Competition builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Nice, treehead.. just goes to show how you don't have to do anything fancy.. just understand physics a little. Lol.

And I won't do "sleeper" coils. I'm glad I found out the original name. That makes sense..:)

Thanks brother :D, yep just give me some batteries, a good build, and some copper long enough to connect them and I'll compete with anybody! :p And it's no big deal man, "sleeper" coils does sound a bit cooler than "continuous" anyway lol, I just noticed that name floating around lately. Rip's a cool guy in my opinion, I don't know why vapers give him crap, I'm guessing jealousy hehe.

Sleepers are worth some kudos in my eyes though, I'm not sure if they have a drastic result in performance, but I do know they're hard as hell to get purdy! :lol:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Wow that's impressive treehead I might have to give that a shot sometime thanks for the pics.

No problem rodeo! Thanks man, yeah go for it, just make sure you got the amps, and that the batteries are "married" :D.

I get 441W. (Which, for the record is whattheF territory even by my standards).
What did I miss? Is that thing a quad 18650 in series/parallel?!?!
Actually, none of my math is working ATM. I'm getting 4.2V @ 0.04 ohm = 441W and 105A. Quad parallel VTC batteries? Tree, what have you done?!

:lol: Your totally right for it being in whattheF territory lol, it's not exactly an ADVape for me either :p. Nor do I recommend it for anyone who has any doubt about anything in regards to building.

But this is safe I assure you, those are 2 ("married") Sony 18650VTC5's, which have a safe 8 second pulse discharge of 60amps. And I ran both in parallel so it combines their amps for 120amps combined, so I actually had about 15 amps of safety net left over on this build (I don't think I'd ever use the full burst for 2 batteries ever simply for safety reasons, even though they're paired from when I bought them, it's good to leave some amperage in case they aren't perfectly balanced).

So really I could vape this (admittedly ridiculous) build for 8 seconds at a time (safely too) which I think would be impossible for even the toughest lungs bahaha, I took maybe a 4 second pull at the longest for the actual competition, but 2 seconds max was perfect just for casual vaping/showing off at the vape lounge. Believe me though, I realize how extreme this build is and would never vape it for real, and you can tell if the batteries aren't liking the situation through their heat, and this build didn't even get luke warm! :) If any of my batteries ever get warm, that's when I tear out the current build and try again, but these VTC5's are pretty capable little batteries. (Since then I've been using the 26650VT's, which have a continuous of 50amps, and technically a 125amp burst, which I won't go that close too either.)

So if you have some VTC5's (or 4's, they're identical basically), you can build a 60amp build for them, just be careful and accurate. It's been tested by me, and many in the vaping world that it's a valid burst rating. I used 105amps for my build, and had 120amps at my disposal in parallel, sorry to worry ya :p. Right now I'm building a dual 26650 box, so I'll have even more of broad amp limit. I almost certainly won't go any higher than 120amps, but it's nice to have that overkill in my opinion :).

Hope that helps brother! :toast:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Just got my 18ga Nichrome 80 in guys, and it's pretty dope so far. Unless you've got some dual battery power, it's not (from what I've experienced) as good a performer in the wider diameter coils, but on a 10 wrap, 1/16th", dual micro-coil setup it's instant, dense clouds.

What the major benefit of it is, is when you fire the button, it IMMEDIATELY starts making fine vapor (no "spitting", all fluffy vapor even before airflow gets to it!) from the middle outwards, and the longer you hold the button, the more intense the "fine" vapor production gets as the outer wraps get up to heat as well. I've set up my build so that the wicking is through, and beneath the coil, but right in the middle (where the heat immediately starts), I've depressed the wick just a bit, maybe enough to fit a toothpick between the center of the coil, and the wicking. This creates a tiny "pool" of ejuice right below the hottest part of the coils, and since I've done that, I've been getting really consistant, and really dry-hit resistant vapes! :D

It may just be the asmodus's deep 4ml drip well, but I've been able to take the longest pulls ever on any build I've made, which I think is the key to most competitions. If you can make a build that starts making the vapor immediately (heats up super fast), AND set it up so that you can harp on that build for a long deep breath, that's all that's needed to make a cloud the size of your body :p.

The best part is, this is an amazing build to vape on all day too, not just a pointless cloud rig. It's got great micro-coil flavor, probably because of the ridiculous surface area of the 18ga nichrome, the thin ID/OD coil NEVER "spits" hot drops of eliquid (great if you have massive airflow, otherwise you end up drinking the "spit", which is what I got with the doge dripper alot unfortunately :/, these 1/16th" 18ga coils would be perfect for the doge btw), it heats up INSTANTANEOUSLY (1 second pulls are huge with this one), and the best part is you get gobs of dense and fluffy vapor, and you can just keep pulling longer and longer without a dry hit. Bliss...

Dual 1/16th" micro-coils, 10 wraps of 18ga Nichrome 80 each, wicked with KGD magic, and ohms at 0.08. (airflow is 10 x 5/64th" holes, 5 per side horizontal)

zhrAbra.jpg

1Nnx3Qd.jpg

(Coils were centered in front of airflow.)
SVsF078.jpg

5kjxUuj.jpg

(I had to take this pic immediately after firing lol.)
XptnAiU.jpg

HjJqALc.jpg

I can't hold the camera back far enough lol, I guess that's sign a decent build hehe. :vapor:

Last edited:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Rip's a cool guy in my opinion, I don't know why vapers give him crap, I'm guessing jealousy hehe.

Sleepers are worth some kudos in my eyes though, I'm not sure if they have a drastic result in performance, but I do know they're hard as hell to get purdy! :lol:

Probably due to the typical vaper..and really person. I love this game(and a few other games). He loves this game. Obviously you're one of the same(you probably love my game, I bet geometry is SICK in AK)..but yeah, as long as your atty can land multiple legs properly..I don't see the point in wasting the time of a sleeper/continuous/one wire is one of coil..for your health!..maybe on an OG atty..but most good new atomizers, you can't, or the post holes are like 8mm wide. If I built my origen horizontally, I probably would try one out, but verticals need to be nice and pressed before the build..and ain't nobody got time for all that..I'm not one for twisting legs, after they're heated.

I don't vape at high wattages really ever anymore...getting regulated 50 Watts+, and not having to get into thicker wires (higher calories: 4.18 Joules per 1-calorie..1 Joule= 1 Watt for a second.

But if I used a mech, I'd be pushing the boundaries, due to the trade for thicker wire, for more power..I feel ashamed to say these things..:/ A crappy chinese box mod put dust on all my battery tubes..oh well..got 2 for the price of one.

I need a bottom feeder...cuz drippers are bad for me sometimes..a lot of times..guaranteed to be a bad idea for Friday&Saturday..cuz I love this game.

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
Ya a bottom feed would be nice and thanks fir the pics and info everyone this has to be one of the more fun threads I've started, and I have learned a lot but one of my big things is hire to get my Zeus box to stop dry hitting at 120 watts I think I could cloud out a mall then in a few minutes.
Vapergate Wicking Technique & Cotton Preparation - YouTube

This wicking method has reduced my dry hits tremendously. It also doesn't go from awesome to (ACK WtheF I never wanna vape again) in 0.0001 seconds. It'll slowly start to dry out. I'll get twice as many pulls per drip too. I swear it makes juice last longer too, as in more pulls per drop.

Also look up the iTeo wicking method. Some people like it better but the Yosh is easier for me and uses less juice. Check post #51 of this thread for a good pic tutorial on the iTeo.

Last edited:

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
No problem rodeo! Thanks man, yeah go for it, just make sure you got the amps, and that the batteries are "married" :D.

:lol: Your totally right for it being in whattheF territory lol, it's not exactly an ADVape for me either :p. Nor do I recommend it for anyone who has any doubt about anything in regards to building.

But this is safe I assure you, those are 2 ("married") Sony 18650VTC5's, which have a safe 8 second pulse discharge of 60amps. And I ran both in parallel so it combines their amps for 120amps combined, so I actually had about 15 amps of safety net left over on this build (I don't think I'd ever use the full burst for 2 batteries ever simply for safety reasons, even though they're paired from when I bought them, it's good to leave some amperage in case they aren't perfectly balanced).

So really I could vape this (admittedly ridiculous) build for 8 seconds at a time (safely too) which I think would be impossible for even the toughest lungs bahaha, I took maybe a 4 second pull at the longest for the actual competition, but 2 seconds max was perfect just for casual vaping/showing off at the vape lounge. Believe me though, I realize how extreme this build is and would never vape it for real, and you can tell if the batteries aren't liking the situation through their heat, and this build didn't even get luke warm! :) If any of my batteries ever get warm, that's when I tear out the current build and try again, but these VTC5's are pretty capable little batteries. (Since then I've been using the 26650VT's, which have a continuous of 50amps, and technically a 125amp burst, which I won't go that close too either.)

So if you have some VTC5's (or 4's, they're identical basically), you can build a 60amp build for them, just be careful and accurate. It's been tested by me, and many in the vaping world that it's a valid burst rating. I used 105amps for my build, and had 120amps at my disposal in parallel, sorry to worry ya :p. Right now I'm building a dual 26650 box, so I'll have even more of broad amp limit. I almost certainly won't go any higher than 120amps, but it's nice to have that overkill in my opinion :).

Hope that helps brother! :toast:

I didn't know the pulse rating was that high. Excellent news. Glad you thought it out ahead of time. Had to go back and look at your switch after reading that post. Did you adapt a tube mech button to your box? There's no momentary in the world (that's smaller than your entire box) that would handle that amperage for more than a couple pulses. Looks like a small break in the negative "lead" (love your wiring BTW) that's completed my the Mech Button. True?

rodeo302

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2014
Minnesota
Vapergate Wicking Technique & Cotton Preparation - YouTube

This wicking method has reduced my dry hits tremendously. It also doesn't go from awesome to (ACK WtheF I never wanna vape again) in 0.0001 seconds. It'll slowly start to dry out. I'll get twice as many pulls per drip too. I swear it makes juice last longer too, as in more pulls per drop.

Also look up the iTeo wicking method. Some people like it better but the Yosh is easier for me and uses less juice. Check post #51 of this thread for a good pic tutorial on the iTeo.
ITeo wicking is just basically pulling it thru the coil and tucking it underneath if I saw it correctly am I right?

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
ITeo wicking is just basically pulling it thru the coil and tucking it underneath if I saw it correctly am I right?
No..it is a rolling method, allowing more cotton to be packed in the coil.

I get a thin, but not the thinnest it can go, piece of rolled cotton, and do the same thing basically..roll it..and I've had plenty of training on rolling, not folding..

He tucks his tails under his coil, but notice the airspace around the coil..I wouldn't recommend tucking the tails of the wick underneath the coil if they choke out the coil by being too close..

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA

Like SuspectK said, it's the rolling that's important. You wet the side of the cotton you're starting with (I had to wet a few more times along the way) and you end up rolling a damp to wet wick. You end up with a full width of cotton (vs the 25% width I used to use) that'll fit into a 1/8" coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread