Vape caught on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyfer8

Jul 23, 2018
Hi !
So recently I broke my reuleux and have been using my old eleaf 60w with my cleito until I bought something new. Yesterday I went to get a new coil, installed it and everything and started vaping. After about 12 hits I heard a weird noise coming from my vape, as if it was still firing but it wasn’t the case, I then noticed smoke coming from the mod and opened it and noticed the inside was on fire! I got it outside and removed the battery just in case. The vape wasn’t working great since the start but I just assumed it was simply because ya know, it’s a cheap vape. The battery is perfectly fine, even brought it to a vape shop and he said there’s nothing wrong with it. I just bought a new vape and was wondering if it’s safe to use the tank and battery that was on the vape that caught fire? Was it just a crappy vape or would one of these things been the cause for the fire? Thanks!!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The inside of the mod was on fire, flames and all, but it looked just fine when you brought it to the vape shop?? And how did you extinguish the fire with no apparent trace of damage, residue, melted plastic or metal, or anything to suggest it was acting like the Towering Inferno?

Fires typically involve the battery, and even if it were another component like the board that was burning, how did it not at least char or melt the battery wrapper?

If the fire didn't involve the tank that's probably fine although a new coil might be necessary to lose the burnt smell.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I imagine the board can overheat. Most failures resulting in smoke from the mod itself almost always involve the battery venting or failing in a catastrophic manner. Regardless I'd agree. Do not use and recycle that battery. The tank should be fine. Just check if the coil was overheated as well. Any burnt taste disassemble and wash well before mounting a new coil. Sounds like you avoided a potentially dangerous situation.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Was it in charge when this happened by the way?
I was curious about that too but I read the first post again and do not think so...

"Yesterday I went to get a new coil, installed it and everything and started vaping. After about 12 hits I heard a weird noise coming from my vape, as if it was still firing but it wasn’t the case, I then noticed smoke coming from the mod and opened it and noticed the inside was on fire! "

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hi !
So recently I broke my reuleux and have been using my old eleaf 60w with my cleito until I bought something new. Yesterday I went to get a new coil, installed it and everything and started vaping. After about 12 hits I heard a weird noise coming from my vape, as if it was still firing but it wasn’t the case, I then noticed smoke coming from the mod and opened it and noticed the inside was on fire! I got it outside and removed the battery just in case. The vape wasn’t working great since the start but I just assumed it was simply because ya know, it’s a cheap vape. The battery is perfectly fine, even brought it to a vape shop and he said there’s nothing wrong with it. I just bought a new vape and was wondering if it’s safe to use the tank and battery that was on the vape that caught fire? Was it just a crappy vape or would one of these things been the cause for the fire? Thanks!!

Sounds to me like a short or a blown capacitor. In any case, I agree with what others have said... it's not worth the risk to keep using the battery. for $5-$10/battery, I'd rather have peace of mind than to risk the cost of a McDonalds Value meal. :)

For the mod, get a new one, preferably not the same kind you got. For the battery, I'd chunk it just for safety. for the atomizer... thoroughly clean it, then it should be fine. Double check the 510 center pin for damages, the heat may have melted the insulator. Also, as a safety measure, I would double check the resistance first before using the atomizer.. just in case.

VapingintheGTA

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2016
GTA
Hi !
So recently I broke my reuleux and have been using my old eleaf 60w with my cleito until I bought something new. The vape wasn’t working great since the start but I Thanks!!

Welcome to ECF Jennifer! I noticed that you joined yesterday and I wanted to thank you for posting, we all learn a little something when we read posts such as yours...see the brilliant post by @NealBJr , I forgot about the plastic thing inside the 520 pin. I hope to see ya around more:)
Vonnie

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
No I did not bring the vape to the vape shop, there wasn’t any flames coming out of the mod, but It was orange and smoking, when I got it outside and removed everything it eventually the fire just stopped. I brought the battery to the vape shop. I didn’t bother with the actually vape.
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have been using my Eleaf Istick for more than two years and it's very dependable. Might be time to try another mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread