• Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I'm pretty set in what I use, tri core fc. The only wire left I want to give a go is the 8x3 ss flat TD has bragged on. Just haven't gotten around to ordering any. Do change it up in the rdas on occasion, usually with an alien or staggered DC. Framed staples are tasty but pretty rowdy, more a mood coil for me.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I'm pretty set in what I use, tri core fc. The only wire left I want to give a go is the 8x3 ss flat TD has bragged on. Just haven't gotten around to ordering any. Do change it up in the rdas on occasion, usually with an alien or staggered DC. Framed staples are tasty but pretty rowdy, more a mood coil for me.

I haven’t experimented much. Started with round kanthal, then I wanted to try TC so I got a few samples of SS316. I had good luck with fused Claptons and just kind of rolled with it.

I’m going to try the flat wire too. Less ramp up sounds good to me, especially for those tube mods. I’m just not sure what or where to buy.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2018
    Athens,Greece
    This thread is a good idea! Ooops sorry..
    th

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Following:) be prepared for questions from me lol!

I was just re-reading your other thread. As someone else said, you don’t need to worry about ohms law with a regulated mod.

What you will need to experiment with is how to get the best flavor at a prefered temperature for your atty.

I believe you said you have a berserker. That’s strictly mtl. That is not going to do as well with a lower build. Some Mtl atties do okay with low ohms (which equals hotter vape) but berserker’s air is very restricted and you’ll probably find .3 ohms is not optimal.

I played with mine a bit and ended up around .6, but higher might be good, too. .6 SS was as big a coil as I wanted to stuff in it.

Some of the other things to consider, and things I’m not knowledgeable enough to address, are that different wire types have different resistance and other properties.

I know that kanthal is only used in power mode, and that SS is for use in power or TC, that’s why I use it, because I do both.

And I know that bigger gauge wire has lower resistance, more surface which equals better flavor, but slower ramp. You’ll need to try different builds and find a balance between all these things, and you’ll need to do that for each new atty.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I've been experimenting some with coils, enjoying the dual core fused Claptons a lot on my regulated mods but with the advent of the Luna I've been trying for the perfect build for me; been trying some various N80 wires as a result. Since I'm higher ohm build, finding the perfect fancy wire that heats quickly is a bit more challenging..

Thinking of beginning to create my own wire as a result..

Things will get interesting in the New year I'm thinking.. lol

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I was just re-reading your other thread. As someone else said, you don’t need to worry about ohms law with a regulated mod.

What you will need to experiment with is how to get the best flavor at a prefered temperature for your atty.

I believe you said you have a berserker. That’s strictly mtl. That is not going to do as well with a lower build. Some Mtl atties do okay with low ohms (which equals hotter vape) but berserker’s air is very restricted and you’ll probably find .3 ohms is not optimal.

I played with mine a bit and ended up around .6, but higher might be good, too. .6 SS was as big a coil as I wanted to stuff in it.

Some of the other things to consider, and things I’m not knowledgeable enough to address, are that different wire types have different resistance and other properties.

I know that kanthal is only used in power mode, and that SS is for use in power or TC, that’s why I use it, because I do both.

And I know that bigger gauge wire has lower resistance, more surface which equals better flavor, but slower ramp. You’ll need to try different builds and find a balance between all these things, and you’ll need to do that for each new atty.
    I was wondering if maybe getting one of those little multi packs of various different coils might be a good thing to do so I can play around without having to purchase everything individually since with my penchant for overthinking things that would probably devolve into me filling up a cart with everything I can find and then getting Frozen in indecision and not purchasing anything.. that is of course if I can find one that isnt for super sub ohm ppl and then when I find something that I like I can make the jump and buy some wire and coil my own.. I don't know if that's a good idea or if there's problems with those sort of sets

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I was wondering if maybe getting one of those little multi packs of various different coils might be a good thing to do so I can play around without having to purchase everything individually since with my penchant for overthinking things that would probably devolve into me filling up a cart with everything I can find and then getting Frozen in indecision and not purchasing anything.. that is of course if I can find one that isnt for super sub ohm ppl and then when I find something that I like I can make the jump and buy some wire and coil my own.. I don't know if that's a good idea or if there's problems with those sort of sets

The only problem I had with pre made coils is I couldn’t find the metal type and resistance I was looking for. And they’re more expensive than a spool of wire. But they’re not a bad idea really, because you can try a bunch of different things and see what suits you.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    The only problem I had with pre made coils is I couldn’t find the metal type and resistance I was looking for. And they’re more expensive than a spool of wire. But they’re not a bad idea really, because you can try a bunch of different things and see what suits you.
    I use wattage mode on all of my devices and I don't go into temperature control or any of that even though they all seem to have options beyond wattage. What are the names of the metals or metal alloys that I can use with wattage mode? I only have regulated mods but I'm very confused as to what is what. Like I know what SS is and I think I understand that you can use those with temperature control and I'm using them right now with wattage but I'm not sure that I understand what kanthal is or what mode to use. I also don't really understand what the word Clapton means lol

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I use wattage mode on all of my devices and I don't go into temperature control or any of that even though they all seem to have options beyond wattage. What are the names of the metals or metal alloys that I can use with wattage mode? I only have regulated mods but I'm very confused as to what is what. Like I know what SS is and I think I understand that you can use those with temperature control and I'm using them right now with wattage but I'm not sure that I understand what kanthal is or what mode to use. I also don't really understand what the word Clapton means lol
    Clapton are core wires with a single wire wrap around them. YouTube is a handy tool for the visuals. For example I prefer a three core 30g wire wrapped with a single 38g wire. I'm all for getting pre built couls but also think you should get a spool of kanthal 26g. Wattage/power mode wires are kanthal, ss, or nichrome. Ni80 is the most commonly used nichrome. This a link to steam engine wire wizard, great tool to help you figure out what id and # of wraps to get close to a target resistance. For example a 2.5mm 8 wrap 26g kanthal gets to a resistance of 1.0 ohm. Good mtl starting point.
    Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    We'll keep tabs here just in case you ladies need any assistance or technical clarifications... :pervy: :wub:
    Glad you popped by, can't find my link to the wire site. Truthfully I simply can't find my clipboard on the phone where the link you gave me is.:facepalm: I do remember the name begins with a Z but it's not showing in my search, yes I have zero googlefu powers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread