Coil under electron microscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 15982439" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
First - a fresh kanthal coil, never worked (not a coil, really). Mostly clean, but some contamination visible.

View attachment 464979
===================================================================================
Now - a coil that worked for 20 days, 3 times it was dry burned (last time - before going under microscope).

View attachment 464980

I was disappointed to see that picture.So much dirt... If contamination consists of carbohydrates and/or hydrocarbons it should be removed removed completely by dry burning (converting to CO2 and H2O). Not so here. Sure I wanted to know what was in this stuff. So I used X-ray analysis.

View attachment 464983

We got a good chunk of Periodic Table here after all organic stuff was burnt out: calcium, phosphorus, silicon, magnesium, and sodium. Cr and Fe - from wire. Gold and palladium - from special coating I applied to coil before placing in under microscope. We have a lot of interesting stuff in our juices... I am not a chemist or dietologist, so I'd better refrain from any comments about whether it is healthy or not.
Now, how it looks:

View attachment 464986

Looks like poorly sintered ceramic
=================================================================

Finally - about oxides on kanthal.
Spectrum or fresh wire:

View attachment 464991

And old wire:

View attachment 464992

These spectra show that aluminum oxide layer on new wire is thin and semitransparent for electrons, and oxide layer on old wire is much thicker.

Very cool. Thanks for doing this. I wish I could use the electron microscopy facilities at work for personal research, but that's not possible. I like my job and my paycheck.

Nice to see the thick, adherent aluminum oxide layer on the dry burned clean coil. As it should be. This is when a Kanthal coil is at its best - releasing virtually nothing of concern into the vape. It would be interesting to see the surface and spectrum of a coil after multiple dry burns, once the aluminum in the near-surface region is depleted, and the chromium and iron get to compete to form the oxide layer. Hopefully, it still looks pretty smooth and adherent. Would be nice to know.

The various mineral deposits on the coil after dry burn aren't too surprising. For reference, here's the home page for a chemical distributor to Food & Flavor ingredient suppliers:

http://www.emcochem.com/docs/Food__Flavors.pdf

A quick look at their list of products will show many chemicals which contain the elements which are present in the EDS spectrum of the dry burn deposits. Fortunately most of these deposits are rather large particles, and the high magnification image shows them to be pretty well fused together. It seems unlikely that they end up generating any significant volume of nanoparticles in the vapor, which could be problematic. If they remain relatively large, standard scientific advice would seem to be that they should be mostly a minor irritant.

One of the main reasons I douse my coils in running water while dry burning them is to thermally shock the burned scale and rinse it away. Visual inspection by the naked eye says the coils are much cleaner after this process. Hopefully I'm not doing too much damage to the aluminum oxide scale when I do this - I'm not really sure. But I'm fairly confident that it reforms and provides a continuous protective layer in short order. At least until the coils get too old. I try to rebuild before then.

Thanks again.

vapax

Jun 19, 2015
Nebulis, twgbonehead asked for a pathway, i offered a possible one and know the thread you mentioned. Of course flavour has an influence. Latest observations by the same member showed a remarkable reduction of gunk builup by using a TC-mod and he washed that gunk of with water. He did no tests with airfilters.
My conclusion: "coilkiller" flavours degrade under high temperatures to something that hardly evaporates and forms a kind of glue that catches dust, baking together to the crusts we all know. Organic compounds in dust may also degrade when they touch (too) hot wires forming a "matrix" to catch the inert, mineralic part of dustparticles - that could explain raidys observation with pure PG.
Greets

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
OK, maybe I'm an ol' curmudgeon and don't have da new patronizing pampering PC attitude of today down pat. BUT, day-um, WHAT DA FRACK with da aggression toward Alien Traveler?

Ya'll must realize that he only posted a couple of EM pics and a spectral graph which is deeply appreciated. That alone should motivate those that can, and should, examine and interpret both to attempt to answer all of our questions. In fact, why has not our 'vaping industry suppliers' embraced the mission? Shame on them, not AT! Hell, even our 'protective government' hasn't proffered such research/evidence with our endle$$ deep pocket$!

Ask and inquire, hell yeah! But attack AT, FOAD! Shame on those that ask more of an ECF member than they do of those that can fund/find results! <sigh>

AT, thank you, my fellow concerned vaper!

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
The unexplained does not give me such problems. I suppose looking out at the night sky does bother some. It is unreasonable to expect everything to be fully explained.
Good job AT I now know more than I did but not everything and that does not bother me. I am just grateful for each bit of additional knowledge.
I hope some of the responses here does not cause you not to post similar information in the future.

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I would like to see the outcome of said usage. Especially at the micrometer level to see the ceramic insulator and how that would affect coverage.

Let me try and answer that for you, beck...

If you look at the first page, you'll see my comments on using a soft, fine wire, bronze bristle brush on coils, more specifically on "gunkified" coils... abused with solids, sweeteners, colorants - what have you.
I don't have images, but I do look at my coils from time to time with a 15X loupe... 'cause I'm one of those guys. ;)

After a dry burn sufficient to turn most contaminants to an ashy, crust... a light brushing produces a coil surface that, at 15X, for lack of a better term, has a light orange peel finish... with no holes, pits, pockets or flaking.
Without magnification, it's just smooth, clean, silver to silver/blue, frosty metallic in appearance.

When I do see holes, pits, pockets or flaking... typically along with dark iron/chromium visible through the alumina layer... it's well past time to make a new coil.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

If you look at the first page, you'll see my comments on using a soft, fine wire, bronze bristle brush on coils, more specifically on "gunkified" coils... abused with solids, sweeteners, colorants - what have you.
I don't have images, but I do look at my coils from time to time with a 15X loupe... 'cause I'm one of those guys. ;)

After a dry burn sufficient to turn most contaminants to an ashy, crust... a light brushing produces a coil surface that, at 15X, for lack of a better term, has a light orange peel finish... with no holes, pits, pockets or flaking.
Without magnification, it's just smooth, clean, silver to silver/blue, frosty metallic in appearance.

When I do see holes, pits, pockets or flaking... typically along with dark iron/chromium visible through the alumina layer... it's well past time to make a new coil.
Thanks

I appreciate the effort.

But i was thinking more along the lines of in reference to konstantino farsalinos' and Pedros (I hope that's the right name) assertions vs. Those of the metallurgists. Pictorial evidence that supports one side of the other in enough scenarios to end the speculation and debate.

I respect your opinion and believe your experience to be true more than likely. I'd actually be curious what you could quantify and what you might be able to show for examples.

Tapatyped

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA

This sounds like a very reasonable approach to coil management. Perfect for those guys.;)

Discoloration of a clean coil after dry burning almost certainly means the aluminum has been mostly consumed. And the coil surface is no longer "Kanthal-like". Time for a new coil, in my estimation, to be sure.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
This sounds like a very reasonable approach to coil management. Perfect for those guys.;)

Discoloration of a clean coil after dry burning almost certainly means the aluminum has been mostly consumed. And the coil surface is no longer "Kanthal-like". Time for a new coil, in my estimation, to be sure.

Very early in my study of clearo build techniques and contact coils which by then encompassed hundreds of t.m.c.'s I was actively testing wet/dry burn. Simply adding small drops to pulsing from a needle nose to start and expedite the process. These coils I found behaved a lot like unoxidized contact coils (markedly hotter). Cut the excersise short suspecting as you do some significant loss of alumina (or that I was simply overdoing it). I was also concerned that rapid temp change and differentials across the wire surface might contribute damage to the alumina or underlying metals (cracking). As I was focused on crafting rebuilding approaches for new vapers I didn't want to introduce more problems than I solved.

I'll revisit this on some builds as pulsing less is the way to go. Alumina reduction hasn't been the main reason I replace coils for my own use but the consequences of thermal expansion (warping) which eventually skews contact somewhere and handling of course. And then it's the resulting efficiency loss (gunking) which requires compression as a fix but it's never the same once minute gaps arise. Gotta toss these. It's like chasin' rabbits. So I'm running 4-6 weeks on replacement. I vape a lot of complex juices. Survivability is desirable when you use a lot of mods as I do. Thx for posting the question. An interesting topic.

Good luck all.

:)

Reactions: beckdg

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I generally use a soft brass brush after dry burning.

Good, bad or irrelevant?
:confused:

Where do you get those brushes?

I was using pipe cleaners, which seemed like a good idea. Today I checked before and after with a magnifying glass. I found quite a few small scraps of cotton from the pipe cleaner trapped between the wraps of the coil after pre-dry burn cleaning. I assume it's cotton. Probably not organic or safe in any other way. And if I hadn't looked I would have dry burned the coil and roasted those cotton scraps.

Probably still use pipe cleaners to clear juice and other gunk out of the pipework, but not on the coil.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I wonder how many Liquid Flavorants have Anti Caking agents in them?

No idea, especially since these flavorings are not really formulated for mixing e-liquids. Probably best to just make your own extracts and use those. Lots more work and $$$ - most vendors just buy flavorings & mix 'em up. Even then, they're at the mercy of the ingredients in whatever they extract their flavors from.

It's still probably safer than eating at your favorite fast food restaurant.

Reactions: beckdg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No idea, especially since these flavorings are not really formulated for mixing e-liquids. Probably best to just make your own extracts and use those. Lots more work and $$$ - most vendors just buy flavorings & mix 'em up. Even then, they're at the mercy of the ingredients in whatever they extract their flavors from.

It's still probably safer than eating at your favorite fast food restaurant.

I wonder how Many Flavorants used in e-Liquids start their Life in Powdered Form? Verses Liquid Form.

Not much use for an Anti Caking agent if the Flavorant was made in Liquid Form.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I wonder how Many Flavorants used in e-Liquids start their Life in Powdered Form? Verses Liquid Form.

Not much use for an Anti Caking agent if the Flavorant was made in Liquid Form.

Yeah, I don't know. Point is, it took about five seconds to find additives containing silicon. They're also present in emulsifiers on that single suppliers list. Bet I can find more if I try ...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah, I don't know. Point is, it took about five seconds to find additives containing silicon. They're also present in emulsifiers on that single suppliers list. Bet I can find more if I try ...

Please report back what you Find.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread