.

Reactions: DC2

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
That was the point of my joke. Sorry, not sure I conveyed it very well.

Sorry, I did not conveyed my understanding. I just wanted to add a bit of explanation to your professional joke (we are not on X-ray professional forum, we are on vaping professional forum).

Reactions: dchemist

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
It's distressing to me to see this kind of "Scientific" data put out, without enough details to understand what is really going on.
I am so sorry I made you distressed.
But please let me know who promised you full research? I do not remember I was paid for vaping-related research (and such a research is quite costly, just buying instrumentation time alone will cost a lot).

May be I should explain what was my intention in more detail:
In slow summer time I wanted to spend an hour to satisfy my (and hopefully other vapers) curiosity on some facts from life of a coil.

To me it seems quite possible that the flaky material is stuff that rubbed off of a silica wick - and the wicking material was NOT spectrographically tested (or at least you didn't show the results).
Nope. It was cotton wick, its spectrum was posted on the same page as your post, just a few posts above yours.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Alien Traveler,

I apologize if I come across as contentious, I very much appreciate scientific data, but without the right context, it's impossible to figure out what the implications are.

The one question that this really raises is "Where is the silicon coming from"? It's not coming from the coil, it's extremely doubtful that it's coming from the e-liquid. It's really the odd symptom, that needs an explanation if we are going to figure out what the lower concentrations of other elements means.

Was this really done with a cotton wick, and there was never any glass wick involved, ever, either in the coil or the head?
The only other place I can imagine where SI could come from is if the e-liquid was etching silicon off of a glass tank, hard to imagine, but possible.

But, since there is such a high concentration of SI in the spectrograph, it's origin needs to be explained. These results really aren't consistent with a cotton wick in a head, vaping any imaginable kind of juice.

Can you find a pathway for the Silicon? Absent of that, the pathway for the other stuff is highly suspect.

I do appreciate your contributions to ECF, even though I don't always agree!

vapax

Jun 19, 2015
Besides liquid and a coil one needs air to produce vapor and nobody vapes (and would be allowed to) in chipindustry-standart cleanrooms. ;)

By putting FFP3 filters on the attys air intake, raidy found in 2011 that a big portion of the coilgunk origins from dust.
This should be the most plausible pathway for Si and the other elements found by the spectoscopy.

Woher kommt der Dreck im Verdampfer?

Short summary:
100ml tobaccojuice and 180ml of pure PG without filter made quite the same amount of crust on the coil while 200ml PG with filtered air left the coil in a nearly-new state.

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe
The air hypotheses is contradicted by newer observations in the same German forum made by a member who experimented with reduced flavoring and demonstrated that radically cutting the flavor in his liquid considerably reduced the gunk on his coil.

Coil and wick after about 30 ml liquid with "normal" flavoring

Coil and wick after 30 ml liquid with strongly reduced flavor

He is not the only one experiencing dramatic gunk reduction after flavor reduction or by vaping unflavored base, this is also demonstrated in the same thread.
I am not saying that ambient air has no influence at all, but the main factor seems to be flavor.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Inappropriate

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Best thread on this forum ever?

This seems to suggest that we might be better off using some other method to clean the coils and remove the juice residue. Washing or mechanical cleaning or solvents. Then dry burn after that. Regular operating temp of the coil is presumably a lot lower than dry burning temp, so maybe the residue isn't as hard or as well adhered to the metal before dry burning.
I don't recall anyone ever finding anything that actually removes the "gunk" other than dry burning.
But I don't frequent some of the remote reaches of this forum, so I may have missed it.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Very interesting @Alien Traveler. Gunk buildup notwithstanding, it's encouraging to see the Aluminum oxide layer increasing in thickness with use and dry burning, especially following Dr. F's earlier comments.
Damn

Beat me to it.

But i would like more details about the coil and use. As well I'd like to know what color the coil glowed to when it was dry burned, pulse length, power applied, etc.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread