Coils caught on fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
First sentence of the OP's post. " Lost Vape 75C BF " / usually called Lost vape Therion 75c bf.
Beat you to it lol.
Also note ohms don't matter as long as your mod can handle it. The battery just powers the regulator and the regulator outputs the wattage to the coil. It doesn't know or care what its power is going too. It could be a light bulb as far as the regulator knows.

Altair49

Oct 7, 2012
KSA
thank you all for the replies.

No, I dont want to go so low, the 0.07 I ended up with freaked me out, especially after the RTA caught on fire...

So what now? I tightened all the screws, tried the RTA on another mod, a DNA 250, and confirmed the ohms are accurate. I guess I just chuck the coils and try building again?

My remaining concern is the RTA itself, could there be some issue with it that is causing fault regardless of different builds? vape quality when it did work was also subpar.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
thank you all for the replies.

No, I dont want to go so low, the 0.07 I ended up with freaked me out, especially after the RTA caught on fire...

So what now? I tightened all the screws, tried the RTA on another mod, a DNA 250, and confirmed the ohms are accurate. I guess I just chuck the coils and try building again?

My remaining concern is the RTA itself, could there be some issue with it that is causing fault regardless of different builds? vape quality when it did work was also subpar.
If it has a screw for a 510 make sure it is tight. Did you remove a wrap or tighten the coils? Cutting the legs that short would remove alot of resistance as well. Not that much I wouldn't think.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Vape quality before it caught fire? Because if your build were loose, that could have been causing the inconstant vape quality. I don't know about the RTA itself but you won't either until you rebuild it, unless there is some sign of "low quality" that you aren't mentioning other than "vape quality."

Unless it was a completely different build, I would expect vape quality to be poor before it caught fire, not excellent.

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If that were me, I'd score a spool of 26awg 316L Stainless wire and a 2.5mm drill bit, and put 10 wraps each on two coils. At about or 440-ish F in TC, you'll fog the room.

The wire and the drill bit will cost less than that pack of coils.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

There very well could be a short in the RTA itself, but I would find that to be unlikely. More likely is your coils shorted out because they touched another metal part of the atomizer base - there wasn't much room between the coils and the posts or the base floor and could have arc'd.

When you "pulse" your coils, they should only be pulsed long enough for them to begin to glow orange. The glow should start at the very middle of the coil and spread outward. If a "leg or arm" of the coil, or if the "end" of the coil glows first instead, then there is either a short or the coil is not balanced.

I would discard the coils that got burnt and start out new. Since you are new to making your own coils, play it safe and target a coil resistance of 2 ohms if using two coils (together results in 1 ohm), or 1 ohm if using one coil. With a regulated mod, you can always crank up the power to get a decent vape even with higher resistance coils. With low resistance coils (sub-ohm) you have a much smaller margin for error for creating a bad situation.

The first blog below was designed primarily for mechanical mods, but the middle portion that goes into coil building is sound for both mechanical and regulated mods. Learn to use a coil winding calculator like Steam Engine as shown in the blog. There's a tutorial video on making a simple coil, too.

Last edited:

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
There very well could be a short in the RTA itself, but I would find that to be unlikely. More likely is your coils shorted out because they touched another metal part of the atomizer base - there wasn't much room between the coils and the posts or the base floor and could have arc'd.

When you "pulse" your coils, they should only be pulsed long enough for them to begin to glow orange. The glow should start at the very middle of the coil and spread outward. If a "leg or arm" of the coil, or if the "end" of the coil glows first instead, then there is either a short or the coil is not balanced.

I would discard the coils that got burnt and start out new. Since you are new to making your own coils, play it safe and target a coil resistance of 2 ohms if using two coils (together results in 1 ohm), or 1 ohm if using one coil. With a regulated mod, you can always crank up the power to get a decent vape even with higher resistance coils. With low resistance coils (sub-ohm) you have a much smaller margin for error for creating a bad situation.

The first blog below was designed primarily for mechanical mods, but the middle portion that goes into coil building is sound for both mechanical and regulated mods. Learn to use a coil winding calculator like Steam Engine as shown in the blog. There's a tutorial video on making a simple coil, too.

This.
I use the same mod, rarely go below .2 in my single coils. The vape is smooth and watm enough and the battery doesn't take a killing.

I agree with the others, looks like the coil is touching something. May have moved it while wicking.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
This.
I use the same mod, rarely go below .2 in my single coils. The vape is smooth and watm enough and the battery doesn't take a killing.

I agree with the others, looks like the coil is touching something. May have moved it while wicking.

Massively agree with your 1st P. But there's nary a discussion of the shorting potentials of asymmetrical unoxidized multi-wire no matter how much we rake, chant or good the soundtrack…

OP's post adequately describes arcing. Note to self (it doesn't have to touch). Oh, and they can run the length of the coil, no screwdriver required.

Not everything beautiful works as advertised.

Good luck. :)

[p.s. Upping the power (voltage) increases those potentials.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread