Coil width question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I do single coils! LOL that's all that is needed for my (MTL) needs, but to answer your question.... that sounds like a ton of metal in your tank. Don't know how it will vape but really, you may find yourself needing more wattage, and also resulting in slower ramp up speed. The more metal in your build, well, that will also heat up the e-liquid as well, possibly shortening wick life and etc.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying that there ARE advantages to single, non exotic coil builds and so I listed a few. LOL. With that kind of wire I would definitely start with a single coil build, as halving resistance is not going to work in your favor.

With all that said, nothing wrong with a few extra wraps generally, even if they are a bit larger, and everyone's vape taste is different, so you may find yourself loving your exotic coil builds... Best of luck,

Anna

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
I do single coils! LOL that's all that is needed for my (MTL) needs, but to answer your question.... that sounds like a ton of metal in your tank. Don't know how it will vape but really, you may find yourself needing more wattage, and also resulting in slower ramp up speed. The more metal in your build, well, that will also heat up the e-liquid as well, possibly shortening wick life and etc.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying that there ARE advantages to single, non exotic coil builds and so I listed a few. LOL. With that kind of wire I would definitely start with a single coil build, as halving resistance is not going to work in your favor.

With all that said, nothing wrong with a few extra wraps generally, even if they are a bit larger, and everyone's vape taste is different, so you may find yourself loving your exotic coil builds... Best of luck,

Anna
Anna you are the best lol. Not sure how to set up my airflow on the Drop but I’m assuming I’ll still keep both wide open

• Love
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you use both, I'd start out wide open. Some tanks.... Like the Siren V2 22 mm, that is such a "thirsty" tank when wide open, but I have found (at least with that diameter ml size) that my wicks really need for it to be pretty open, otherwise they gunk fast. So, I just fill it up frequently:lol:.

But yeah, I would say with that much metal in your tank, more airflow will probably reduce heat some, and make things wick better, but every tank is different, so you just never know. Experiment. Although, I might approach that from starting wide open, and then seeing how you like the vape as you slowly close it off, and wind up... Wherever you LIKE winding up. In my larger 24 mm Siren, I have more liquid around my coil and wick and can close it off more. The 22 mm, not so much. So, I'd guess every tank is individual but if it were me, I'd probably start from a less restricted position and work my way downward. Etc.

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
For a dual coil I mean. One coil 7 wraps I’m beautiful but I’m using on a Drop...who does single coils anymore anyway lol

You can always look into the rta's that have neutral posts... those are VERY helpful sometimes. ..

When you use them then instead of halving the ohms of one coil you are doubling the ohms of one coil (in a dual coil atty)

• Agree

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
  • Love

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
....who does single coils anymore anyway lol

I do. I run my 24mm dual coil rdas in single coil mode (Dead Rabbit x 2, Athena, Pulse 24) usually around 0.2 ohm with the air wide open and they vape great. I had been vaping everything dual coil for the past 12 or 18 months and now I much prefer single coil as they ramp faster, give better battery life and I didn't really notice any difference in flavor, throat hit or cloud density.

But if I use a single coil on my Drop you guys suggest I keep the airflow wide open? Idk how people’s experience has been with single coil on that rda

I don't have a drop but how you set the airflow is going to depend on your own personal preference for restriction and how low of ohm x how many watts you push. The lower the ohms and the higher the wattage you go the more air you will want.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
So I bought a spool of alien Clapton’s which are gorgeous, however I need quite a lot of wraps in order for them to ohm out above my mods restriction. My question is, is it okay that the coils are wider than the slots of the air flow? I don’t know if that’s going to affect flavor or not
What mod?
Mechanical or regulated?
What size is the wire?

I don't have a Drop either but most RDA's are similar.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I use single coil set ups more than dual coil. Lots of us use single coils.

I found that when I turn my drop airflow down, it closes the air holes that feed direct airflow to the coils first. When that happens I get spitback and hotter vapor than I like. But, if you feed too much air to a single coil the flavor starts to suffer. The drop really is designed to be ran wide open with dual coils. That is where it shines and performs at its best.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
...who does single coils anymore anyway lol

You mean people still vape double coilers???? :D

Actually I've only bothered to build dual coil setups on rare occasions. Honestlty not really that impressed.

Less coils, cotton, better battery life, the list goes on and on.

I get a GREAT vape with a single coil, so no reason to bother with a double.

Anytime I buy a double coil atty, it MUST also be capable of being run in single coil mode, or it's not even a consideration. The majority of my attys are single coil only.

I'm sure some folks ONLY vape double coilers as well. I'm perfectly content with a decent single. :thumb:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I would say with wire you're using a single coil in the Drop will work fine. You'll want to put the coil in the center and down so the airflow will come through both sides and hit the coil. I'd try it wide open or even shut the top row of the airflow off.

Last edited:

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
20171225_172427.jpg
So I bought a spool of alien Clapton’s which are gorgeous, however I need quite a lot of wraps in order for them to ohm out above my mods restriction. My question is, is it okay that the coils are wider than the slots of the air flow? I don’t know if that’s going to affect flavor or not
It's fine as long as you like the vape, and it's safe.
The Drop has either a crap ton of af or very little. If you roll single on it bend it over to the center of the 4 posts, you may have to experiment with higher or lower depending on how much af you use.

Duals I'd place them high and both slightly in.

This is the only pic I have left of the Drop. It's a triple something or another, just as an experiment to see if I could. The top 2 are about where I placed my dual coils.

And yes, people still use single, whomever asked. I dropped dual could when I realized I'd get batter flavor and no one gives a crap about my clouds.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
It's fine as long as you like the vape, and it's safe.
The Drop has either a crap ton of af or very little. If you roll single on it bend it over to the center of the 4 posts, you may have to experiment with higher or lower depending on how much af you use.

Duals I'd place them high and both slightly in.

And yes, people still use single, whomever asked. I dropped dual could when I realized I'd get batter flavor and no one gives a crap about my clouds.

It seems alot of people have gone to single coil atties. I prefer dual coils. I've use single coils in a couple different atties but they aren't standard coils. I like braiding wire and those coils would have to be HUGE to get the resistance high enough to run dual. I also have a roll of ss316l juggernaut wire that is the same. I really want to find a really good RDA for single coils. I've been looking at the VLS. Probably get one next time I put in an order.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
It seems alot of people have gone to single coil atties. I prefer dual coils. I've use single coils in a couple different atties but they aren't standard coils. I like braiding wire and those coils would have to be HUGE to get the resistance high enough to run dual. I also have a roll of ss316l juggernaut wire that is the same. I really want to find a really good RDA for single coils. I've been looking at the VLS. Probably get one next time I put in an order.
Try the B2K. Love mine. It's what made me switch to single coil RDAs. Still use the Drop and Pulse 24, but almost always with a single.

I have a US 1 v1 the I only run duals on. It's a velocity style deck so no single.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Try the B2K. Love mine. It's what made me switch to single coil RDAs. Still use the Drop and Pulse 24, but almost always with a single.

I have a US 1 v1 the I only run duals on. It's a velocity style deck so no single.
An interesting way to run a single coil in a velocity style deck is put a vertical coil between the posts.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
I've only ran my Drop in single coil and have found that I got a lot better flavor by shutting off the top row of AF holes. I usually used a fused clapton coil with an ID of 3mm with a resistance of around .22 I cut the coil lead a bit long so that I had enough length to pull the coil to the center of the deck. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread