Cold or Allergy ? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann-

Mar 16, 2019
Hi everyone,

Il try and keep it short :)
It propbably won’t happen.

Basically this is my third attempt at vaping. The first time I managed for 1 week (without cigs) and I got really bad chest pains which lasted for around 3 weeks. The second time last 5 days. I had the odd cigarette and began to feel ill. (smokers flu) and just stopped.
This time I have managed 2weeks without any cigs, and I want to keep going however...

First week the dry mouth was something else. I’ve never drunk so much water!
And in my 7-14 days I became ill with a cold

Not sure if it’s of related or nic overdose or what

Might I add I’m slightly stressed atm anyway....

I’ve been smoking 12mg 50/50 on a innokin t18e which I realise now maybe I should try a 6mg or lower

The symptoms I’m having are;
Tinnitus (more than usual)
Insomnia
Loss of apitite
Dry mouth (now cleared)
Dry lips
Stuffy nose
Nose bleeds
Odd itchiness
General feeling like crap (cold)

Any thoughts would be great help. Just annoying trying to figure out if it’s a cold and feeling run down. Or if it’s the vape because there’s so many things I’m trying to get my head around vg/pg, flavours, strengths, coils, how to actually vape because it’s different to smoking. Knowing when you’ve had enough kinda thing. If I need more vg than pg then it’s having to spend more money on a new vape

Thanks

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Some people have quit-related issues and there’s info somewhere on the forum about that. For me, I coughed whenever I’d quit smoking, which I did several times over the years without vaping. And I coughed for a couple weeks with vaping as well. Just the lungs clearing out.

Most of your symptoms sound rather benign ( although uncomfortable, I imagine) and may be due to quitting, vaping, or just whatever bug is going around. I mean in many places, it’s that time of year. Between the germs and the cold a lot of people feel like crap. But any sort of chest pain or other alarming things should be discussed with your doctor, please.

Dann-

Mar 16, 2019
Some people have quit-related issues and there’s info somewhere on the forum about that. For me, I coughed whenever I’d quit smoking, which I did several times over the years without vaping. And I coughed for a couple weeks with vaping as well. Just the lungs clearing out.

Most of your symptoms sound rather benign ( although uncomfortable, I imagine) and may be due to quitting, vaping, or just whatever bug is going around. I mean in many places, it’s that time of year. Between the germs and the cold a lot of people feel like crap. But any sort of chest pain or other alarming things should be discussed with your doctor, please.
Hi DeloresRose,
Thankyou for taking the time to respond.

Chest pains I went to the doctor and he said it was nothing. I mentioned the vaping didn’t seem phased. This time round I’ve had no chest pains and been a cold. I personally think I’m just run down and just so happened the time I started vaping.

I found out yesterday that my eliquid should be lasting a lot longer. So I’m getting a lot more nicotine than I should. It was something like 10ml x 12mg = 112 cigs or something like that. And I would normally just smoke around 8-15ish a day

Reactions: DeloresRose

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Medical questions are best answered by medical professionals, go see a doctor for the symptoms you currently have.

As far as e liquid is concerned, the symptoms of too much nic are easy to detect and go away fairly quickly. Like within a few minutes to maybe an hour. Dizziness, nausea, sweats, ears ringing, stomach ache etc.

If that is the cause, vape less or use lower nic mg/ml liquids.
Nic absorption rate vaping vs smoking is not 1-1, meaning if you vape 10ml of 12 mg/ml nic your body did not absorb 120 mg of nic.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Hi DeloresRose,
Thankyou for taking the time to respond.

Chest pains I went to the doctor and he said it was nothing. I mentioned the vaping didn’t seem phased. This time round I’ve had no chest pains and been a cold. I personally think I’m just run down and just so happened the time I started vaping.

I found out yesterday that my eliquid should be lasting a lot longer. So I’m getting a lot more nicotine than I should. It was something like 10ml x 12mg = 112 cigs or something like that. And I would normally just smoke around 8-15ish a day

It’s really hard to determine how much nic from cigarettes equals nic from vaping, so don’t panic about that.

You can search the forum for symptoms of too much nic. For me, it’s always been a headache, one that goes away really quickly with a drink of water ( which is not ever how other headaches subside in my experience).

Just get enough nic to keep your cravings at bay. You’re really not vaping an insanely high amount, and likely, you’ll reduce that over time.

I started out around 10mlsx24mg as a 1.5-2 pack a day smoker, so your consumption seems pretty normal to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Craving cigarettes, mental fog, constipation, irritability, excessive hunger, depression, headaches, "quitters flu", and more are typical symptoms of quitting smoking.

Nose bleeds are far less common,
but not unheard of.

• " This is the third time I have quit smoking and every time I experience heavy nosebleeds around week 3. Seems to me it is likely a normal symptom though exactly what causes it I have yet to find an answer for"
from this site:

Nose bleeds

Vaping will dehydrate you to some extent, so drinking more water is something most vapers do and the issue is usually alleviated.

But it sounds like your having issues that relate to illness at the same time.

It could just be that you got sick at the same time you quit, or a quitters flu is messing with everything else.

My advice is to sit and speak with your doctor. Make sure what he thinks.

If you have an allergy to any aspect of vaping you can change it to suit your needs. If you have a VG allergy you can switch to 100% PG or vice versa. If a particular flavoring is messing with you, you can stop vaping that flavor, and so forth.

But before we jump to potential conclusions, whether it's typical quit symptoms, illness or allergy, you should speak to your doctor.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi everyone,

Il try and keep it short :)
It propbably won’t happen.

Basically this is my third attempt at vaping. The first time I managed for 1 week (without cigs) and I got really bad chest pains which lasted for around 3 weeks. The second time last 5 days. I had the odd cigarette and began to feel ill. (smokers flu) and just stopped.
This time I have managed 2weeks without any cigs, and I want to keep going however...

First week the dry mouth was something else. I’ve never drunk so much water!
And in my 7-14 days I became ill with a cold

Not sure if it’s of related or nic overdose or what

Might I add I’m slightly stressed atm anyway....

I’ve been smoking 12mg 50/50 on a innokin t18e which I realise now maybe I should try a 6mg or lower

The symptoms I’m having are;
Tinnitus (more than usual)
Insomnia
Loss of apitite
Dry mouth (now cleared)
Dry lips
Stuffy nose
Nose bleeds
Odd itchiness
General feeling like crap (cold)

Any thoughts would be great help. Just annoying trying to figure out if it’s a cold and feeling run down. Or if it’s the vape because there’s so many things I’m trying to get my head around vg/pg, flavours, strengths, coils, how to actually vape because it’s different to smoking. Knowing when you’ve had enough kinda thing. If I need more vg than pg then it’s having to spend more money on a new vape

Thanks

Nicotine levels have to do with how much you used to smoke and what you consumption levels are with vaping.

Your vaping a 1.5 ohm coil @14 watts, from what I see online.

At that rate if you were a 2PAD smoker you could easily vape 25mg nicotine salts, if not higher...

I have my husband vaping a pod mod at 50mg, although his wattage is a little less than yours, and he was a 1 PAD smoker.

If I were you I'd increase my nicotine levels - not decrease it.

try a bottle of 25 mg salts. It's my bet some of your symptoms will disappear..

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I'm just stopping by to agree with everyone else. I'd normally say to see a doctor if you're worried about your health (especially with chest pains), but you've wisely already done so. Pretty much all the symptoms you've listed are often cold-related (tinnitus gets worse with congestion, loss of appetite and the rest are pretty common too). The insomnia might have more to do with quitting. Cigarettes contain a lot of psychoactive components besides nicotine, so it's not unusual to get stuck with a few quitting-smoking symptoms when you switch.

About the nicotine levels, I'm with all the folks who said don't worry about it. Not only do you absorb less of the nicotine from vaping than from cigarettes, but some of the psychoactive substances I mentioned earlier seem to enhance the effects of nicotine.

There's a lack of good information about nicotine alone as previous studies have almost all looked at the combined results of nicotine and smoking, but what little we do know seems to indicate that nicotine itself isn't terribly harmful at vaping levels (barring certain circulatory conditions, as it is a vasoconstrictor). My advice, whatever it's worth, is to take your nicotine levels as high as you need to to get off the cigarettes. It might help to know that a lot of people find it surprisingly easy to lower their nicotine levels after they've adjusted to the switch. It just seems to take more nicotine to get over the hump of dropping cigarettes.

Good luck!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm just stopping by to agree with everyone else. I'd normally say to see a doctor if you're worried about your health (especially with chest pains), but you've wisely already done so. Pretty much all the symptoms you've listed are often cold-related (tinnitus gets worse with congestion, loss of appetite and the rest are pretty common too). The insomnia might have more to do with quitting. Cigarettes contain a lot of psychoactive components besides nicotine, so it's not unusual to get stuck with a few quitting-smoking symptoms when you switch.

About the nicotine levels, I'm with all the folks who said don't worry about it. Not only do you absorb less of the nicotine from vaping than from cigarettes, but some of the psychoactive substances I mentioned earlier seem to enhance the effects of nicotine.

There's a lack of good information about nicotine alone as previous studies have almost all looked at the combined results of nicotine and smoking, but what little we do know seems to indicate that nicotine itself isn't terribly harmful at vaping levels (barring certain circulatory conditions, as it is a vasoconstrictor). My advice, whatever it's worth, is to take your nicotine levels as high as you need to to get off the cigarettes. It might help to know that a lot of people find it surprisingly easy to lower their nicotine levels after they've adjusted to the switch. It just seems to take more nicotine to get over the hump of dropping cigarettes.

Good luck!
I’m going to agree with @Hawise ’s agreement.

Reactions: Hawise
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread