Coils and battery LIFE span

Status
Not open for further replies.

deblondeone

Feb 21, 2014
New Mexico
So I recently purchased a IClear 30S and so far I love it with the exception that the coils are dying within 6days. The coils are 2.1 OHM I use a Torpedo V2 battery. I keep the battery set between 6.5 and 7.5 as it seems the flavor is better, the higher the power the less flavor I have. Is it normal for a dual coil to burn out that fast. The battery does have a atomizer reading which will start at 2.1 but within a day or two it either climbs. I really didnt think I vaped in excess or if maybe the battery unit is the issue. I did not purchase the battery it was given to me by a friend. also since I purchased the Iclear tank it seems like it can only last about 3-4 hours if that before I need to plug it in to charge. Often I will take a hit and the green light is flashing batteries are very costly and I do not want to buy one if this isnt the issue. Is there a way to test a battery? :vapor:

Timbuck55

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2014
Queens, New York, United States
So I recently purchased a IClear 30S and so far I love it with the exception that the coils are dying within 6days. The coils are 2.1 OHM I use a Torpedo V2 battery. I keep the battery set between 6.5 and 7.5 as it seems the flavor is better, the higher the power the less flavor I have. Is it normal for a dual coil to burn out that fast. The battery does have a atomizer reading which will start at 2.1 but within a day or two it either climbs. I really didnt think I vaped in excess or if maybe the battery unit is the issue. I did not purchase the battery it was given to me by a friend. also since I purchased the Iclear tank it seems like it can only last about 3-4 hours if that before I need to plug it in to charge. Often I will take a hit and the green light is flashing batteries are very costly and I do not want to buy one if this isnt the issue. Is there a way to test a battery? :vapor:

It really depends. Those stock coils would last me anywhere from a day to like a week then burn out. It was really random for me. Plus take in account how you draw from your ecig. Slow draw like sucking through a straw. Also if you use a heavy VG juice it wears the coils out a little quicker then PG because VG is thicker.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
If your coils are 2.1 than I am pretty sure that means you have two 4.2 coils and that will make your resistance read 2.1.

With a single coil, you could effectively run that for a while but when you have two coils and the amps going to each; it will kill your battery faster. Also, batteries that are a year or more older are really at the end of their cycle in most circumstances and it is a safe practice to just retire anything that doesn't charge fully to 4.2 ish when you charge it or drains out quick. I wouldn't say that 3-4 hours isn't unreasonable but not optimal either.

With your coil, if you use it and don't clean it or do anything to it at all...........and perhaps using sweeter or darker juices too, it won't last very long so 6 days isn't unheard of.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Dark juices usually will gunk up a coil faster, even in a weeks time. A good cleaning with some cheap vodka or everclear and a good dry burn should put you back in business. As for your battery, I looked it up and it appears to be an Innokin Itaste V3 rebrand or knockoff. 3-4 hours for an 800mah battery is not too good. You should easily go from morning till night with a good one. A new Itaste can be had for under $30.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I clean my iclear 30 once a week.(I have several) they last several months. Resistence going up is a sign of coil reaching the end of its life.
You may test your battery with a DMM. Should charge to 4.1 volts & discharged at 3.5. Realistically expect about 120 charge cycles. 6 to 7 watts is hardly stressing or over driving your battery..

deblondeone

Feb 21, 2014
New Mexico
I believe that the Juice I use is 100% VG I shop at Vaporshotz here as they are nice and have the best prices. I dont think that I swoosh but I do leave it lying down not standing up. I do take large hits I quess but not too sure seems equal to my friends that vape but add alchol to the mix and I vape alot more . every once in a while I get a popping sound its not like 2.50 a week is alot but I just thought they would last longer and the store I go to is a 30+ minute drive from where i live. This is my first tank and prior everything I used was disposable. So how do I clean this tank I have been told by friends that you can not clean a coil as the water damages the atomizer. I searched some youtube videos but most cover the Iclear 30 that has exposed wicks not the Iclear 30S which the coils and wicks are in a metal casing. Any info on cleaning would be most helpful as I really prefer the way the taste is when the coil is new and fresh.

deblondeone

Feb 21, 2014
New Mexico
Dark juices usually will gunk up a coil faster, even in a weeks time. A good cleaning with some cheap vodka or everclear and a good dry burn should put you back in business. As for your battery, I looked it up and it appears to be an Innokin Itaste V3 rebrand or knockoff. 3-4 hours for an 800mah battery is not too good. You should easily go from morning till night with a good one. A new Itaste can be had for under $30.

do you clean the coil & wick part or just the rest? sorry if it is a dumb question this is my first tank

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL

I have had mixed experience with the 30S stock coils. They are often wound far too tight, which results in the wick getting choked and burning out very quickly. Basically, its just hit or miss.

As for how long your battery will last:

On a 2.1 ohm coil, vaping at 6.5 watts, your amp draw is 1.76.

800mah = 0.8 Ah

0.8 Ah / 1.76 A = 0.45 hours

So you can push that button for a theoretical maximum of about 27 minutes before the battery dies.

At 7.5 watts, 2.1 ohm coil, your amp draw is 1.90

0.8 Ah / 1.90 = 0.42 hours

So you can theoretically push the button for a maximum of 25 minutes before the battery dies.

These figures are an theoretical absolute maximum. The reality is very different, each pulse wastes energy, and is inefficient, so if the coil truly gets the watts your setting it to, the battery actually has to output more than that in order for the coil to get those watts. Also, the battery will never fully discharge. So really, with an efficiency of 75%, which would be pretty good, your looking at a maximum of pressing the button for about 20 minutes at 6.5 watts, and about 18 minutes at 7.5 watts.

If you chain vape, the battery isnt going to last you long at all.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
do you clean the coil & wick part or just the rest? sorry if it is a dumb question this is my first tank

Clean it all!! You really can't hurt anything in there. Just make sure after the vodka or alcohol to give it a water rinse. I don't have a 30s, just the 30, but cleaning is cleaning. I searched for a video on YouTube, came up empty so far, still looking, want to know about these.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
I found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ru5gdu3mqA

He tears into the coil in this one. Evidently, there's no way to do a good dry burn on this coil because when you pull the rubber cap, some of the wicks come out. If it were me, I'd be looking at something I could easily dry burn or rebuild, like a Protank II. This 30s could get expensive in a hurry!!

deblondeone

Feb 21, 2014
New Mexico
Well I cleaned the coil that I took out on sunday to see what happens. But the coil I replaced it with on Sunday morning around one pm has already started to climb up the A .( atomizer) reading . Yesterday it went from 2.1 to 2.2 now I just checked it and it is at a 2.4 I have refilled the tank only 2-3 times I usually will go through 3ml in a day. So needless to say but I really hope it last until weekend or I hope the one I cleaned will work again. I find it funny that I originally wanted the Protank but the guys at the store told me this was the better tank, so I followed their advice and purchased this one. I guess it is all a learning experiance honestly my boyfriend doesnt mind buying me coil after coil, or this or that as long as I dont have an actual cig in my mouth. honestly I never though after smoking since for 31 years I would be able to go almost 60 days with out a cig. I am still under 40 yrs old so If I can keep it up maybe able to live past 60.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
As for how long your battery will last:

On a 2.1 ohm coil, vaping at 6.5 watts, your amp draw is 1.76.

800mah = 0.8 Ah

0.8 Ah / 1.76 A = 0.45 hours

So you can push that button for a theoretical maximum of about 27 minutes before the battery dies.

For a mechanical mod, this is correct, but the OP seems to have a regulated mod, in which case the calculations are a bit more complex. I wrote a blog post about this topic a week or two ago, and a battery drain calculator for both mechs and APVs, which should be able to give you some more accurate numbers.

Your numbers are impressively close, though, since your starting point is power instead of voltage. The only lacking variable skewing the numbers seems to be the efficiency of the APV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread