The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Competition builds

Discussion in 'Cloud Chasers' started by rodeo302, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. westonG

westonG Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 27, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    yeah man the thing is a beast of an atty, got the doge coming so well see how that is too

2. rodeo302

rodeo302 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 10, 2014
    Minnesota
    Ya is love to find out if you guys can't tell I'm a cloud chaser since no matter what I do how I build my coils or what atty/tank I use I can't taste anything except for blackbird by 503 so cloud it up lol.

3. suspectK

suspectK Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Second single coil...tighter twisted wire takes a lot to press.. I'm working on setting up something to evenly heat the wire, cuz torching caused easy breaks wrapping the coil.

I didn't have any 28awg builds, so I did this on my origen, jumping Jesus on a pogo stick..this build- The negative leg and/or legs kept popping of... since it's parallel, and unraveled, it was a nightmare. It popped off literally 20 times on one side...unraveled by 3wraps one time it did also.. just posting..cuz it gave me results..regardless of the sloppiness...ending up having a hot spot that needed to be compressed, but it got thrown out... had just enough 28awg to pull it off..lol. This same wrap count, but 3mm ID..hope it works well with regulated mods..I am getting the IPV3-after they remove the touch sensor. Logical choice for a mech user..I build around 0.1-0.6 Ohms on a mech, so I can use the same builds...pretty much the full range, no hassle.. I really want a DNA40 though..but I really like the vape I get from when >1/8" airholes are perfect-o..
    [​IMG]
    This is the stuff of miracles.. I don't know how I got it this close after the endeavor..
    [​IMG]
    I posted this on VU.. I'll have to go there to see what wattage I have it going at...30-40 Watts..
    [​IMG]

Nice man.. It really is amazing what a difference it makes..

I am nervous about PG particularly, but there is a certain liquid coating your lungs that actually allows oxygen to be absorbed. Biology/medical isn't my field, so I don't know what I'm really talking about.

4. rodeo302

Jun 10, 2014
    Minnesota
    well I got a new mod now to chase with its called the Zeus box it has the raptor 120 in it and there is no way it can be ran at the full wattage without an instant dry hit since my wicking won't keep up.

5. Uncletattoowhat

Uncletattoowhat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2014
    Poquoson, VA
    A: raptor boxes are adjustable Voltage, not Wattage.
    B: it CAN Be cranked all the way up if you build higher resistance coils
    C: these devices are not designed to super sub ohm on.
    D: 120w means the chip itself can handle up to 120w before frying itself. Ohm's law will tell you the lowest you should build at 6v is 0.3ohms.

6. rodeo302

Jun 10, 2014
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the heads up but I already did the research before I picked it up when I got the .3 build in it it's always a dry hit if I got it crashed to 6 volts and I'm fine not running it maxed out.

7. treehead

treehead Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2014
    Anchorage, AK, USA
    HERE'S my successful competition build that I actually took the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP WITH :D. (Alaska) And let me tell you, with some Cloud Science Alpha juice, this thing SMASHED! :evil: (This is almost a guaranteed win with dual Sony VT's, in Alaska anyway :p.)

Below is what a frankly bad cloud from it looks like, my competition pulls were much bigger, and I couldn't quite capture the size of the clouds alone with my phone camera, but they were about as tall as me, and double my width at least!

[​IMG]

It was a quad-coil, made from 20ga GPLAT Haywire (important, this wire kicks ....!, 20 or 18ga Nichrome is also just as good I've discovered), 7 perfect wraps each, around a diameter slightly smaller than 5/64th's. It ohmed out to 0.04 (yes I know, I had the amps for it trust me, it's not exactly my all day vape anyway lol).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the beauty's fired up, which would fire up immediately with a fury might I add. Nice and even, from the center out, all 4 in harmony of course.

[​IMG]

Wicked tightly with Kho Gen Do, more like "tighter than usual", because the massive heat will actually shrink it down to perfect size. Plus, you want it a little snug when cloud chasing for max wick reservoir, each side is sharing one wick (one wick through 2 coils), I've found this substantially helps even wicking, and a super-duper light cotton cloud wedged underneat each coil, just light enough to keep it's form and hold the juice to the coils.

[​IMG]

Here's the airflow I'm working with, 4x 1/16th" cyclops slots, about 1/4 of an inch long, with a cyclone airflow off at a 45 degree angle. Each coil has it's own cyclops slot, and it's own cyclone hole to thoroughly mix up that dense vapor. Having the coils RIGHT in front of the airflow is so important it's not funny. I think each coil should have an airflow hole about the size of itself, and anymore is just fluffing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The product is this insane, dense monster of a cloud! (Just the vapor production by itself is nearly as big as a kayfuns actual cloud :lol:) And with each coil basically getting it's own 2.1 volts, it gets this angry the SECOND you fire it, I didn't let'er fire up before taking this pic. I also didn't want sizzling juice spitting all over my arm, this thing gets cookin'!)

[​IMG]

Having a nice fat drip tip is almost a must for this kind of build, otherwise alot of the density is condensated on a skinny DT, so I made my own top cap out of an ancient nemesis tube, looks pretty nice if I do say so myself. Below that pic is my ugly frankenstein of a homemade box mod, affectionately titled the "outhouse". It may look...well like an outhouse, but it's made of super-conductive (pure) silver contacts, and some thick copper sheet I made into the "wiring". I was just going to use copper wire, but I wanted the thickest body I could get to transfer all that current, and this thing did the trick, it hits as hard as it is ugly...very. :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was kinda funny entering in the competition against some $300 mods, some regulated, some cloud atty's like the Doge/Mutation X that were ready to go stock, and my ugly homemade box (I'm making a nicer looking one now, trusty'ol frankenstein won't be my box of choice anymore lol), and 26650 Tobh clone (amazing atty btw) take the cake by quite a margin too.

They even gave me a gift card! :D Which was awesome, because I needed some more Gplat and Cloud Science Alpha (best, most delicious cloud juice ever, best flavor juice too in my opinion!), I also took the opportunity to try some "cotton bacon", which is pre-boiled/straightened/cut yadda yadd-ready to go cotton (and it's not worth the $5 guys, just letting you know if you were ever interested, KGD is 5x better.)

The spoils:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps somebody out there! I'm not claiming to be a "cloud master" by far, but I do like the biggest vapor possible for my ADV, so I've had a long time to perfect my craft, and I think (as this competition has helped confirm) I'm pretty darn good at makin' them clouds :vapor". Vape on mateys!

8. SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2013
    Ω England Ω
    HaaHaahaaaa you are a beast Tree :D is that almost 900watts? LoL

9. treehead

Feb 18, 2014
    Anchorage, AK, USA
    Nice build brother! I actually have some 18ga Nichrome(80) in the mail as we speak, which is alotta metal! lol I don't think I'll be twisting mine (for dual coils anyway), but how did this vape for you? I'm interested if it could heat up decently quick, that'd be awesome if it did, I bet the cooldown time was pretty long though eh? :p It seems like the kinda build that would keep vaping without you for a couple of seconds.

I like the looks of it though, those thick twists are practically their own juice channels, I be it almost doesn't need a wick!

10. treehead

Feb 18, 2014
    Anchorage, AK, USA
    "sleeper coils" (They used to be called continuous coils before Rip lol.) are pretty darn tricky brother, especially with a parallel build. I've done them a certain way which may help you too if your interested; simply wrap one perfect coil off the atty (of course) like normal, thread your leg through, and DON'T tighten down the already built side (it kinda helps so you can wiggle around a bit with the other coil).

Basically do business as usual, but *start wrapping the second coil a decent distance from the center post*, this will give you just enough room to build a perfect coil fairly easily, and once you have that last wrap remaining, you can actually twist and roll your screwdriver/drill bit toward the center post, essentially wrapping that last turn, thus closing the gap you left earlier.

It's a little tricky to guess the perfect distance you can start at, but it doesn't really matter if you overshoot, because you can always unscrew the center post and balance the difference. I hope this makes sense man, sleeper coils are a painful art! (And to be honest, I can tell you there's really no benefit to them, other than not having to drill your center post (which I'd rather do now lol).

I've been there, when you get it perfect, it is satisfying as hell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Froth

Froth Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2014
    Chipotle.
    I actually still have that same setup built and I've been using it periodically since I made it, it heats up pretty quick and unless you're ready for it there can be a real pissed off sizzle and pop for the first drag or two after it sits, I liken that happening to all of the juice sitting and collecting in the twists while it cools down. Cool down time is pretty slow, the entire top cap can get pretty hot if I'm not careful but it's manageable IMO.

12. rodeo302

Jun 10, 2014
    Minnesota
    Wow that's impressive treehead I might have to give that a shot sometime thanks for the pics.

13. suspectK

Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    Nice, treehead.. just goes to show how you don't have to do anything fancy.. just understand physics a little. Lol.

And I won't do "sleeper" coils. I'm glad I found out the original name. That makes sense..:)

14. johndoe1027

johndoe1027 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    NC, USA
    I get 441W. (Which, for the record is whattheF territory even by my standards).

What did I miss? Is that thing a quad 18650 in series/parallel?!?!

Actually, none of my math is working ATM. I'm getting 4.2V @ 0.04 ohm = 441W and 105A. Quad parallel VTC batteries? Tree, what have you done?!

15. johndoe1027

Sep 18, 2014
    NC, USA
    I mostly just want to know what's up with that black album-era Lars Ulrich tom in the back ground of the last pic.... You gon dent that head unless you're just tapping. :D

16. suspectK

Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    I change up my set a lot...but yeah, just tapping quietly around that time..have a neighbor next door that is old, but she has her hearing aids so loud, she could hear space traffic...so yeah... currently, everything is setup for rim shots..cuz I've been doing more heavy, dark stuff..but may keep them like that...cuz it's so random on when it bugs her.. Doesn't make sense really, but oh well.:)

Thanks for the input though...just in case I didn't know. ;)

17. johndoe1027

Sep 18, 2014
    NC, USA
    Hahaha that's funny about your neighbor. I have the opposite problem. Once I got a kit setup at my house I went around and asked the neighbors if it bothered them. My closest neighbor (elderly) said "Oh, you play drums? That's nice." :)

Glad to see another drummer on here. Had to give you a hard time one that crazy tom. I run mine flatter and lower. :cheers:

Also, nice coils!

18. suspectK

Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171867

I guess I'll post a pic there of the current setup, after I finally organize the jam room. Been in this house since May..lol.

This was actually the first house I went to my two neighbors, being considerate..I've been going solo since 2006..and there have been many bass speakers that have laid down their lives for the cause..but I guess I play decent enough to never get complaints until now...I actually didn't talk to the girl on the other side of me, but I took getting toys in great condition for my daughter as a sign they weren't bothered by me..

Maybe you need to add a bass synth+loop pedal/ableton to let your neighbors know what's going on. :)

But yeah...coils are fun;)

19. johndoe1027

Sep 18, 2014
    NC, USA
    Oh man, I'll have to spend some quality time with that thread soon. Definitely want to check out the tracks you posted. Lil late for me to jump into a 100 page thread tonight though. Don't worry, I'll plaster that bad boy with some pics too. Thanks for the link!

Psh, 6 months and you even have a music room?! I had to remodel this house when I got it. 3 YEARS with no drum set. It was a dark and sad time of my life. I don't want to talk about it. ;-)

Clouds are fun but drums win everything.

20. treehead

Feb 18, 2014
    Anchorage, AK, USA
    Lol thanks Slippy :D, I think some may call me a different name for this one (crazy maybe lmao) :p, but I promise it's just a temporary competition build!

It was actually 442 watts hehehe, I made it just for parallel battery mode to accomodate for the lower ohms. The thought of 900 watts scares me :oops:. As it should anybody lmao. (Sorry I didn't see this earlier bro, I think you replied to fast and I didn't catch it lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.