Coils burning out quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
The leaking and gurgling was an issue with the Kanger tanks once down to below 1/3 a tank on the Protank 1 and 2. Surprisingly the elasticity between air and the liquid in the tank creates a vacuum suction that prevents liquid from just pouring in when above 1/3 of a tank, get below 1/3 a tank the elasticity of the air and vacuum can't hold the liquid back. Amazing the amount of physics involved in vaping -_-". So just have to keep the tank above 1/3 to keep from flooding and gurgling is all.

Thank you for that answer, I am glad to see a scientific explanation as to why it leaks when it's low. Common thinking would say that when it's full there is more liquid volume and force on the bottom so it should leak then but when low there is not as much "pressure" on the bottom so it shouldn't but what you said makes perfect sense! I will just try not to let it get too low.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm a little confused. Your first post mentioned a Vivi Nova. That's a TOP coil tank with spider wicks that extend down into the juice. BDC and BVC refer to Bottom coils, not top coils.

Good wicking in the Vivi Nova requires that you turn the tank horizontal and rotate it between vapes to keep the wicks saturated. If you keep it vertical all the time it will vape really well at first, but as the tank begins to empty the coils are more and more out of the juice in the tank. That's why you have to turn it horizontal periodically to saturate the wicks. Either that, or top it off when it begins to reach the half full point.

Nautilus with the BVC coils will probably impress you so much that you will put the Vivi Nova in a box and forget about it. If you are interested in a really good tank that allows you to choose your own wicking solution try a Kayfun. You can buy a bag of organic cotton balls and a 100 foot roll of Kanthal wire for about $10 and have enough wire and wick to last more than a year, maybe two. A coil will last you a month to 6 weeks and you can replace the cotton wick and dry burn it every two or three days. That takes about 10 minutes. My Nautilus and Aerotank Mega sit in the box along with every other atomizer these days. The Kayfun spoiled me.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
I may have mis stated what I have, I do have an innokin iclear16 that came with my mvp and it is indeed top coil, it has the long wicks that you have to keep wet, but the one I was talking about was the aspire vivi nova which I will include a picture of, this uses aspire BDC coils stock, I have since changed those out to the BVC version. You are also right about the nautilus which is why I want one so badly, my father in law whom I got into vaping bought an aspire BDC tank and didn't like it very much so he asked me wha he should get and I told him to get the nautilus, he went and got the mini version and I got to put it on my mod with my drip tip and try it and I was absolutely amazed, my preference was the smallest air hole and it hit like a hammer at 11 watts, it really made me want one even more than I already did!

Here is the pic of the tank I have now, though this one is the plastic, I now have the glass version of the same one.

I will also add that a genuine SvoeMesto kayfun is my grail right now, I will have one eventually but funds just are not allowing it right now. I may even end up with a clone before I can get the real one, but it will happen one day.

Last edited:

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
Chili, stop & refill before you get to 3/4 empty. All the instructions with my tanks say that's where gurrgling & leaking start. You're losing vacuum after that.

Thank you! I am definitely going to start making a habit of this from now on. I never got any paperwork with my tanks, my shop just handed me the tank in a plastic bag, no box or anything.. Maybe if I had gotten those I would have known better!

PaulieD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
Beach
I am currently vaping on the very same tank (but with stainless/pyrex sleeves ...awaiting a Vamo 8 25 watt)
Mine also has BDC coils...and they are spinoffs. They work great !
Yes at 2/3 empty it used to start gurgling for a vape or two, but I tip it upside down and vape till the excess fluid is burned off and then rightside up and all is well.
I clean the coil every tank and dry burn. I have been running the 2.0 ohm coil at 4-4.2 volts and I love it.
I have received 20 BVC coils, but I will wait till these (BDC's) are used (2 of them).

I did have to take it totally apart and reassemble it because the threads were not allowing the bottom to screw down without hitting the top stem and not sealing properly. There was a rough spot that I had to work through and then all was fine...and still is. I am vaping it right now.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
Chili, there are bvc coils for the other Aspire tanks, not just the 2 Nautilus tanks. The 2 Nautilus tanks use 1 coil. The other tanks use a different size bvc coil. If you are using the wrong one, that may be why you are leaking. And tell your FIL there's a coil for him!

Yes, I do have the correct BVC coils. I have seen the nautilus ones and they look completely different. The BVC coils for BDC tanks look just like the BDC coils, you can only tell the difference by looking into the top of the coil or by looking at the bottom. I am sure that I have the right one.

You lost me on that last statement though?

I will also add that I am currently saving funds to get either an aspire nautilus or a kayfun clone which I hope will end the leaking issue but for now something has got to give, this is beyond annoying. Later I am going to get a real kayfun but right now $20 vs $100 is pretty substantial.

I have a nautilus mini and I can even leave the tank unscrewed a tad to make it line up better on my Kamry k1000 pipe hah its so far not leaked once. It also feeds juice to the coil so fast I've not yet gotten a dry hit. Haven't tried a 5ml nautilus but the mini is a champ so far.

I was watching a video from 2 random dudes doing a limelight epipe review their name lemonvapes but they had the exact same juice on the battery problem because there was a tiny gap between the connector and tank and fixed it by buying one of those attachments for a few bucks. A beauty ring type attachment if that helps.

Last edited:

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
Well, I finally bit that proverbial bullet today and got myself an ehpro kayfun clone. Other than some hiccups trying to make the first coil and some continuing dry hit issues, it's working good and not leaking!

I actually had to go back to the shop with it because it was dry hitting so badly, they wound a new coil and it was ok for about 20 minutes and started doing it again, not it's still dry hitting from time to time but it's better. They said that since I wrapped the ends of the coil around the screws one complete time and then tightened them it was causing the problem, I am not sure about that but the way she wound it the ends are just "tucked" under the screws instead of wrapped around them and it seems to be working. I also wound mine to about 2ohm but the one she wrapped is 1.1 so far it's working well with the MVP. I'm happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread