The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Commercials

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by er767, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. er767

er767 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2012
    nj
    I just saw a commercial for a nicotine patch. I think someone should make a commercial for vaping as a cessation activity. Maybe it will help spread the joy!!

2. jcco

jcco Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Yes, & too bad every e-cig commercial is from BT....

3. searcher

searcher Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2009
    Bossier City, La
    No Way. Claim that e-cigs are a pharma product and we will be shut down tomorrow.

4. Rat2chat2

Rat2chat2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Fantasy Island
    I think ecf should make a commercial. . . kill two birds with one stone kinda thing. Just my 3¢ (inflation).

5. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Can't do that - unless you want them pulled from the market to go through a 10 year study and approval process.

6. lamarrk

lamarrk ECF Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

EXACTLY RIGHT! Cessation claims moves them into the pharmaceutical category! We do NOT want that to happen.
    It's bad enough that politicians are trying to lump e-cigs in with regular cigarettes and smoking so they can heap huge "sin" taxes on them.

7. philoshop

philoshop Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    The manufacturers aren't allowed to make those claims, but I believe 'we the people' are still free to do so as long as there is no reference to a specific product.

8. Steamix

Steamix Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    That's true. Like a 'feature' about vapers and their experiences.

Some even dare call it 'documentary' , though we all now that a lot of these clips about sumthin or someone are barely disguised promo pieces ...

9. catlady60

catlady60 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2013
    Nazareth, PA
    You cannot technically tout vaping as a cessation device, but you can say something like this: "An alternative to smoking that may cause quitting as a side effect."

10. er767

er767 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2012
    nj
    Not even brand specific, but more people need to be made aware that it's out there. Maybe a psa or something?

11. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Presenting it as THR leads to being labeled as a smoking cessation product and, therefore, being regulated.

But are the patch and/or gum regulated?

12. philoshop

Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    I could go on TV and say that wearing purple underwear helped me to quit smoking. I'd get into trouble though if I claimed that purple Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear is a smoking cessation product.

13. BlkWolfMidnight

BlkWolfMidnight Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Howdy,

I'd say the first thing in raising public awareness is to get together with CASAA and direct some of that passion to helping protect E-Cigs from becoming regulated as Tobacco cessation device. Once were in the clear and the FDA has been placated then an ad would not be a bad thing but for now, it would be. You can also bring awareness by offering it as an alternative (not Cessation device or tobacco supplement product) to smoking to help folks around you. There are enough people that vape that if everyone talked to 1 person a week the word would spread faster then any ad could do.

Just a thought.

14. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    The second you start claiming it's a smoking cessation device, it falls under the purview of the FDA as you're now making a medical claim. People need to realize this is the LAST thing that we want to happen.

15. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Yes, I am rather cognizant of how I present vaping among others. I am willing to explain vaping at the "drop of a dime", but I don't push it down anyone's throat.

I also have written letters of my story to the local papers as an opinion. Vaping is a definite alternative.

16. philoshop

Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    Very true.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of something like CASAA's testimonials project being seen by more people. The information/content in that project is already 'published' in the sense that it is freely available to all. Would there be harm in simply having more people see it?

ETA: As long as the statements are kept to "Vaping helped me to quit.", and don't stray into "Vaping will help you to quit." I'm having difficulty seeing any potential harm.

17. Robino1

Robino1 Resting in Peace ECF Veteran

It is very true that we, as consumers, can say that vaping has the added benefit of quitting smoking for each of us personally.

We really cannot make the claim that vaping will make you quit smoking. In truth, not everyone that vapes has quit smoking. Yes, it ups the odds that you can quit, but it is not a guaranteed method.

CASAA's stance has been that: as consumers, we can make the claim that vaping has helped us quit smoking. Vendors CANNOT say that e-cigs will help you quit smoking.

In other words, I can make that claim because, for me, it is a true statement. I cannot make the claim that everyone that tries it will stop smoking.

That is one of the reasons this project (*********************************************************************************************) is so VERY important. It is gathering ALL of our individual stories making this claim.

I agree, Philoshop, somehow this project: ********************************************************************************************* really needs to be seen by the general public.

18. Mogar

Mogar Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2014
    Dallas TX
    Funny, I could have sworn I saw blue on a commercial saying it was being used by the actor to stop smoking analogs (not their words).

19. philoshop

Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    It's difficult to counter-attack propaganda if no one hears your message..

20. Robino1

Robino1 Resting in Peace ECF Veteran

Trying to figure out how to get the message out without crossing that line, is proving to be very tricky. Also, the funds it requires.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.