Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don’t have one but I’ve got some guesses. The idea I think is that the whole point of the device is to be able to pretrim your coil legs to a known and even length. This means that after you trim the coil legs to length AND you know the right height to make them for that particular atty, you can just drop the coil in and it will be at the right height.

Is the problem that you can’t get a coil whose legs point in the same direction (as is needed for postless coils) into the thing? That would be some serious design stupidity on the part of the company.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
348E2911-0D2C-4F98-B55C-CD75C6E70E41.jpeg
It’s pretty easy to use when determining leg length by matching up the width of the post and using that guide to snip the legs. Seems to work well although that’s not what I wanted it for.

On one side it has these slots for measuring the posts but I can’t figure out what or how to measure to determine the leg length on postless decks. I get a bit aggravated trying to figure out how much to snip off.

I’m stumped. I just can’t watch one more coily video lol!!

Oh well it was a few dollars.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I have the clone & it works as @bombastinator suggests in his first paragraph.

It works well once you know the length both legs can be cut evenly. The slots allow you to insert the legs easily.

Yep I got that part down but what do you use to determine the leg length of a postless deck? In the above example it’s by measuring the width of the posts to determine leg length as shown in the attached pic.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
View attachment 797785 It’s pretty easy to use when determining leg length by matching up the width of the post and using that guide to snip the legs. Seems to work well although that’s not what I wanted it for.

On one side it has these slots for measuring the posts but I can’t figure out what or how to measure to determine the leg length on postless decks. I get a bit aggravated trying to figure out how much to snip off.

I’m stumped. I just can’t watch one more coily video lol!!

Oh well it was a few dollars.
The tool doesn’t help you determine leg lengths for postless decks, only for decks with posts. You have to know the length beforehand.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
It's probably going to take some trial and error with the postless deck. You might be able to guesstimate how long they need to be by visualizing just how deep that hole is. I have a postless deck rda and I would probably start off with the 4mm slot if I had that tool.

What rda is it? Someone here might have experience with it.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
If by chance you're RDA came with pre-cut coils you can use them as a guide. I usually stick the legs of my newly made coil into the postless deck and see where it sits, then I judge from there. A similar tool came with my Serpent Elevate and they were kind enough to mark the holes for that RTA. Once I figure out the proper length for my other coils/attys I mark the tool or write it down. On mine, each length has 4 holes (not just 2) to make it easier to fit your coil in and get an even cut because if you twist the legs to fit them in 2 vertical holes you'll get an uneven cut.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
What I've done is when I first use it on a new RDA, cut the legs too long, and then move down a notch or two at a time until they are just right.

Then I make a note of the length I've used for that RDA. I just keep a simple notepad file on my desktop that has coil wrap/ohms, etc and added a section for coily lengths for different RDAs.

Thanks for the suggestion on the coily DB online. I'll have to look that up. Didn't know it existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread