Status
Not open for further replies.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Would help to know the wattage used and resistance of the coil.

I'm guessing it didn't wick properly, you hit it, and at high wattage you irreparably burned the cotton.

Easiest way to diagnose is to look at the coil itself. Is the cotton brown near the coil?

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
As others have stated above, any number of things could have caused this. Juice is one possibility, chain-vaping or too high wattage (or improperly priming the coil, meaning letting it sit in juice while taking a few long puffs for 5--10 minutes (without firing the mod) then slowly raising up the wattage a few watts at a time, taking long, slow priming puffs-- even if there is no visible vapor at first-- until you reach a good wattage for you, and there is a "recommended wattage" printed on the side of the coil, most likely, which you can be below it, but being above it is not good for coil life) as well as lots of other possibilities.

What is the resistance of the coil, and what wattage are you firing it at? Did you prime it?

Good luck, hope your next coil lasts longer. Dark, sweet, or tobacco extracted juices can cause coil life to be short, but it shouldn't be THAT short. Upping PG certainly may help...

Anna

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
OP said he/her had been using it all day with no problems. The coil was obviously primed.

I think the problem with wicking is due to using high VG juice after the mod is put away and the liquid cools down.

When I use my mod my VG warms up so much it almost turns into water. The left over heat from the coils could dry out the cotton and then when it doesn't wick properly you burn them picking it up again (especially true if you hit it @ 100-120+ watts).

When I used premade coils I always did a couple pulls before firing until I stopped seeing bubbles in the tank.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I think the problem with wicking is due to using high VG juice after the mod is put away and the liquid cools down.

When I use my mod my VG warms up so much it almost turns into water. The left over heat from the coils could dry out the cotton and then when it doesn't wick properly you burn them picking it up again (especially true if you hit it @ 100-120+ watts).

When I used premade coils I always did a couple pulls before firing until I stopped seeing bubbles in the tank.
Definite possibility. I have a vague memory of Betty giving me morning issues. Juice was only 75vg but so thick with sweeteners she would mess up my coil overnight. Of course I didn't know better and was vaping her in a STM on a stock coil. Betty is want got me into building.

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
Well you definitely burned your coil. Chain-vaping or watts set too high or vg is too high could be any one of the culprits. Or any combination of the 3. Disassemble the tank and give it a good wash, prime and install a new coil.
thanks for the help letitia, i dont used it to much, about half the complete batery charge, algo i was using it at 85 whatts and the coil is for 100 to 120 watts, i have heard of washing the coil in vodka, do you think it will work if i try?

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
Would help to know the wattage used and resistance of the coil.

I'm guessing it didn't wick properly, you hit it, and at high wattage you irreparably burned the cotton.

Easiest way to diagnose is to look at the coil itself. Is the cotton brown near the coil?
i was using my athos tank with a coil for 100 to 120 watts at 85 watts, i saw the coil but doesnt seems brown but taste in some point with large aspirations burn

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
As others have stated above, any number of things could have caused this. Juice is one possibility, chain-vaping or too high wattage (or improperly priming the coil, meaning letting it sit in juice while taking a few long puffs for 5--10 minutes (without firing the mod) then slowly raising up the wattage a few watts at a time, taking long, slow priming puffs-- even if there is no visible vapor at first-- until you reach a good wattage for you, and there is a "recommended wattage" printed on the side of the coil, most likely, which you can be below it, but being above it is not good for coil life) as well as lots of other possibilities.

What is the resistance of the coil, and what wattage are you firing it at? Did you prime it?

Good luck, hope your next coil lasts longer. Dark, sweet, or tobacco extracted juices can cause coil life to be short, but it shouldn't be THAT short. Upping PG certainly may help...

Anna
dear anna, yes i prime it, it is a .16 penta coil. i have hear about mixing a bit of watter to the juice, this because every time i use high pg e juices i start with headaches.

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
Definite possibility. I have a vague memory of Betty giving me morning issues. Juice was only 75vg but so thick with sweeteners she would mess up my coil overnight. Of course I didn't know better and was vaping her in a STM on a stock coil. Betty is want got me into building.

dear letitia, i was thinking about moving to an rta, is it easy, i dont know anything about resistances or how to make coils

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
i was using my athos tank with a coil for 100 to 120 watts at 85 watts, i saw the coil but doesnt seems brown but taste in some point with large aspirations burn

When you look in the Coil Head, do all the Coils/Cotton look the same?

Because with a Multiple Coil Coil Head, if one Coil Isn't wicking right, it can give you a Burnt Taste.

dear anna, yes i prime it, it is a .16 penta coil. i have hear about mixing a bit of watter to the juice, this because every time i use high pg e juices i start with headaches.

Yeah... A Little Bit of Water can help a High VG e-Liquid with wicking. Maybe 5 or 6 Drops per 30ml of e-Liquid.

But I would suggest trying to get to the bottom of things Before you add any Water to your e-Liquid(s).

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
thanks for the help letitia, i dont used it to much, about half the complete batery charge, algo i was using it at 85 whatts and the coil is for 100 to 120 watts, i have heard of washing the coil in vodka, do you think it will work if i try?
Not if the cotton is burned. Give it rinse in hot water and if cotton is still brown toss it.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
dear letitia, i was thinking about moving to an rta, is it easy, i dont know anything about resistances or how to make coils
It's not hard per se. Watch a couple of videos on youtube about basic coil building then come back and ask questions about what you don't understand. I'm not the one to teach you about that. I use rta's but am not good at explaining what I know. Someone else will have to pipe in about the ins and outs.

Reactions: stols001

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
Me neither I just got a Desire vape maddog rda v2 for $0.99 during a promotion. I also got a coilmaster tool kit. I did dual 3 mm coils with using 26ga kanthal and just guessed 6 wrap would be good. Ended up meter saying .32 ohms and mod saying .358 ohms. When you see the video coils look a lot bigger. I'd say with a rta the wicking is the tricky part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread