Coilerinas Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Glad you popped by, can't find my link to the wire site. Truthfully I simply can't find my clipboard on the phone where the link you gave me is.:facepalm: I do remember the name begins with a Z but it's not showing in my search, yes I have zero googlefu powers.
Zivipf is the place you seek. :D
Resistance Heating Wire

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Clapton are core wires with a single wire wrap around them. YouTube is a handy tool for the visuals. For example I prefer a three core 30g wire wrapped with a single 38g wire. I'm all for getting pre built couls but also think you should get a spool of kanthal 26g. Wattage/power mode wires are kanthal, ss, or nichrome. Ni80 is the most commonly used nichrome. This a link to steam engine wire wizard, great tool to help you figure out what id and # of wraps to get close to a target resistance. For example a 2.5mm 8 wrap 26g kanthal gets to a resistance of 1.0 ohm. Good mtl starting point.
Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
I have a coil jig I think is what it's called one of the little tools that have the different millimeters do you think that using that and my wrist would be an adequate way of wrapping it or do I need to buy one of those coil Master kits?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have a coil jig I think is what it's called one of the little tools that have the different millimeters do you think that using that and my wrist would be an adequate way of wrapping it or do I need to buy one of those coil Master kits?
Jig is all you need. Honestly a rod is enough be it a bamboo stick or screwdriver. Pair of small pliers to pull the coil tight is useful when using thinner wire like 28-30g which is ideal for higher ohm coils. I just recommend starting with 26g because it is easier to learn with and gives a fast enough ramp and good flavor. The very best advice I was given when learning to build was only adjust one thing at a time. Tedious but rather vital to learning the sweet spot for your personal optimum vape. I usually start with tweaking coil height then move on id size. These tweaks can be different from atty to atty. Same will apply to wicking. Easiest wick to learn with is koh gen do pads imo.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
@AvaOrchid it seems like a lot to take in but honestly it's much easier than it sounds in print. YT rip trippers older coil building videos are fantastic to pull up and have in front of you winding your first coils. One thing I did at first is wind 3 or four coils all with a different id and # of wraps. I'm lazy and it was a quicker way to get closer to what I would enjoy more. Then the tweaking of coil placement would begin. Single coil RDAs are ideal to start on. Easy and fast install and adjust.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
@AvaOrchid it seems like a lot to take in but honestly it's much easier than it sounds in print. YT rip trippers older coil building videos are fantastic to pull up and have in front of you winding your first coils. One thing I did at first is wind 3 or four coils all with a different id and # of wraps. I'm lazy and it was a quicker way to get closer to what I would enjoy more. Then the tweaking of coil placement would begin. Single coil RDAs are ideal to start on. Easy and fast install and adjust.
The 26g kanthal is super inexpensive to play with it seems. Do I have to twist the wire together some sort of way or can it be used as it is just coiled? I mean I see people that have almost like braided it or something but is it perfectly fine to use right off the spool after coiling it of course?

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    We'll keep tabs here just in case you ladies need any assistance or technical clarifications... :pervy: :wub:
    You know, mansplaining.

giphy.gif

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    The 26g kanthal is super inexpensive to play with it seems. Do I have to twist the wire together some sort of way or can it be used as it is just coiled? I mean I see people that have almost like braided it or something but is it perfectly fine to use right off the spool after cooling it of course?
    Just start with simple single round wire coils. Since you already know you like ss it's worth it to get a spool of it too. With ss you will need more wraps for higher ohms. Will give you a good comparison experience to play with both types of wire. Since you don't use tc stick with 26g 316 ss. It is springier than kanthal so more of a challenge to work with. 24g does wrap easier but the ramp is slower, if you're okay with that get the ss 24g.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Had to edit above post twice, damn spellcheck!:mad:
    Yeah I just realized I said something about after I've cooled the wire when I really did mean to say coiled..lol at least this forum is pretty easy to utilize I've seen some forums where you can't go back and edit like once you posted it's written in stone.

Anasg

Moved On
    Oct 10, 2019
    • Deleted by Unforeseen

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Is there any particular reason why you can't use Amazon for the kanthal or ss316 wire? There's some cotton I want to get through there and it would be nice just to be able to get everything at once instead of having to pay separate shipping
    Depends on vendor and brand. Who is the seller?

Reactions: DeloresRose
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread