Status
Not open for further replies.

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA
I just saw a commercial for a nicotine patch. I think someone should make a commercial for vaping as a cessation activity. Maybe it will help spread the joy!!

No Way. Claim that e-cigs are a pharma product and we will be shut down tomorrow.

Can't do that - unless you want them pulled from the market to go through a 10 year study and approval process.

EXACTLY RIGHT! Cessation claims moves them into the pharmaceutical category! We do NOT want that to happen.
It's bad enough that politicians are trying to lump e-cigs in with regular cigarettes and smoking so they can heap huge "sin" taxes on them.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
The manufacturers aren't allowed to make those claims, but I believe 'we the people' are still free to do so as long as there is no reference to a specific product.

That's true. Like a 'feature' about vapers and their experiences.

Some even dare call it 'documentary' , though we all now that a lot of these clips about sumthin or someone are barely disguised promo pieces ...

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
I just saw a commercial for a nicotine patch. I think someone should make a commercial for vaping as a cessation activity. Maybe it will help spread the joy!!

You cannot technically tout vaping as a cessation device, but you can say something like this: "An alternative to smoking that may cause quitting as a side effect."

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Howdy,

I'd say the first thing in raising public awareness is to get together with CASAA and direct some of that passion to helping protect E-Cigs from becoming regulated as Tobacco cessation device. Once were in the clear and the FDA has been placated then an ad would not be a bad thing but for now, it would be. You can also bring awareness by offering it as an alternative (not Cessation device or tobacco supplement product) to smoking to help folks around you. There are enough people that vape that if everyone talked to 1 person a week the word would spread faster then any ad could do.

Just a thought.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
The second you start claiming it's a smoking cessation device, it falls under the purview of the FDA as you're now making a medical claim. People need to realize this is the LAST thing that we want to happen.

Very true.
I'm thinking more along the lines of something like CASAA's testimonials project being seen by more people. The information/content in that project is already 'published' in the sense that it is freely available to all. Would there be harm in simply having more people see it?

ETA: As long as the statements are kept to "Vaping helped me to quit.", and don't stray into "Vaping will help you to quit." I'm having difficulty seeing any potential harm.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
It is very true that we, as consumers, can say that vaping has the added benefit of quitting smoking for each of us personally.

We really cannot make the claim that vaping will make you quit smoking. In truth, not everyone that vapes has quit smoking. Yes, it ups the odds that you can quit, but it is not a guaranteed method.

CASAA's stance has been that: as consumers, we can make the claim that vaping has helped us quit smoking. Vendors CANNOT say that e-cigs will help you quit smoking.

In other words, I can make that claim because, for me, it is a true statement. I cannot make the claim that everyone that tries it will stop smoking.

That is one of the reasons this project (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/casaa/646417-relaunch-casaas-testimonials-project.html) is so VERY important. It is gathering ALL of our individual stories making this claim.

I agree, Philoshop, somehow this project: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/casaa/646417-relaunch-casaas-testimonials-project.html really needs to be seen by the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread